Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade to FSD cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have M3 Dual MotorAWD Long Range Performance (no PUP) EAP purchased 9-26-18
My account page says it will cost 5k to upgrade to FSD
Shouldn’t the cost be 2k?

And, totally off topic..
Is the rack and pinion the same in all M3, whether or not they are Performance?

I thought the $2k upgrade - was for EAP - and only for vehicles delivered in 2018. Sort of a "after the fact" autopilot update price drop.

And the FSD would then be $3,000 (maybe $4) to upgrade for the same "2018 delivered vehicles".

I haven't seen any headlines anywhere saying the $2k was changed.

I thought the $2k upgrade - was for EAP - and only for vehicles delivered in 2018. Sort of a "after the fact" autopilot update price drop.

And the FSD would then be $3,000 (maybe $4) to upgrade for the same "2018 delivered vehicles".

I haven't seen any headlines anywhere saying the $2k was changed.

That price was quickly reversed after the huge backlash from previous owners for unfair pricing. People who bought EAP (5k) + FSD (3k) at time of purchase had ended up paying more despite no FSD feature being out and being told they can pay less at time of purchase or more later. The fact that was false caused lots of fires in the Tesla community and rightfully so.

The real winners were those who did not buy any software as they were offered autopilot and FSD for $5k total.

Many who bought EAP for the full $5k felt a bit peeved that they had to pay more than the ones who didn't purchase any software as they supported Tesla with more money. Others gladly paid for it. Their cost was $5k + $2k = 7k

It was a slap in the face to some loyal original buyers and ultimately the prices were put back to normal.

Reactions: jgd108
I have EAP. I skipped FSD at the time because FSD was supposed to be full-autonomy.
Now FSD is not full-autonomy but further EAP features that aren’t out yet. If they actually come out with features I “have to have” i might will be willing to pay 2k more. But at the 5k price it is WAY too much as I already get a good portion of what it’s supposed to be.

Reactions: turtlesz
My complaint is that they made a big announcement about the FSD price dropping to 2k in March...and then almost no announcement/stealthy price increase back to 5k.

Had I known the 2k price was going away, I'd have pulled the trigger. I was upset/surprised yesterday when I decided to pay the 2k and found the price was 5k...took me a bit to find out that Elon had tweeted that the price drop was going away but there was no real announcement and I completely missed it :(

Note: I bought my M3 in October and paid $5k for EAP...so I feel another $5k = $10k total is rather steep and disappointing.

The 'sale' was $2k but not for the former EAP; it's now just AP. For $2k you do not receive auto-lane change, which is now part of full FSD.

Tesla didn't advertise this as a one-time sale. Or anything indicating it was temporary pricing.

FSD price if you have EAP :
  • It was $3,000 before delivery
  • Until 28 Feb 2019 it was $5,000 after delivery
  • Between 28 Feb - 20 Mar 2019 it was $2,000 after delivery. See Elon Musk on Twitter
  • After 20 Mar 2019 it is now $5,000 after delivery
  • On 1st May 2019 I expect it to increase to $6,000 after delivery

Were the Mar. 20, 2019 pricing changes advertised? Tesla's press release didn't have any time-frame or expiration date - nor does Elon's tweet (thank you for linking btw).

Pricing increase on the $2k (After Delivery) was not advertised anywhere on their website. But - they advertised the price drop on their website -- with no mention of the price drop being temporary.

I guess - i look at their website is a more official means of communication - than say, a tweet?

Seems strange way of doing business, kind of shady to highly advertise 1 price - but never tell anyone you increased it.

That price was quickly reversed after the huge backlash from previous owners for unfair pricing. People who bought EAP (5k) + FSD (3k) at time of purchase had ended up paying more despite no FSD feature being out and being told they can pay less at time of purchase or more later. The fact that was false caused lots of fires in the Tesla community and rightfully so.

The real winners were those who did not buy any software as they were offered autopilot and FSD for $5k total.

Many who bought EAP for the full $5k felt a bit peeved that they had to pay more than the ones who didn't purchase any software as they supported Tesla with more money. Others gladly paid for it. Their cost was $5k + $2k = 7k

It was a slap in the face to some loyal original buyers and ultimately the prices were put back to normal.

I'd be mad too. However, within a reasonable timeframe.

If the price dropped 6mo-1yr after my purchase - yup, it's a slap in the face.

2yr+ after my purchase...I wouldn't get as upset.

I think of it similar to old dvd navigation...Dealerships sold cars with 1 disc of maps, per few model years. The new disc wouldn't be available until 2 models newer.

People don't want to feel like they overpaid for anything.

The constant price changes are an issue. Set a good price, not too high, not too low -- and stick to it for a year or two.

I may have gotten the FSD when it was $2000 back in March. But they offered AP+FSD for others who did not even purchased EAP for $5K (same price I paid for EAP alone). This just showed that pre-purchase something with Tesla does not give you the lowest price. If I wait it may drop down to $1000. And if not, it is not a big loss as I don't even use NoA right now.. just the regular AutoSteer.

The bottom line of this mess is, if you had already paid EAP 5k (or 6k after purchase like I did) and Tesla wanted 2k more for FSD (total of 7-8k) and my friend who skipped on it before got EAP + FSD for 5k, why on Earth would I give more money to Tesla?
Now that it's 5k FSD and soon 6k for FSD, until the next promo, I won't have to worry about pulling the trigger!
Bottom line: just wait, Tesla will give you FSD for free so they get to say "All our vehicles have FSD turned on" :)

Reactions: Need
EAP should have been included with the purchase from the beginning. Period.

FSD....shouldn't cost $7,000....seriously.

I firmly believe pricing around AP was largely based around the $7,500 tax-credit incentive. If Tesla could snag some of that "free government money" back from the consumer -- the consumer didn't necessarily loose any money --- and Tesla can re-invest the additional profits.

Just a theory - but the pricing being so close if awfully interesting.

I would not be surprised if FSD sales drop as a result of the price increase. It is getting very expensive. I tried using it today to drive around the congested 405 freeway in Orange County and it was worthless. With cars constantly cutting in and out of the lanes it kept braking and accelerating so fast that the car was making both me and my passenger nauseous. And forget about doing lane changes. There is almost always someone in my blind spot so whenever I have to change lanes I take it off AP and just make the lane change myself.

I’m sure it works great on longer distance trips with less traffic, but if you primarily drive in a very congested area with aggressive (and bad) drivers, it just isn’t worth bothering with.

Early Model 3 2018 RWD bought without AP/FSD currently in a trial period. Website upgrade costs are now $3000 for AP and $5,500 for FSD, which was $7000.
Now FSD is $6,500. Trial ends today or tomorrow. Not buying. Trial proved only TACC is useful for our driving and roads and we are too rural to take advantage of future network.