Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove into the garage with my bike on the roof rack...tell me how the damage looks (mainly to my wallet)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scared of turning that $20k drop into a realized loss
Car's are consumable items. The last couple years of used Tesla's selling for more than new are over and with the new price cuts on new cars, makes the resale value of used cars even lower. Tesla's are expensive luxury items so the loss of "paper value" sucks. Every day the value of your Tesla will decrease with mileage driven and days passing.

25eea4cf-4760-4cbd-bf8b-6f2f9669ad03-jpeg.931423

Always a huge fear of mine. Especially since I use a roof rack on my 3 but a hitch mount on the Y soI got this on Amazon and I have it attached to the inside of my door so when the door is open it hangs down and I’m staring right at it.

Well, good idea but not helpfull if you are not at home !!!

I hit the branch of a tree in the parking lot of an hotel...
The bicycle fork failed from the rack and created a big dent into my car roof.
To avoid this situation again, I put a rope between the front bumper and the bike,
and added a flag on it at the height than my eyes, .

But with a Tesla with a glass roof, I will never put a bike on a roof carrier.

Update for anyone following: STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE NEW GLASS FROM TESLA. I call the shop every week hoping "squeaky wheel gets the grease" but squeaky wheel hasn't gotten *sugar*.

Coming up on 4 months and still no repairs done from this accident.

Shop INSISTS it's a Tesla problem...

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Update for anyone following: STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE NEW GLASS FROM TESLA. I call the shop every week hoping "squeaky wheel gets the grease" but squeaky wheel hasn't gotten *sugar*.

Coming up on 4 months and still no repairs done from this accident.

Shop INSISTS it's a Tesla problem...
Try a different shop. Yes I realize the shop is blaming Tesla, but…

Or maybe have it done at a service center? My service center replaced my windshield. They may do the roof as well.

View attachment 931423
Always a huge fear of mine. Especially since I use a roof rack on my 3 but a hitch mount on the Y soI got this on Amazon and I have it attached to the inside of my door so when the door is open it hangs down and I’m staring right at it.
Put a tow hitch on your car and use a bicycle rack with that, and no more fear about destroying your car, bicycles, and garage at the same time.

Oof - sorry that happened. I know how you feel - a month ago I was parking and not in the right headspace and a concrete column came out of nowhere and did about $15K+ worth of damage. Luckily I haven't had a claim in over 20y so it's my one freebie.

I would guess the damage to the a pillar is not that bad, although a body shop will tell you for sure. To me it looks like the metal was dented from the rack, but not structurally compromised.

If something needs to be replaced, say that portion cut out and replaced, it's likely going to be a long time for parts. It's been 1 month so far since parts were ordered and I was advised up to 6 weeks just for parts. Then getting in a queue to have the work done.

Hope it works out for you.

Try a different shop. Yes I realize the shop is blaming Tesla, but…

Or maybe have it done at a service center? My service center replaced my windshield. They may do the roof as well.
Service center is out because the frame rails need repair right where the glass is. My first call was to Tesla SC and that's what they told me.

I emailed my insurance agent and asked if we can try a different shop.

Update:

Called my local service center again. They said I can personally drive down, purchase glass from them (which they have in stock), and deliver it to my body shop.

Thoughts? Any tips on how to transport a large piece of slightly curved glass?

P.S. how the fu<k is there a crate of Model 3 glass 50 miles away from my body shop and my shop can't get it from Tesla?

Update:

Got my car back from the body shop. You would never even know the damage occurred.

It took 4 months for my car to get fixed. 2 weeks in, The body shop told me the first piece of glass came in broken and that they had to order it again. After weeks of waiting for the 2nd glass order, the story was that "there is a supply chain issue and there is nothing [we] can do except wait for Tesla to send the 2nd glass". Another month goes by. I called my insurance agent and asked him to reach out to the shop. Same story. Except this time they told him "the 2nd glass order ALSO arrived broken" which is something they never told me....

Finally, I called the service center closest to me (2 hours away) and asked if they had Model 3 roof glass. They said "we have a couple crates of them, come on down and buy one". I then called the body shop (who are an hour closer to Tesla than I am. They are in between me and Tesla) and told them what Tesla just told me. Lo and behold, within 2 days I get a call that "my glass has arrived from Tesla!" They got me scheduled for the repairs, and from drop off to completion was 1 week.

Moral of the story: if you're ever waiting on a body shop glass order, go over their head and speak to the service center about the glass. Tell your shop to get the f**king glass from the service center instead of waiting for a mail order from wherever tf.

The body shop would adamantly remind me that "they ordered the glass and it keeps arriving broken".

I 100% file this as a body shop issue and not a Tesla issue. It feels like the body shop was doing f*ck all to actually try to get the glass. They were just clicking "order now" and then saying their hands were tied. I shouldn't have to track down the glass my self.

Update:

Got my car back from the body shop. You would never even know the damage occurred.

It took 4 months for my car to get fixed. 2 weeks in, The body shop told me the first piece of glass came in broken and that they had to order it again. After weeks of waiting for the 2nd glass order, the story was that "there is a supply chain issue and there is nothing [we] can do except wait for Tesla to send the 2nd glass". Another month goes by. I called my insurance agent and asked him to reach out to the shop. Same story. Except this time they told him "the 2nd glass order ALSO arrived broken" which is something they never told me....

Finally, I called the service center closest to me (2 hours away) and asked if they had Model 3 roof glass. They said "we have a couple crates of them, come on down and buy one". I then called the body shop (who are an hour closer to Tesla than I am. They are in between me and Tesla) and told them what Tesla just told me. Lo and behold, within 2 days I get a call that "my glass has arrived from Tesla!" They got me scheduled for the repairs, and from drop off to completion was 1 week.

Moral of the story: if you're ever waiting on a body shop glass order, go over their head and speak to the service center about the glass. Tell your shop to get the f**king glass from the service center instead of waiting for a mail order from wherever tf.

The body shop would adamantly remind me that "they ordered the glass and it keeps arriving broken".

I 100% file this as a body shop issue and not a Tesla issue. It feels like the body shop was doing f*ck all to actually try to get the glass. They were just clicking "order now" and then saying their hands were tied. I shouldn't have to track down the glass my self.
This matches with many accounts of how body shops do things. They just say they have ordered a part (which they may or may not have) and then put your car into storage, when being even a slight bit more proactive can easily get the part shortly delivered. Unfortunately owners have to do the parts ordering legwork themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16