Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual motor non performance thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't speak to the Performance model but I have had my non-P AWD for 3 days now and it's everything I could have hoped for and more. In my personal situation, I can't imagine justifying the extra price for P now that I've experienced my regular AWD car. Trust me, it's PLENTY.
I have to imagine that's true. Most of the time I'm not going nuts and it's still the best car I've ever driven.

I can't speak to the Performance model but I have had my non-P AWD for 3 days now and it's everything I could have hoped for and more. In my personal situation, I can't imagine justifying the extra price for P now that I've experienced my regular AWD car. Trust me, it's PLENTY.
Great to hear! I pick mine up in less than 3 hours, and also just couldn't justify the additional 5 figures for 1 second faster 0-60 through software, and binned parts.

I agree. I have test driven the P-AWD and have now had my non-P for a few days. The subjective experience according to my "butt dyno" is almost the same. It's more than enough unless you want to go on the track. You can easily pass just about anyone on the road before they even know what's happening. The only problem with these cars is that they go from zero to illegal much too quickly. ;)

I agree. I have test driven the P-AWD and have now had my non-P for a few days. The subjective experience according to my "butt dyno" is almost the same. It's more than enough unless you want to go on the track. You can easily pass just about anyone on the road before they even know what's happening. The only problem with these cars is that they go from zero to illegal much too quickly. ;)
Having driven both, does your butt dyno notice a significant difference in torque off the line? I test drove a RWD and P3D, and while the former was definitely quick, the latter had me feeling the skin on my face being pushed back when I floored it...hoping to maybe get juuust a smidge of that in my upcoming non-P?

Having driven both, does your butt dyno notice a significant difference in torque off the line? I test drove a RWD and P3D, and while the former was definitely quick, the latter had me feeling the skin on my face being pushed back when I floored it...hoping to maybe get juuust a smidge of that in my upcoming non-P?
Well, I didn't feel it was *that* strong in the P (nowhere near the initial launch in my friend's Model S P85D, which frankly made me feel a bit sick in my stomach). To me it felt more like a swift kick in the butt that throws your head back a little, then a strong pull (and a slight blur), and next you know you're way faster than the police allows. In the P you're kicked by a horse, in the non-P it's more like a mule. ;)

Well, I didn't feel it was *that* strong in the P (nowhere near the initial launch in my friend's Model S P85D, which frankly made me feel a bit sick in my stomach). To me it felt more like a swift kick in the butt that throws your head back a little, then a strong pull (and a slight blur), and next you know you're way faster than the police allows. In the P you're kicked by a horse, in the non-P it's more like a mule. ;)
I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of an S gut punch, but my current VW is probably the equivalent of being kicked by a deer so I'll take a mule kick any day! Maybe that's what I'll name her...

Yeah, I felt the same. My Model S can do 4.2 seconds 0-60 but maybe due to the heavier weight, I felt more pull in my seats with S75D than P3D. I test drove P3D+ but for some reason it wasn't as high acceleration as I had expected.

Regardless, the P3D is a nice car overall for its price.

Yeah, I felt the same. My Model S can do 4.2 seconds 0-60 but maybe due to the heavier weight, I felt more pull in my seats with S75D than P3D. I test drove P3D+ but for some reason it wasn't as high acceleration as I had expected.

Regardless, the P3D is a nice car overall for its price.

I suspect that heavier pull is due to the dual AC synchronous motors on the S, versus a SRM and AC Synch. motor on the P3D. I suspect that they used the AC synch motor for the faster initial response.

I put dragy AWD graph on top of P3D - its not perfect. I used 3.5 second P3D run and the only AWD I see (4.67). AWD slope is really bad @ 7.75%. We need more AWD results.

lLZvr3c.jpg

Last edited:
Are the two yellow lines acceleration of the P3D and the AWD? If so, the wiggles seem to be pretty much parallel with one another. What does that suggest to you?

From 0-60 the gap seems quite consistent. Acceleration happens to "meet" at 60 which could further prove that 60mph+ both cars perform the same. I think it's interesting the performance gap doesn't really taper off as it nears 60mph - this makes me think both cars are further software limited at 60+. The 1/4 mile times also indicate that P3D gets its 1 second trap advantage in the initial 0-60.

And obviously there are lots of factors that go into dragy so it's never going to be perfect. And the 7% increase in elevation is a big disadvantage to AWD in this example - but I'm sure we will see more Dragy data very soon.