Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb Question (For Those Who Sold Their S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think that your place is safe. Keep us posted.

Been checking everyday but the true test will be when the new owner converts all the info from my app and car into his name and account. Also when the title comes in the mail and I officially sign it over.

Pretty nerve racking but also may just bite the bullet and get the LR but really wanted that white interior but who knows when that will be if even near mid year.

Tough call.

My belief is there is no fancy algorithm at work. You place a reservation for a 3, it queues you in line for the ladder you are on.

Owner + 1st day instore reservation
Owner + Online reservation
Non-owner instore reservation
Etc

Would be a waste of programming (and also petty) to constantly do iterative loops to kick out people who used to be in a certain tier but are now demoted due to not belonging in the owners class.

You can lose your original car by means other than selling it. Totaled in a car accident, divorce settlement, etc

On the other hand, rather than having gone through their database and placed every into a certain category they could do the assignments when they are ready to take orders.

On the day they are ready to start accepting orders from current owners who placed a 1st day in store reservation they run a query for the folks who fit that description and send off the invites. A few weeks later they run a query for people who are owners and have an online reservation and send off their invites, etc.

In that case if your status has changed before the invite is sent out then your current status at the time of the invite would apply. No wasted programming or petty class changing and frankly, probably more efficient programming than trying to set up additional fields in the database trying to precatagorize everyone.

Of course this is all speculation... no one really knows what’s going on behind the scenes. But as I said above, in the case of the OP, since he has already received his invite, I believe that he would be safe. I can’t imagine that they would ‘uninvite’ anyone after their invite has been sent out.

There are reports on the Tesla 3 Owner's Club forum of prior owners being invited along with current owners. I've seen it in two contexts: someone who owned two Tesla's and now owns one is still invited to configure both of their Model 3's and someone who sold their only Tesla months ago is still invited to configure their 3 now.

Is this policy or a glitch in the matrix? I dunno. It's reportedly happening, though.

Moreover, I agree with the folks who are saying that Tesla isn't going to yank a configuration away because you sold your S in anticipation of your 3's arrival. That would be extremely poor customer service and, while Tesla chases their tail sometimes, they tend to avoid such things.

There are reports on the Tesla 3 Owner's Club forum of prior owners being invited along with current owners. I've seen it in two contexts: someone who owned two Tesla's and now owns one is still invited to configure both of their Model 3's and someone who sold their only Tesla months ago is still invited to configure their 3 now.

Is this policy or a glitch in the matrix? I dunno. It's reportedly happening, though.

Moreover, I agree with the folks who are saying that Tesla isn't going to yank a configuration away because you sold your S in anticipation of your 3's arrival. That would be extremely poor customer service and, while Tesla chases their tail sometimes, they tend to avoid such things.

Allowing prior owners to keep a reservation still falls under the spirit of "giving back to those who supported Tesla's mission". I don't think they'd pull it, as you said, that would be bad optics.

@Cnasty

I think this is like with Model X Signature etc.

The priority is probably mostly about getting access to the configurator, who gets it. Once you get that, the rest is about timing of your actual order, regional batching etc. Once you get it, you are in, so you get priority in getting in - but the second line is the one where the people who configured are, that you can only join by ordering and I doubt there is any priority on that level (only regional/model batching etc.). So you won't be helped or harmed by no longer being a Model S owner...

I would think you are safe. Over time there simply will be more people getting access to the configurator, which may of course extend the line in front of you, of people who have ordered already. But that line would be the same even with your Model S.

This is my guess.

Reactions: Cnasty
if you want to be safe, why not wait until the VIN is assigned before selling the S?

Because I dont want to configure yet as I hold out for AWD/White interior or the beginning of February to see if SR becomes available.

That being said, my wife has FINALLY chosen a color and we may configure tonight so we will see.

Great discussion though and as I prefaced..maybe a dumb question but as we have seen many truly dont know and I dont think we still do :)

What did she pick? I hard pressed my wife to go with red again. She was leaning toward the grey. I just loved the MS we had in red. Wanted it again.

Update:

I pushed hard for the red as I have never owned a red car and LOVE the way the 3 looks in red but in the end, this is her car.

She narrowed it down and tonight we took the plunge and didnt feel waiting was worth it as the battery upgrade is great for road trips, resale value, and we loved the black interior in our S.

Name pending!

Thank You
Your Order is Confirmed

compositor