Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to go fast. I heard it the second I pulled off and I was in a bumpy parking lot. It sound more like the suspension sounds are being transmitted up into the trunk and resonating in the open space.

Ah so this is not the booming and buffeting noise everyone's been talking about and has nothing to do with the hatch? If it's suspension sound, the only way might put some sound deadening where the wheel wells are.

I did try once driving with the hatch open but I didn't go that fast as I was worry it may damage the trunk in someway if I hit a series of rough bumps. I'm going to try that again and see if I hear the noise.

But is the noise I mentioned in the video same noise everyone is hearing or is that a different issue?

Yea the noises in the video seem normal. They are not the low frequency bass boom or wind/air buffeting.

Ah so this is not the booming and buffeting noise everyone's been talking about and has nothing to do with the hatch? If it's suspension sound, the only way might put some sound deadening where the wheel wells are.
It certainly is the booming sound, just that the source of the deep rumbling, is actually road and suspension noise being amplified somehow. I've never believed it to be hatch related from the start and me hearing it with the hatch open was my proof. So people claiming it has improved when they adjusted the trunk stopper gap or put hose inside the trunk seal, to me are experiencing a placebo effect.

It certainly is the booming sound, just that the source of the deep rumbling, is actually road and suspension noise being amplified somehow. I've never believed it to be hatch related from the start and me hearing it with the hatch open was my proof. So people claiming it has improved when they adjusted the trunk stopper gap or put hose inside the trunk seal, to me are experiencing a placebo effect.

Here you go. It's a few pages back. It's the hatch and rear wheel well mostly.

I think you are confusing noises & stuff. Basically it is normal unfortunately for model Y’s pre juniper to have
1) road noise / rumble especially MYP with 21” oem low profile tires.

2) low frequency booms when going over certain sudden bumps in road surface.

Items 1 & 2 happen in every model y.

Buffetting / pressure issues are a bit random. And even same people in same car have different experience thus is can be human physiology taking a part. Example in my 30’s my ears started always popping even with the slightest elevation changes.

All in all, the tips in this thread are very helpful. In the next weeks I’m applying sound deadening & I might as well do the harch tubing. Tesla adjusted my rubber stops long ago when they realigned my trunk hatch & all my doors.

I think you are confusing noises & stuff. Basically it is normal unfortunately for model Y’s pre juniper to have
1) road noise / rumble especially MYP with 21” oem low profile tires.

2) low frequency booms when going over certain sudden bumps in road surface.

Items 1 & 2 happen in every model y.

Buffetting / pressure issues are a bit random. And even same people in same car have different experience thus is can be human physiology taking a part. Example in my 30’s my ears started always popping even with the slightest elevation changes.

All in all, the tips in this thread are very helpful. In the next weeks I’m applying sound deadening & I might as well do the harch tubing. Tesla adjusted my rubber stops long ago when they realigned my trunk hatch & all my doors.
Not confused at all. I'm pretty attuned to low frequencies can hear/feel the engine vibrations when an ICE car pulls up in my driveway and that's from the other side of the house when everyone else hears nothing. The wife says I have a superpower. LOL

The buffeting/pressure and the booming are directly related, low-level like being inside of a subwoofer as the cone is driving. The hard bumps would be comparable to the thump of a bass drum and the buffeting road rumble, well that's more like a bass guitar if I put it loosely. I can hear it the minute the car pulls off. It doesn't bother me as much as some people, but the wife says she feels a bit car sick almost every time she rides in the Y for a good amount of time. I can't tell her it's a known issue, else she'll never ride with me again. I have 19's BTW.

And what is this about pre-juniper Ys? Juniper doesn't exist yet, at least not for you to drive, so you don't know if there will even be an improvement. Fun fact... Juniper is a made up name and not one that Tesla even recognizes.

Anyway, it's easy enough for you to drive with your hatch open and prove it to yourself. If you hear the rumble, it can't be the hatch. Suggest everyone try it.

Hmm okay I'm so confused if the sound is normal or not. Here is one of the videos of the noise I've taken from my own MY.

The noise gets a bit more quiet during rain. So this is caused by suspension noise and is normal? I tried driving with the trunk open and the sound seems to be mostly gone? But I can't tell if that's cause the noise is being masked by other minor rattles in the car and the outside noise coming into the cabin with the trunk open.

2022 MY - I'm in total agreement with you that I've driven with the hatch open and still heard the reverberation at 10 - 25 mph. I don't think it's the hatch (done all the adjustments and tried the tubing), but I sure wish I knew what is amplifying it. To me, 77 and wearing hearing aids, it is so annoying that I don't want to drive the car. Hearing aids in or out I still hear the low frequency. Considering going to an ENT to see if something in my ears is making it worse. Tesla has to know this is an issue.

Reactions: Iron
2022 MY - I'm in total agreement with you that I've driven with the hatch open and still heard the reverberation at 10 - 25 mph. I don't think it's the hatch (done all the adjustments and tried the tubing), but I sure wish I knew what is amplifying it. To me, 77 and wearing hearing aids, it is so annoying that I don't want to drive the car. Hearing aids in or out I still hear the low frequency. Considering going to an ENT to see if something in my ears is making it worse. Tesla has to know this is an issue.
Sorry, I have a 2024 MY not 2022

Update: There is truth to some of the other people's anecdotal reports of vinyl tubing not resolving booming noises in their Model Y. I met with user @BrianZ last weekend, and we did 5/16" OD tubing, calibrated the hatch, with not great results. Put in 3/8" OD tubing, and the gap was too huge (but it seemed to resolve it pretty well), so had to resort back to 5/16". With rigid hatch stops, and vinyl tubing and calibrated hatch stops, it wasn't enough to make a subjective difference. I've done this vinyl tubing install on 5 Model Y's and all had improvements until this one.

The only other items I can recommend in that instance is:

1) The hatch might need a complete re-alignment (I noticed there was some differing gaps at the tail light areas with that Model Y, and the hatch glass had a hump in a section that extended beyond the roof glass). This has resolved a few users' issues in previous pages in this thread, but good luck getting Tesla to do this. You might have to pay a body shop to do this, and would you trust any body shop to know how to correctly align this piece? I guess it depends.

2) Sound deadening on the rear wheel wells, and as discovered by @azeteg, sound deadening in the rear doors apparently makes a big difference.

Reactions: BrianZ and tm3lrawd
Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't have luck with the tubing and hatch adjustments. The annoyance only occurs to me in one ear, which implies there is something in that ear that is accentuating the problem. I'm setting up an appointment with an ear doctor to look at that.
Nevertheless, no other car and no other situation causes the annoying reverberation, so the MY is doing something to create the issue in the first place.
I intend to find the root cause because otherwise I love the car.

Reactions: fishers
I installed the silicone tubing, 5/16" OD from HomeDepot. I bought 2 10' sections. They didn't have 20' but you won't be able to insert 1 piece and go all the around in one go. I did it in 2 and some people do it in 3. I used soapy water to lubricate and a funnel to pour it forward down the tubing. But it still just gets difficult toward the end and you're jamming it from an awkward angle.

The result made an immediate big effect for me. I couldn't really hear the buffeting but it made me a little nauseous. I'm not done. I'll tune the fit with the paper test.