Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving From LA to Vegas....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Baker is an easy stop. Here I am last fall, all alone, 40 stalls no waiting.
20180923_092456.jpg

Reactions: Tam and jjgunn
Yep, Baker was good. There were between 1 and 3 other cars there when we were there, out of 40 stalls. On a Saturday, during many schools' spring break. Also, DQ Blizzard while you wait!

If you have an LR, you will make Baker easily from LA.

I have read that for the Model S going much faster than the speed limit will actually cause your trip to be LONGER because you burn thru so much charge that you have to stop to top up. I wonder what the math is on that and how it applies to the Model 3 which charges so fast. I am always driving into Superchargers and leaving again before a single S or X has moved.

-Randy

Unless your charging stops take you on a significant diversion, the ideal travel speed for minimizing trip time is generally somewhere north of 90 MPH. With SCv3, the ideal travel speed is well over 100 MPH. There are, of course, edge cases where this wouldn't apply.

We've driven Newport Beach to Las Vegas several times in our 2015 P85D with inefficient 21" tires & wheels at 75-85 mph (~ 350W/mile). Our favorite "pit stop" is the El Pollo Loco in Barstow since it's about mid-way between SoCal and Las Vegas. Typically by the time we plug into the Supercharger, walk a block to EPL, order, hit the restroom, and START eating, the Tesla app notifies us we have enough charge to leave. We take our time to finish eating which also gives us a "buffer charge" in case we hit big BIG desert headwinds or a traffic accident shutdown in the desert. (We've encountered both).

We definitely skip the Superchargers in Las Vegas, instead hitting Primm not only to avoid Supercharger Vegas congestion but also to avoid the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" crowd... whether we're going THROUGH or staying IN Vegas.

Doing this trip in a Model 3 (longer range and higher ~ 300W/mile efficiency) would definitely be easier and provide multiple Supercharger alternatives. EASY trip in M3, MS or MX.

Baker has no waiting but is also incredibly boring, with little to do unless you want to walk for while, and typical gas station restrooms. Yermo is much preferred.

@Zaxxon nailed it

Long lines for the SuCh'r in the Vegas city limits - besides, once you get there you want to have fun in that adult playground - not sit in line waiting to charge

Technically the Las Vegas city limit is at Sahara, so the Town Square superchargers are 5 miles outside the city limit. The whole the Strip is outside the city limit as well. Ironically, the superchargers downtown are likely to be less busy most of the time. There is also now Railroad Pass, out of the valley to the southeast, which is great if you want to take a trip out to Hoover Dam or Boulder City.

Planning a trip to Vegas sometime soon. When leaving Vegas and heading home to LA, I was planning on stopping in Primm to charge up. How is the Primm supercharger on the weekends? I am concerned that on a Sunday afternoon, it might be packed with lots of Teslas waiting to get back to LA. Anyone been to the Primm supercharger on a recent Sunday afternoon? Was there any wait?

Just drove from LA to LV, it was a breeze. Based on recommendations here stopped by Yermo, which was exactly halfway. Eddieworld is opened until midnight but their cafeteria closes at 9pm. Tons of candy if you are into that and clean bathroom. I left Thursday night, so SC was empty when i got there at night. On the way back Sunday, more people but still at most half full.

A Better Routeplanner helped a lot to judge how much charge was needed, it was right on point estimating it.

Which hotels are are the most EV friendly? Which with Tesla destination chargers? Do valets charge your car for you if you tipped them well?

I stayed at Cosmo, asked Valet if they have chargers and Valet said they got 4 of them. So I got "free" charge there. You can always search via PlugShare App/

IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1851.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
Eddieworld is opened until midnight but their cafeteria closes at 9pm. Tons of candy if you are into that and clean bathroom

I just got back from my first LA to Vegas trip. Yes, Eddie's World is a unique and fun place. My favorite item sold at Eddie's World is Peet's Coffee.

We stopped at the Yermo and Primm, NV superchargers on the way in. No wait at either one.

On the way back, we skipped Yermo and decided to charge at the Barstow supercharger instead. It is close to an In-N-Out burger and is in the same parking lot as a Chili's restaurant. So there are definitely more food options in Barstow. Since there is only a 13-mile distance between Barstow and Yermo, I thought this would be helpful info for those travelling to or from Vegas.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
On the way back, we skipped Yermo and decided to charge at the Barstow supercharger instead. It is close to an In-N-Out burger and is in the same parking lot as a Chili's restaurant. So there are definitely more food options in Barstow. Since there is only a 13-mile distance between Barstow and Yermo, I thought this would be helpful info for those travelling to or from Vegas.

I used to be a HUGE In-n-Out fan, but I think the quality and size of their patties has goner drastically downhill over the last 10 years. The burgers available at Eddies are excellent!

Planning a trip to Vegas sometime soon. When leaving Vegas and heading home to LA, I was planning on stopping in Primm to charge up. How is the Primm supercharger on the weekends? I am concerned that on a Sunday afternoon, it might be packed with lots of Teslas waiting to get back to LA. Anyone been to the Primm supercharger on a recent Sunday afternoon? Was there any wait?

i'm guessing from your last post you already did this trip, but i'll chime in with my experience from last weekend going the other way (we left home in so cal on sunday morning and drove up to vegas and came back mid-week)...

on the way there, we stopped at yermo because that's where i always try to stop since it's just about halfway and ideal for a bathroom / snack break. we got the last available slot, but there was one stall that was non-operational. when we left there were several spots open. checking the in car nav a few times along the way, showed both barstow and yermo being just about full most of the time (probably people on their way home), baker usually about half to 3/4 full, and primm usually just about empty.

as a time reference point, we left home around 10:30 and arrived in vegas around 3pm. the timestamp on my tesla account for my charging stop in yermo was at 12:54pm.

on the way home (wednesday afternoon), checking the map showed primm, baker, yermo and barstow all pretty much wide open. we got to yermo at 2:44pm to charge, and there were only 2 or 3 other cars there IIRC.

• Helpful
Reactions: joebruin77