Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor with aero vs RWD with sport rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mom just got a RWD with sport rims. I have a dual motor with aero's. I find that if I drive at 70 mph on the freeway I will get my rated range (my car charges to 266 at 90%). Today I got to drive around my mom's car and drove it at 70 mph on the freeway and got 90% efficiency. Her car charges to 292 miles at 90% charge. With very limited research I have come to the conclusion that AWD with Aero Rims has the same range as RWD with sport rims. It was weird seeing the rated miles so high but it isn't really accurate to real world driving. I suspect a RWD with Aero Rims would get the rated range just as my DM does. Anybody else have more experience with this?

There are so many factors that go into dictating actual range and consumption that there is no way to do an apples-apples test unless you were doing with very controlled variables. Ambient temperature, battery temperate, elevation, incline, wind direction + speed, etc are all going to affect consumption.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

If the RWD is getting higher wh than your AWD, then your test methodology is flawed or her car has an issue.

If Tesla used epa ratings on each option, rwd would be over 330.miles while yours is 310.
According to this chart you provided. the sport wheeled RWD LR should be slightly less efficient than a Dual Motor with Aero Rims. The "should be rated" range for my car is 309 and her RWD is 301