Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP unavailable for remainder of trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have experienced this twice in the last week. Both times on major highways in NorCal Is this common or should I start tracking as a unique problem?

Not sure if important but recently had Tesla authorized bodyshop fix some dents in my front quarter panels and passenger side front door.

I have relatively new M3 January 2029 delivery with software version 2018.50.6.

To reset. Pull over, put in park. Start driving again. You are good for at least 3 more beeps after the nag screen appears.

Yep, this probably the issue. As @SomeJoe7777 noted, this is designed behavior. "Three strikes and you're out" kind of deal, where "strikes" are warnings that you don't respond to.

Only saw this once when I intentionally didn't follow the prompts, just so I could see it work. It did - locked me out of the rest of the drive until I pulled off the highway, put it in park, then resumed my trip.

Just keep your hands on the wheel and provide a little "push" against the wheel (i.e. if the wheel moves right, push a tad left, or vise-versa) and that should solve it. And if you see those prompts - do what they say :)

• Informative
Reactions: steve in socal
If you ever had a car that was out of alignment or had abnormal tire wear that caused it not to track completely straight and needed a slight force ( torque ) on the wheel to keep it straight, that's what Tesla's on AP need every 30- 90 seconds. They weight of your hand on one side of the wheel or the other is sufficient. It's easily learned.

If you ever had a car that was out of alignment or had abnormal tire wear that caused it not to track completely straight and needed a slight force ( torque ) on the wheel to keep it straight, that's what Tesla's on AP need every 30- 90 seconds. They weight of your hand on one side of the wheel or the other is sufficient. It's easily learned.

It does seem easily learned. But given the number of people who struggle with this, maybe it isn't as easy as it may be to us who have now got it down.

I will raise my hand and admit when I first started using AP, in the first few weeks, that when the prompt said "Hold the wheel" and I was already holding it, I was a little confused and found myself squeezing the wheel tightly in a death grip - thinking that there was some kind of pressure sensor in the wheel itself and why did I have to "hold" so forcefully/unnaturally.

But through a little experimentation, I came to realize that you needed to apply a bit of anti-steer and it became second nature. Then Tesla updated the text in the nag message and that probably helped people too.

So while I totally agree it is pretty easy to learn, it's not super intuitive that the wheel has only a torque sensor and is looking for resistance against the torque that AP applies to the wheel.

Down the road, Tesla may go another direction - either an actual pressure sensor in the wheel (so it could then register when someone is holding the wheel even if they aren't "counter steering" a little bit) OR maybe they will institute an interior camera to monitor the driver like Cadillac. Or maybe not. I guess time will tell!