Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Autosteer on 2024.3.10 single stack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like the right place to post this and ask a question. I received 2024.3.15 yesterday and installed it. Release Notes said, “minor fixes.” Um NO. IC display looks like what I see on FSD demos. Went to the Auto-Pilot page in the Control panel. And it shows “Full Self Driving” enabled. No mention of EAP. It’s not like I took a picture of before and after, but it looks like they just moved EAP owners to Full Self Driving. Different options than what I recall previously. Thoughts?

Apparently I was right. Googled it. Whoa. Going to try this out this weekend.

This update adds FSD v12 to the legacy Model S and Model X, as well as the new Model 3 for the first time. This update is also available for other vehicles which are already on FSD v12.

Well, EAP IS "FSD for highways only" - it is literally exactly that. Well, it is accurately called "Navigate on Autopilot", but that's what it is.

Read all about it in the Tesla Model S manual
EAP has summon, smart summon, auto park, auto lane change, and navigate on AP (NoAP).

With NoAP you have to apply pressure to the steering wheel for it to do automatic lane changes without confirmation or use the turn signal if you want to initiate them yourself. With FSD in a highway the lane change is fully automatic and handsfree (beside the usual reminder nag at random intervals). So it's much better with FSD. The only exception is NoAP does take exits without this physical confirmation. And speaking of lane changes the turn signal seems to need to blink 3 times before doing the lane change which is too slow for some aggressive drivers that come up behind you.

With EAP as with regular AP lane centering causes issues when a lane widens to open a new lane like for an exit lane or from an on-ramp that creates a side lane that merges onto your lane, if that makes sense. The car tries to stay centered (incorrectly) instead of staying closer to the left lane divider during the lane merge or lane split. FSD v11 (same with FSD v12 since it's using v11 stack on highways still) doesn't have this issue.

And lastly, NoAP will slam on the brakes to slow rapidly if a car is seen on the merging on-ramp with plenty of room in that other lane for that other car to gain speed before merging, instead of maintaining speed to move past that car. I hope I'm explaining it right. I always have to disengage NoAP if I'm in the rightmost lane with a car seen about to be on the on-ramp.

So while on paper it's supposed to be "highway FSD" it has some issues that do not make it feel like FSD at all, in my opinion.

I drive a '23 Model Y LR purchased with EAP and have subscribed to FSD on 3 occasions: v11.4.4, v11.4.6 and the free FSD trial of v12.3.3. obviously your mileage may vary so I'm speaking from my own experience and observations. I hope they update the NoAP stack.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skipdd
Well, EAP IS "FSD for highways only" - it is literally exactly that. Well, it is accurately called "Navigate on Autopilot", but that's what it is.

Read all about it in the Tesla Model S manual
😊 I am aware. I think you misunderstood me. I was responding to the comment that after 1 month the FSD that was included in the current release would revert back to EAP. The version of EAP we had before did NOT have FSD 12 capabilities. When they take away full FSD, will they leave v12 just for highways. I haven’t seen that explained anywhere. Nav on Autopilot was not the same as FSD using NN, not by far. I see that @heavymetalm8r has elaborated on this. I never used NoAP because of what I read about it. Once Tesla switched to end to end neural networks instead of heuristic lines of code, reports were coming in from many that the capabilities of FSD improved by orders of magnitude. I am very interested to try it out and will do so this weekend.

Consensus is that EAP/NoAP is still using v11 software stack on the highway even with FSD v12 software. v12 code is currently just for “autosteer on city streets”.
No, NoA is NOT on FSD v11 stack, see above post. Only FSDS uses FSDS V12 stack on streets and V11 stack on limited access highways.

NoA is the same old legacy software (with some updating of course) that's been used for YEARS. One day it will be replaced but since FSDS still doesn't work on highways yet so it will probably be a while.

I don't even think they have updated the old AP/NoAP stack at least not in the past 2.5 years since I've owned my Tesla. I've never seen release notes about it other than the increase in nags due to now using the in-cabin camera because of NHTSA. But as far as Autosteer, TACC, or lane changes those things have been frozen in time with no updates.

Reactions: JulienW
No, NoA is NOT on FSD v11 stack, see above post. Only FSDS uses FSDS V12 stack on streets and V11 stack on limited access highways.

NoA is the same old legacy software (with some updating of course) that's been used for YEARS. One day it will be replaced but since FSDS still doesn't work on highways yet so it will probably be a while.
You just said V11 stack is used on limited access highways. NoAP only works on limited access highways. So which is it?

It’s definitely not the old legacy stack as I only have basic autopilot on my car and NoAP or even just AP on the highway with the FSD trial is much better than with basic autopilot.

You just said V11 stack is used on limited access highways. NoAP only works on limited access highways. So which is it?

It’s definitely not the old legacy stack as I only have basic autopilot on my car and NoAP or even just AP on the highway with the FSD trial is much better than with basic autopilot.
It is BOTH. If you have FSD enabled then you are on FSD V11 stack when on the highway. If you turn OFF FSD then it will use the "old" AP/NoA stack.

Here is an older pic but it is still basically the same for FSDS. In pic I have FSD enables so it uses FSD on the highway. Switch it to Autosteer and the FSD software is completely turned off and you are switched back to old AP/NoA software.

EDIT: One EASY way to tell which you are on is FSD will automatically change lanes but NoA requires a confirmation to change lanes and is VERY slow and will often abort (though I haven't used NoA since V11 FSD added highways).

IMG_2737.jpeg

Last edited:
No it does NOT. NoA can NOT automatically change lanes. You MUST confirm a lane change by torquing the wheel or using the signal light.

EDIT: It is 100% completely different software FULL STOP and even displays different on the UI.
I stand corrected. Just tried it again and NoAP with FSD off does not feel as smooth and natural as FSD on the highway so it must indeed be using older code.

HOWEVER, there is the option to do auto lane change without confirmation on NoAP now. So YES it CAN automatically change lanes now.

Reactions: JulienW