Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP, FSD, and AB should be user persistent and carry over to new cars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about new phone. I'm with Android now and was considering an iPhone. I ended up keeping the Android (Pixel 7) buy the main reason I didn't switch was the $$ i'd didn't on apps and media.

Got me thinking. Tesla could build something similar if the enhanced autopilot, full self driving and acceleration boost upgrades were persistent with your account, not the vehicle. It would help with customer retention, and would offer good value.

There might be to be a small activation fee for new vehicles, to help cover software development costs.

Thoughts??

I've been thinking about new phone. I'm with Android now and was considering an iPhone. I ended up keeping the Android (Pixel 7) buy the main reason I didn't switch was the $$ i'd didn't on apps and media.

Got me thinking. Tesla could build something similar if the enhanced autopilot, full self driving and acceleration boost upgrades were persistent with your account, not the vehicle. It would help with customer retention, and would offer good value.

There might be to be a small activation fee for new vehicles, to help cover software development costs.

Thoughts??

Especially as the options get more expensive!

Be even better if the seller could choose to retain the options or sell with the car. This gives owners maximum flexibility and the more flexibility owners have the more public interest for buying the brand.

If I was given the option to retain my EAP and lifetime data that came with my 3, I probably would have upgraded by now. I guess since there's no way for Tesla to really measure lost sales from people like me, there is no incentive for them to give people these options.

Be even better if the seller could choose to retain the options or sell with the car. This gives owners maximum flexibility and the more flexibility owners have the more public interest for buying the brand.

If I was given the option to retain my EAP and lifetime data that came with my 3, I probably would have upgraded by now. I guess since there's no way for Tesla to really measure lost sales from people like me, there is no incentive for them to give people these options.
I’d pay a small premium to retain my FUSC on a new purchase.

Thoughts??
They are already charging $15K and FSD isn't working yet (level 4/5 robotaxi kind of working). When it is working maybe they would charge $30K or more. Giving someone a lifetime subscription when the price is going to rise drastically would be a bad business move.

Likewise, what's the average lifespan of a Tesla? 12 years? The average remaining life expectancy of Tesla owners may be three times that or more. Combine these two and a lifetime subscription to FSD would be worth $90K. This jibes with 36 years of FSD subscription at $200/month = $86K.

Sure, people would love to get this for only $15K but it's not going to happen until FSD becomes widespread. At some point the price will plummet. For now, there is no incentive for Tesla to sell their crown jewels at a greatly discounted price.

"When it is working maybe they would charge $30K or more"

That would be great for Tesla if they could charge that, but who the hell could afford it apart from the very rich? I'm surprised as hell that they can even get 15K$ for a piece of non-functional software though, so what do I know?

Maybe they're saving up for the legal fund, prepping for the inevitable class action suit that's got to come...

"When it is working maybe they would charge $30K or more"

That would be great for Tesla if they could charge that, but who the hell could afford it apart from the very rich? I'm surprised as hell that they can even get 15K$ for a piece of non-functional software though, so what do I know?

Maybe they're saving up for the legal fund, prepping for the inevitable class action suit that's got to come...
The economics of robotaxis has been covered many times. Cleantechnica estimates $30K gross profit per year. You could get your $30K back in one year and then having FSD for the remaining life of the car is gravy.

When it starts working, it will be a money printing machine for Tesla for a while. The fact that people are willing to spend $15K for it now is a testament to how much it will be worth when it's working.

Most of the money Tesla gets from FSD is not available to them. It is basically kept in escrow until they get FSD to work. There already is a class-action lawsuit that was filed in September. Tesla says failure to meet long term aspirational goals is not fraud. I worked as a software developer for many years so I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who are unhappy they spent money for promises of software to be delivered in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC