Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving through Europe in a UK car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

absln

Feb 10, 2022
London
Not sure if this has been covered before, but how well does the cruise control work when driving through Europe? I'm not sure if there is a big difference in how this works with the different autopilot options when using a UK car through different European countries.

Cheers

From someone that drove from London to the Algarve twice since purchasing a Model 3 - quite perfectly. Even better than most highways in the UK in my opinion, given that the roads there are more straight and wide, require fewer constant lane changes and are kept to a generally higher standard (the toll roads, that is).

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
From someone that drove from London to the Algarve twice since purchasing a Model 3 - quite perfectly. Even better than most highways in the UK in my opinion, given that the roads there are more straight and wide, require fewer constant lane changes and are kept to a generally higher standard (the toll roads, that is).
and quieter (smoother)

I've driven an AP1 car a lot in Europe and that worked fine, It's actually easier as their roads, especially the toll roads/peage, seem to be less busy which I find makes AP happier as its largely just stay between the lines for hours.

Reactions: loop68
Not sure if this has been covered before, but how well does the cruise control work when driving through Europe? I'm not sure if there is a big difference in how this works with the different autopilot options when using a UK car through different European countries.

Cheers
Keep us informed about your trip and what works and what doesn’t ....for when I bring my Tesla to England

Reactions: Wattsisname
1644533471895.png

The manual suggests that it's fine to drive on the other side of the road with the lights on their stock settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
When driving in Germany on unlimited speed sections, note that Autopilot has a max speed it will operate at. German roads are lovely. Italian roads not. I did more autopilot in Europe that UK, helps with really long drives. Less tiring, more alert. I found it better to stop more frequently than recharging needed. Stretch of legs and coffee for alertness & safety.

Reactions: loop68
SR+, LR, or P? Just curious :)
P

When driving in Germany on unlimited speed sections, note that Autopilot has a max speed it will operate at. German roads are lovely. Italian roads not. I did more autopilot in Europe that UK, helps with really long drives. Less tiring, more alert. I found it better to stop more frequently than recharging needed. Stretch of legs and coffee for alertness & safety.
Totally agree. I would often stop at SuC that I could've skipped in order to break up the drives a bit. Did all of France in one 13 hour stint with maybe 4 or 5 quick charge stops. Barely felt it at all.
Spent probably 90% of the time on AP (no FSD).
Can't wait to try it in my MYLR when it arrives..

N.B anyone in the market for a mid 2020 M3P in white? 😁

I'm not looking for a fanboy, OP, but if you >search< my postings you'll discover my enjoyable trips to Spain and back on at least 8 occasions using a combination of SCs, Destination Chargers and the UMC "granny" cable travelling via the tunnel and boats, approx 80pc on Autopilot . It's easier to go 1000 miles from Beds to Girona than it is to get from Beds to Hull (a charger desert!)

Best find the search button for other reasons too ;)

Last edited: