Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in icy/snow condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seems to me you may have released your foot too hard, and it was the regen that locked up. In winter conditions, you may be better off with regen set to low. In snowy condition, I decelerate very progressively and never just lift my foot off the gas.
It seems to me that the ABS should have kicked in or something. If I took my foot off of the gas too fast it was due to only going 25mph and approaching a hairpin curve. At a higher speed I can see that strategy working so that it doesn't brake/slide.

No ABS did not kick in at all. Just a plain old four wheel slide. It was like a pounded the brakes and did not let up. Weird feeling, definitely a defect in the car design/system.

Wow that is not fun. I just got pre-owned X and I had my rear end slide out with only a little bit of icy snow. I quickly put new tires on as the original ContiSilent had 28k miles on them.

Glad you're ok and thank you for reporting the issue with the car just sliding :(

I was driving Model X 100D in Vermont just b4 Thanksgiving this year on a snow covered road with an inch or two max. Headed downhill at right hairpin turn. I took my foot off of go pedal and she locked up in a slide. No ABS no braking just a slide. Crossed the street and slammed into guard rail at 20 mph est.

Can someone tell me what is up did I do something wrong or is this a flaw?

Hit my head on driver door frame at the sun visor area, concussed from it. No airbag deployed.

Drove away from it with mangled front bumper assembly.

Help!

Tell us more about your wheels and tires. 20" or 22"? Performance summer tires or all-seasons? How much tread is left?

Reactions: Bogobec