Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dyno Results for Model S refresh LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if they don't, that is the standard in the US. i.e. if you compare the MSP the MSLR with 1 foot deducted, the MSLR is probably beating it's 0-60 while the Plaid almost never gets 1.99. In fact, I've never seen a Plaid actually get 1.99. I've seen like 2.05.

The MSLR is as fast to 60 as my P85D (before I upgraded to L) was which was quoted at 3.1 with the rollout.
Rollout is not standard. Many cars will in fact beat their quoted 0-60 times quite handily without having to resort to misleading things like rollout. And Tesla deliberately goes out of its way to mention rollout is subtracted for the Plaid and Performance models, but no such language exists for the long range or RWD models.

MSLR beats its time with rollout because the quoted time is without rollout. The Plaid on the other hand needs a drag strip prepped with glue to get under 2 seconds with the rollout subtracted. 2.3ish is more realistic for the real world

Also worth noting the LR should have ~200hp on a P85D. Though the front motor is down on power quite a bit in the beginning -- I suspect deliberately.

1708760607193.png

1708760640961.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: sorka
Rollout is not standard.

Subtracting rollout in the standard in the US but not Europe. It's illegal to list a 0-60 spec with the 1 foot subtracted. MT, C&D, and every other magazine in the US subtracts rollout when the do their own testing which will make the LR look better than claimed. Tesla could make the LR look better than it does by leveling the playing field with the Plaid and claiming a lower time with the rollout subtracted but if they do, then it will close the gap with the Plaid and some might decide the MSLR is fast enough and by that instead of the Plaid.

"Our results will now include the industry standard 1-foot rollout before the clock starts on acceleration runs."

"We run from zero to the maximum practical speed increment above the quarter mile. As does the NHRA, we subtract a "1-foot" (about 11.5 inches in reality) rollout from the launch to replicate dragstrip time measurement equipment"

Last edited:
Subtracting rollout in the US is standard. MT, C&D, and every other magazine in the US subtracts rollout when the do their own testing which will make the LR look better than claimed. Tesla could make the LR look better than it does by leveling the playing field with the Plaid and claiming a lower time with the rollout subtracted but if they do, then it will close the gap with the Plaid.
It never has been and never will be standard to subtract rollout from a 0-60. It was standard for 1/4 miles. Car and Driver did some bullshit and they consistently had lower times than other magazine accordingly. Nonetheless, manufacturer quoted 0-60s do not subtract rollout and generally are more conservative than what you can get in the real world.

Tesla's standard has always been to subtract rollout from their performance models, largely to make them look better than they are as you noted. They do not subtract rollout from non-performance models.

Reactions: MuppetOwl
It never has been and never will be standard to subtract rollout from a 0-60. It was standard for 1/4 miles. Car and Driver did some bullshit and they consistently had lower times than other magazine accordingly. Nonetheless, manufacturer quoted 0-60s do not subtract rollout and generally are more conservative than what you can get in the real world.

Tesla's standard has always been to subtract rollout from their performance models, largely to make them look better than they are as you noted. They do not subtract rollout from non-performance models.

And motortrend and every other magazine. Got back and read my edited reply which I submitted at the same time as your last reply.

So who gives a crap about what the magazines do? It is not standard for auto manufacturers to subtract rollout from their quoted times.

It is in the US. Just because Tesla didn't for the LR doesn't mean it isn't standard. All manufacturers do it because they want they're 0-60s to look as good as possible and since every manufacturer does it, if one decides not to, then they look worse compared to the competition. Tesla is the only exception because they're intentionally gimping their non performance model to drive sales towards the performance model.

The magazines do it, the NHRA does it, and in the US, dragstrip equipment does it.

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone has done this dyno yet. Yes a dyno is just a tool and can be manipulated, I used to run one, but it would be nice to see. Otherwise I’ll have to see about a dyno around me here in Denver.
Go hit it up, not many people with an LR want to go on the dyno. I'm personally interested to see what you put down. Would assume it's right on the advertised numbers since every other Tesla is, minus a random anomaly here and there.

Reactions: cptnslo