Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drone from running gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
My Model 3 LR is coming up to two years old and has done 22k miles. I’ve noticed over the last few months a droning noise that sounds like the bearings or similar that increases in volume with speed. It’s most noticeable on smooth, good quality tarmac where tyre roar doesn’t drown it out. Has anyone else had anything similar? The tyres are due a change - could it be that? Any input appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
My Model 3 LR is coming up to two years old and has done 22k miles. I’ve noticed over the last few months a droning noise that sounds like the bearings or similar that increases in volume with speed. It’s most noticeable on smooth, good quality tarmac where tyre roar doesn’t drown it out. Has anyone else had anything similar? The tyres are due a change - could it be that? Any input appreciated!
From your description it does sound like a wheel bearing to me. Not unknown … read a comment elsewhere of someone who had one done at a relatively low mileage.

My MS recently had to have the rear motor replaced (under warranty) but was OK to drive with a single motor. I noticed a significantly different sound, very much like an old electric milk cart (if you can remember them), as I accelerated or decelerated. Once the motor had been replaced and I was driving with two motors again, no sound of that sort is heard. It may be worthwhile getting a Ranger or a SC appointment just to be on the safe side.

Interesting, my model 3 Performance is just coming up to 2 years old with less than 15k. I too, am becoming aware of a fairly light 'wheel bearing' type of noise.
It isn't always there, if it becomes noisier or more persistent I will log a call..