Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on AP with HW2.5 through cones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
I’m looking for a volunteer that has a Model 3 with HW2.5 (so likely built prior to 04/2019) and is on 2019.36.x with EAP or FSD, to do the following:

1. Find a road or highway on which cones or barrels are placed in such a way that drivable lanes are shifted from the painted line markings

2. Drive through this road on Autopilot (make sure to enable AP before reaching the cones or barrels)

3. Report back to let us know if the car shifts correctly to stay centered between the cones instead of the existing lane markings

4. (optional) *SAFELY* have a video taken of this event by a passenger or fixed camera - please be safe and keep both hands on the steering wheel!

I know cones are only visualized on the screen in cars that have HW3 as of 2019.36.x, but the theory is that HW2.5 still recognizes them. I would also like to know if it can correct the drivable path through cones if/when it recognizes them.

Kudos to the brave ones out there, willing to test for the rest of us in the name of science!

...volunteer...

There's a video showing British FSD could go through traffic cones that are arranged very differently than the painted lane markers 3 months ago. The system prioritized the cones and not the painted lines.

Another one at night and it was almost all successful but this time, the cones are set up so that at the end, it could not automatically do a sharp turn to the left to avoid the traffic cones that were blocking right in front. The human had to take over for that sharp turn.

Last edited:
I’m afraid of a total if I hit a cone.

Though I do have gap coverage to cover the 20K spread between what the car is worth and what I owe. :D

It will buff right out, unless you drive over a cone.
Then the battery might spontaneously self destruct.
:eek:

Just kidding, mine has survived a few autoXs and more than a few relocated cones with zero damage to anything, other than the tires.

There's a video showing British FSD could go through traffic cones that are arranged very differently than the painted lane markers 3 months ago. The system prioritized the cones and not the painted lines.

Another one at night and it was almost all successful but this time, the cones are set up so that at the end, it could not automatically do a sharp turn to the left to avoid the traffic cones that were blocking right in front. The human had to take over for that sharp turn.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Is that a HW3 car though?

Mine is a 7/19 build so almost certainly HW3, but I noticed cones appeared today after the updated and drove well around them. The car seemed to favor the inside of the lane which is what I would have a tendency to do in the same area. Again not HW2.5, but an illustration for those who are curious.

A842ABE2-0A84-4ABC-8265-8D693A2FB95D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and Dre78
Interesting, thanks for sharing! Is that a HW3 car though?

We only know it's a Model X but there's no info how old.

UK usually do not get the features first, USA do.

3 months ago, USA software should be around 2019.28.3.1.

So, I have no clue how this UK owner got the traffic cone avoidance feature way ahead of USA 3 months ago!

I have driven on lanes with cones and it does react to them with prior firmwares and 2.5

Interesting, did you have Autopilot engaged prior to reaching the cones and it moved appropriately to follow them as a new lane demarcation?
I drove on a section of I-5 that had lanes shifted by cones while on 2019.32.12.2, which is the version I had just prior to 36.2.1, and my car did not follow the cones on Autopilot.

Interesting, did you have Autopilot engaged prior to reaching the cones and it moved appropriately to follow them as a new lane demarcation?
I drove on a section of I-5 that had lanes shifted by cones while on 2019.32.12.2, which is the version I had just prior to 36.2.1, and my car did not follow the cones on Autopilot.
I can absolutely confirm this. Driven through miles and miles of cones on autopilot well before version 10. The car did not see them as cones until recently but treated them as the edge of the road. I've got MCU2 and HW2.5

Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m looking for a volunteer that has a Model 3 with HW2.5 (so likely built prior to 04/2019) and is on 2019.36.x with EAP or FSD, to do the following:

1. Find a road or highway on which cones or barrels are placed in such a way that drivable lanes are shifted from the painted line markings

2. Drive through this road on Autopilot (make sure to enable AP before reaching the cones or barrels)

3. Report back to let us know if the car shifts correctly to stay centered between the cones instead of the existing lane markings

4. (optional) *SAFELY* have a video taken of this event by a passenger or fixed camera - please be safe and keep both hands on the steering wheel!

I know cones are only visualized on the screen in cars that have HW3 as of 2019.36.x, but the theory is that HW2.5 still recognizes them. I would also like to know if it can correct the drivable path through cones if/when it recognizes them.

Kudos to the brave ones out there, willing to test for the rest of us in the name of science!

I drove through a construction zone on AP guided by cones (route took us totally on the other side of median and back, was maybe a bit less than 1km) LAST SUMMER. That was at about 30 or 40km/hr with the big cylinder cones.

It was funny because I had a friend in the car and I was telling him how impressed I was, he thought that it was easy and then a couple of days later a mobile eye or nvidia car ran demonstration screwed up and drove through some cones lol.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
HW2.5 model X 219.36.2.1
I drive every day through a construction section where they put cones to shift the lane to the left and then back to the original (painted) lane.
The car drives the entire section and merges back into the original lane just perfectly. I do it for a couple weeks already every week day.

However, it was doing it long before this firmware, as I tested it in a similar scenario about 8 months ago and it was working perfectly fine.

In both cases it's city driving, not freeway.

I think with this release, what they have improved according to release notes is that when on NoA on a freeway the car would change the lane in advance if it sees cones ahead that merge your lane into another. Currently, my car on NoA on a freeway would drive all the way to the cones and then would try to move to other lane using cones as lane marks which in most cases not successful as it's too late and cars in the other lane won't allow my car just easily move there.

Sounds like I intervened too early a few days ago then... I saw the cones up ahead merging my lane into the next one and hit the indicator to change lane. At that point NoA wasn't giving any indication it wanted to move over to avoid them.

I have noticed on HW2.5 that cone visualization lags at highway speed. When I drive by one, or just a few, I am usually past them or very nearly past them before they visualize. My MS is getting its HW3 upgrade right now and I am going to test to see if the lag is gone later today.

I have noticed on HW2.5 that cone visualization lags at highway speed. When I drive by one, or just a few, I am usually past them or very nearly past them before they visualize. My MS is getting its HW3 upgrade right now and I am going to test to see if the lag is gone later today.

Are you sure it visualizes them at all, and that you're on HW3? I don't think anyone else with HW2.5 has _any_ visualization of cones.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker