Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP - Not a Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
I'm 99% sure this exact road merging arrow Northbound I-10 near Casa Grand Az threw my car abruptly to the left of the arrow on the road. I took over before it crossed into the far left lane but it sure acted like it was trying to avoid the arrow by swerving abruptly to the left. I assume it thought that the arrow was the right hand line also clearly visible. It was daytime, clear skies, travelling North so no glare conditions existed, last weekend. The "I-10" mark was placed by Google Maps where the photo was captured.

I also still get frequent lane changes (~25%) that go half way then "Chicken Out". I feel embarrassed as I believe that people are going to notice saying "there goes another automation fail" (if not already) and this is bad PR. Hopefully this improves on HW3 and it's just the data volume problem. Need to "see the forest through the trees" on these line errors. Hopefully the solution isn't just an "ignore the arrow" and more of a judgement of highest probability of a line to follow (although, short-term, I highly recommend ignoring the arrow until HW3 is available.)

12-30-2018 12-12-27 PM.png

Sorry for he sarcasm, but it really does boil down to this definition which should be statistically clear with some analysis.

Line

/līn/
1. a long, narrow mark or band.
"a row of closely spaced dots will look like a continuous line"​

What most likely happened is that AP sees the big wide lane after the arrow and tries to center the car in the middle giving the illusion that it's trying to avoid the arrow. AP are really good at line detection and a single arrow like this should not have caused any issue.

What most likely happened is that AP sees the big wide lane after the arrow and tries to center the car in the middle giving the illusion that it's trying to avoid the arrow. AP are really good at line detection and a single arrow like this should not have caused any issue.

Respectfully disagree. This was definitely different and more abrupt than the usual swerve to center between lines on merging/diverging lanes. I've had EAP for 8 months and have a good sense for most actions it takes that are unusual. This was a sharp turn at about 70 mph and occurred at about the distance shown in the image.

I have driven this stretch of road and auto-pilot did swerve away from the arrow. I had my hand on the wheel, let it finish, and it stayed in the lane. Not that staying in the lane excuses the sudden dodge. This was the first time I've had autopilot dodge a painted sign so it was weird, but it surely did dodge not center itself. I'm on 2018.48.12.1.

I have had the aborted lane change but my experience is closer to <10% and it has definitely gotten better over the last eight months. I don't have answer on what is going on when it aborts. Hopefully, it keeps getting better and is eventually solved, but for now stay alert on lane changes.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I have driven this stretch of road and auto-pilot did swerve away from the arrow. I had my hand on the wheel, let it finish, and it stayed in the lane. Not that staying in the lane excuses the sudden dodge. This was the first time I've had autopilot dodge a painted sign so it was weird, but it surely did dodge not center itself. I'm on 2018.48.12.1.

I have had the aborted lane change but my experience is closer to <10% and it has definitely gotten better over the last eight months. I don't have answer on what is going on when it aborts. Hopefully, it keeps getting better and is eventually solved, but for now stay alert on lane changes.

Same SW version here. I normally also let it go to see anomalies play out, but we were just going too fast and there was traffic possibly (no time to check and others were in the car). Myself, I do see improvements buy very slight when it comes to the lines. Centering upon merging did improve and you can now see the bulging line on screen w/ V9.

I hope people don't get me wrong in publishing this. I paid for FSD and fully understand how it and EAP will improve over time, and for the record love the process and never once wanted a refund or second guessed this inevitable future. As a shareholder, I also wouldn't want this topic to backfire either by rhetoric, FUD, or accidents without at least bringing this to people's attention including Tesla. I normally use the "Bug Report" feature, but by the time I had calmed the passengers, the timestamp was long past, so I decided to put it out here. I guess it's my way of communicating realistic expectations because I also expect that wave of complainers when FSD is introduced... and I hope not too soon.

Respectfully disagree. This was definitely different and more abrupt than the usual swerve to center between lines on merging/diverging lanes. I've had EAP for 8 months and have a good sense for most actions it takes that are unusual. This was a sharp turn at about 70 mph and occurred at about the distance shown in the image.
I noticed the same thing driving on the 5N yesterday. My guess is it thought the white merge arrow might be a k-rail or something and abruptly changed direction to avoid it.

Google Maps

It was fine with the white arrows/merging lanes I encountered before that, but I think the combination of no lane lines for the right lane that's merging with the left lane and no arrows except right before the two lanes merge throws it off.

I actually mentioned to my wife that I didn't think it would happen on an all asphalt freeway, but from what you're describing it does the same thing.

I noticed the same thing driving on the 5N yesterday. My guess is it thought the white merge arrow might be a k-rail or something and abruptly changed direction to avoid it.

Google Maps

It was fine with the white arrows/merging lanes I encountered before that, but I think the combination of no lane lines for the right lane that's merging with the left lane and no arrows except right before the two lanes merge throws it off.

I actually mentioned to my wife that I didn't think it would happen on an all asphalt freeway, but from what you're describing it does the same thing.

I'm convinced this is too common to be nothing. I cannot assume Tesla knows about this. Any suggestions to communicate after the fact?