TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dry Steering creaking noise.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by M109Rider, Mar 22, 2019.

1. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

This may be common, it may not.

When my model 3 auto parks, the power steering emits a grinding or creaking sound when auto park is turning the wheels and the car isn’t moving. (Dry steering).

It’s not a metal grinding like something is broken, and it’s not the normal whirring sound the steering wheel makes when spinning either.
    More of a creaking sound, similar to grinding, like it’s pushing the gears too hard or something.
    Anyone else’s steering make that sound.?

2. AP-123

AP-123 Member

Mine made a noise when turning the wheel. Took it in and they fixed it.

3. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

What did they do to fix it?

4. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Same here. It only happens when steering on dry pavement without the wheels turning. The super smooth concrete in my garage doesn’t not cause it though. Only rough pavement.

5. Altimas

Altimas Member

Any followup to this? Should I bring mine in? I have the same issue. I'm not sure if this is an actual issue, I rarely 'dry steer'.

6. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Took mine in. They said it’s common and not a problem.
    I rarely dry steer, and the steering never makes that noise, and has never given me a problem in any other way.
    Sounds like it’s nothing to worry about.