Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E-Zpass Transponder Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Model S and had to install my E-Zpass on the front bumper. Can anyone with a Model 3 and E-Zpass tell me if it is the same or if it now works with standard interior install.
I believe the owner manual indicates you can mount it to the right side of the mirror.

“Using RFID Transponders When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model 3, place the transponder on the right side of the rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof transponder to the front license plate.”

Reactions: nutts1
Yes it works on the windshield on the right side of the AP camera housing. If you have the newer style E-Zpass, make sure you keep it mounted horizontally otherwise it might not work.

Side note: I also have mine plastic-dipped blacked to match the headliner in my S, but I kept it white for the Model 3.

Mine works fine when I hold it in the recommended spot to the right of the rear view mirror. I haven't mounted it yet, trying to decide if I want to find a more concealed spot (I put the model S transponder under the nosecone). At delivery, The DS said the Model 3 does not have the same windshield coating that interfered with transmission on the Model S. I actually forgot to hold the transponder up in the Model 3 recently (it was in the center storage cubby) and the toll tag still registered which suggests alternative mounting positions may be viable.

I wish car manufacturers would install a generic/universal version of these in a concealed location. I like being able to use homelink instead of my garage door openers, why not something similar for these ugly pieces of plastic?

Reactions: smatthew
Has anyone tried mounting it under the hood? That's plastic, isn't it? It's hard to test now here in MA, as we've gone over to full-speed on the road tolling, so there's no light to confirm your tag was read.
Do you mean the front bumper cover? The hood is aluminum so that would definitely block the signal (they mail them in aluminum foil presumably to prevent them from activating while in the mail truck).

Do you mean the front bumper cover? The hood is aluminum so that would definitely block the signal (they mail them in aluminum foil presumably to prevent them from activating while in the mail truck).
No, I meant the hood, I thought it was fiberglass or some other kind of plastic. Quite right, aluminum is a no go. The bumper cover won't work here, as ice/snow buildup blocks the signal on the license-mounted ones, I assume it would be same with it inside the bumper.

No, I meant the hood, I thought it was fiberglass or some other kind of plastic. Quite right, aluminum is a no go. The bumper cover won't work here, as ice/snow buildup blocks the signal on the license-mounted ones, I assume it would be same with it inside the bumper.
I haven't had any problems with snow/ice under the license-plate mounted transponder which I duct taped to the steel bumper under the Model S nosecone (and yes it does snow from time to time in Northern VA).

What I don't like about that location is we have an option to get a selectable type of transponder with a switch that you can indicate if traveling with more occupants to get a free ride on certain HOV/HOT routes but obviously that wouldn't be practical under the bumper. Also I'm not too keen to take the bumper cover off my new Model 3 just yet to experiment!

I haven't had any problems with snow/ice under the license-plate mounted transponder which I duct taped to the steel bumper under the Model S nosecone (and yes it does snow from time to time in Northern VA).
It's a problem here in the northeast, when we get blowing snow/ice mix, and you have an inch of foamy ice on your forward surfaces after a short drive. But I wonder if sheltering inside the bumper helps, so the ice isn't directly on top of the transponder.

It's a problem here in the northeast, when we get blowing snow/ice mix, and you have an inch of foamy ice on your forward surfaces after a short drive. But I wonder if sheltering inside the bumper helps, so the ice isn't directly on top of the transponder.

Yeah, I could see snow/ice building up on the exposed transponder mounted to the license plate but less on the smooth surface of the bumper cover or nosecone

I have FasTrak (California) which I assume is the same technology. I hardly ever use it, so I didn't want to put velcro strips on the windshield. I attached rubber feet to the bottom, and I plan to just set it on the dashboard briefly whenever I need it. Meanwhile it sits in the center console under the phone area. So no, I haven't actually tested it resting on the dashboard.

I have my EZPass mounted inside next to the mirror in my Model S (2017 P100D) and even painted it with black plastidip to make it fit in with interior better. Has worked fine for a while this way.

Please share a pic, this sounds great. I’m planning to mount mine to the interior right side of the AP cams (on my S I had an exterior mount inside the nosecone)

this has never been an issue with mine. Have the exterior transponder mounted to the license plate for 2 cars. Never had issue with snow/ice.

this has never been an issue with mine. Have the exterior transponder mounted to the license plate for 2 cars. Never had issue with snow/ice.

Same - external transponder behind nose cone and no issue through NY/NJ. In my 2013 and 2015 S there was no “opening” in the windshield for the typical transponder to work. On my other cars I mount the transponder to the sunroof or rear window but Tesla coated those windows too!

6FBE342B-7E01-4CDC-95C8-E09082BE256E.jpeg

FWIW I have one when traveling up north on 95 but otherwise don't use it. When I do, I have been throwing it on the dash and it seems to work fine. I have only used Express Lanes though, haven't tried going through physical booths.

Please share a pic, this sounds great. I’m planning to mount mine to the interior right side of the AP cams (on my S I had an exterior mount inside the nosecone)

Sorry I looked and don't have a pic. Have since gotten "green" EZ Pass in NJ, which is an external mount and have it mounted between the faux grills on the side of the front of the car near the fog lights.