Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I just took delivery of a new 2024 MYLR two days ago and love everything about the car, but cabin noise at highway speeds is absolutely killing me. I've read in this very helpful thread Ear pain/Pressure help about all kinds of potential solutions.

1) Install vinyl tubing
2) Adjust hatch stops (I checked this and they all passed the paper test already)
3) Install butyl around the wheel wells
4) Lower tire pressure
5) 3d printed rigid hatch stops
6) Waiting for the suspension to break in some
7) Changing the suspension entirely?

It's all quite a lot and I'm hesitant to go tearing out pannels in my new car to install the butyl myself. Does anyone know if the service center can help me with these installations or if some other auto shop in the Bay Area (where I live) can help me diagnose and resolve these issues?

Finally, I know that officially the 7-day return policy is no longer in effect but I'm wondering what my options are for returning/trading in the car at this point. I tried to call the customer support line this morning but couldn't get anyone on the phone. Thank you all so much for your help.

Vehicle History
Purchased a new 2024 Model Y Long Range from the Indy location on 2/17/24. I noticed this car sounded different than my 2023 Model 3 but just dismissed it.... until my wife drove it said described the same sound to me the next day.

Problem Description
There is an intense, low frequency sound (bass boom) that occurs while driving and it’s triggered by any bumps or imperfections in the road ways.

I would describe the sound as intense, low frequency (40-80 Hz range is my guess) resonance that brings immediate hearing fatigue with the feeling of elevated air pressure in the cabin. Another way to describe it is similar to the feeling you get when a window is down and the air is buffeting at high speeds.

It happens while driving on any road at any speed, except for stretches of very smooth interstate/highways; very smooth highways are tolerable. All the normal roads we travel bring immediate ear discomfort in a way not experienced in any other vehicle we’ve been in.

I seems like the suspension is very tight “like a drum” and it’s allowing too much energy transfer into the vehicle. It also seems like it’s picking up imperfections in the roads more than a vehicle should due to the suspension. This is not a diagnosis but only a conjecture. The tire pressure appears nominal (42 PSI).

Repair Attempt #1
Made the 2 hour drive to the Toledo service center on 3/22/24 to address the issue. The service tech was very patient as we drove around some pretty choppy roads and I wasn't even hearing the issue. It should have been very obvious but I couldn't really go "Ah ha! hear that?"-- Nevertheless, they took it in and adjusted all the bump stops on the hatch back as that was the best guess as to what could be causing the sounds. After the service was completed, the tech didn't come out after to discuss it; they just had it parked up front ready for me to leave. Having a 2 hour drive ahead of me, I decided to start the drive home. After just a few moment on the road, I could tell the issue had come back, but I didn't go back to the service center and continued home. I really wanted to put some miles on it and give it a chance.

Coworker takes delivery of "identical" 2024 Model Y LR just this past weekend!
Today, I had a golden opportunity to ride with my coworker to lunch in his new 2024 Model Y Long Range! I listened carefully on our drive and I didn't hear the sound at all. Nothing even close. It was just as quiet as the Model 3 and what I'd expect from a Tesla.

I also noticed this tidbit: His tires are the Pirelli Spiders (didn't get specifics) and my tires are Continentals. They were delivered thru Indy just 5 weeks apart and they have different tires.

Wild Guess
The 2 hour drive to Toledo warmed/softened the tires a little bit and masked the sound I'm hearing. But when I drive from my house, the tires are always cold and it's picking up even tiny imperfections in the road. And perhaps the issue is just with the difference in tires? I can't imagine there's something systemically wrong with my Model Y. It's gotta be something simple.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Sorry if this has been covered already but has anyone tried installing a sun shade in the roof? I wonder how much of this is due to sound waves reflecting off the glass roof and being focused on a specific part of the cabin. A sun shade could help dampen those acoustic reflections.

So, my input:

I got a '24 MYLR, Austin built/manufactured in Jan, a few weeks ago. The 2-hour drive we had from picking it up gave my wife and me the worst headache imaginable. Don't get me wrong, this has the best built quality I've seen and definitely much quieter than the '22s and '23s I've ridden in.

So After coming across this board, and user ilovecoffee's video, I tried the following things. Please note that ours is a 3-year lease and I didn't want to leave obvious marks from any of these modifications. This should be telling of how bad our headaches were.

1. 1. Running 39 PSI on these 19" tires — A lot more tolerable. They had 45-ish PSI from the factory for some reason. For long trips, which we are planning to do a lot, I would probably go back to 41 or 42 PSI, due to weight, high-speed safety, range, tier wear, etc.

2. Tried the seals — Made a difference with road noise and making the car overall quieter. I will be adding the secondary seals to the top sides of the hatch (as seen on ilovecoffee's).

3. Sound deadening in the rear, inside wheel wells: I was reluctant to try this since this is a lease and not wanting to take apart a brand new, 2-week-old car. It was fairly easy and did not break any clips, luckily. I noticed this one had a lot more sound-deadening material from the factory compared to others I've seen. I did not have to cut any of the sheets, 3 layers at the top of the wheel well, and 2 towards the back. I couldn't help but wonder how heavy those sheets can get. People who do the whole car must be adding a significant amount of weight. The passenger side took longer than expected due to the amp and the subwoofer having to come out.

Made a huge difference in rear suspension noise. The feeling that you are inside a drum is much lessened now. It's still there, but way less. Definitely happy about this one.

4. Run Vinyl tubing in the rear hatch seal: I did this today after watching ilovecoffee's video. Used the same 303 Protectant that he was using. I was surprised how easy it was to do. I cut the end and put on a piece of electrical tape. Went in easily and the air holes did not get ripped or expanded. Stayed completely looking stock. I did 3 pieces total - One from the hip-level went to the top till the inner division at the top (12 o'clock). Did the same on the other side. Then the last one went down and around. Re-adjusted stops.

The hatch did not close the first three times, had to be closed by hand. It was fine afterward. The only noticeable thing is, now there is a big pop when the hatch is opened.

Now the feeling of pressure change is almost completely gone on the highway. Maybe it is still there but by a faint amount. I am also very satisfied with this one.
Overall, I am happy with those four things I tried. If it wasn't a lease, I would do a few other things, but I am good for now. My issue is mainly gone now.

I do want to give huge thanks to ilovecoffee and others on this thread and this forum. Without you, I would probably have returned that car on the first day. I am grateful to all of you.

Question
Before I did any of the mods, I had the Tesla Service Center take a look at it. They kept the car for a few hours, and from the looks of it, they adjusted the rear hatch latch at the bottom. I noted the bottom of the hatch is more sunken in when closed. So it looks like they liked the latch. When I got it back, I am not sure if I felt a difference, but I didn't want to keep going back to them since it would be a moot point. But I did notice it had more of a popping noise when I opened the hatch.

After doing the above mods, the pop noise got worse. Is there a way to reduce that?

Sorry if this has been covered already but has anyone tried installing a sun shade in the roof? I wonder how much of this is due to sound waves reflecting off the glass roof and being focused on a specific part of the cabin. A sun shade could help dampen those acoustic reflections.

Interesting that you said that. I installed one due to the harsh sun, I actually thought it made the interior a bit quieter - less of a fish bowl effect. I do not have official tests to prove this.

For everyone that has this issue, does your closed trunk hatch shake visibly when you slam the doors? Mine does, and I suspect the source of this issue is because my trunk hatch is shaking whenever it goes over a crack/bump on the road and acting like a giant subwoofer and creating large amounts of low frequency noise that we hear. No luck yet getting service to acknowledge both the noise or the trunk hatch shaking as issues.

I also have the very annoying booming. I've tried most everything with the exception of the tubing inside the hatch seal.
Question: How many of you that have this problem have Conti tires? One of the commenters said he rode in a MY with Pirelli and didn't hear the booming. Do any of you with the booming issues have Pirelli?

I also have the very annoying booming. I've tried most everything with the exception of the tubing inside the hatch seal.
Question: How many of you that have this problem have Conti tires? One of the commenters said he rode in a MY with Pirelli and didn't hear the booming. Do any of you with the booming issues have Pirelli?
It is not a tire issue. I have 2022 MYP with 19” hankook evo ion tires with sound absorbing foam in them and still booms. Every model, y I been in has this low frequency boom phenomenon. Certain people are just more sensitive to it. I bet in next major version of model y Tesla does more to address noise in general just as they made refreshed 2024 model 3 a lot quieter. I drove it on rough road where my model y is noisy and new model 3 was so much quieter. Will be interesting to see a teardown.

I just spent 1 1/2 hours to go get the 5/16 OD tubing and installed it per 'Ilikecoffee'. Readjusted the hatch stops using masking tape to assure contact, and it made no difference at all. I've now spent over 15 hours trying to fix this. If I could sue to get out of my lease I would.
My Model 3 was a great car. Upgraded to this 2024 MY, and now I have driven 1,200 my with nothing but irritation. Tesla are you listening at all to these complaints??

I just spent 1 1/2 hours to go get the 5/16 OD tubing and installed it per 'Ilikecoffee'. Readjusted the hatch stops using masking tape to assure contact, and it made no difference at all. I've now spent over 15 hours trying to fix this. If I could sue to get out of my lease I would.
My Model 3 was a great car. Upgraded to this 2024 MY, and now I have driven 1,200 my with nothing but irritation. Tesla are you listening at all to these complaints??
I’m sure they are. I suspect noise is an area Tesla will improve upon in the upcoming refresh model y like they did in 2024 model 3. I test drove 2024 refreshed/highland model 3 on rough road & it was so quiet.

Personally I’ve not yet done anything to address to lower frequency boom sounds yet. I’m getting ready to order sound deadening material though.

We just picked up a 2024 Model Y LR for my wife. The booming sound is nearly negligible compared to my 2022. I don't know if it's related to the cargo cover, the upgraded suspension, or just variability in build tolerances (guessing this is the biggest one), but it's a huge improvement. I don't even have to do the 5/16" tubing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I guess at this point I'm just ranting over something I have no control. I went to Discount Tire and had the tires rotated and balance checked. Balance was perfect, and rotation did nothing to eliminate the low frequency sounds over minor imperfections in the road. I've tried all the remedies (tubing in rear hatch seal, hatch adjustments etc.) with the exception of butyl linings. I really am uncomfortable in my car with less than 1,500 miles, and it grates me that I'll be spending $15K over the next three years for this.
If anyone has a confirmed fix that I haven't already tried I would love to hear about it.

I guess at this point I'm just ranting over something I have no control. I went to Discount Tire and had the tires rotated and balance checked. Balance was perfect, and rotation did nothing to eliminate the low frequency sounds over minor imperfections in the road. I've tried all the remedies (tubing in rear hatch seal, hatch adjustments etc.) with the exception of butyl linings. I really am uncomfortable in my car with less than 1,500 miles, and it grates me that I'll be spending $15K over the next three years for this.
If anyone has a confirmed fix that I haven't already tried I would love to hear about it.

I was in your shoes. If you look at my post on this page, you can see that a few things worked out for me. If you haven't tried out the butyl, I would highly recommend it. It took the "drumming" out of mine big time.

Just sold my '23 MYP due this issue. I tried all the "fixes" discussed in this thread, but nothing really helped me. Car was giving me severe anxiety. 5+ service center visits were also useless. Constant buffeting between 55-65mph with headaches after every 30min+ drive. Now I need to figure out what to do with all my 3d printed hatchstops 😂

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just sold my '23 MYP due this issue. I tried all the "fixes" discussed in this thread, but nothing really helped me. Car was giving me severe anxiety. 5+ service center visits were also useless. Constant buffeting between 55-65mph with headaches after every 30min+ drive. Now I need to figure out what to do with all my 3d printed hatchstops 😂
During those 5+ service visits, did they ever adjust the rear hatch latch?

Still fighting the booming issue at speeds around 10-20 mph. Now grasping at straws, but has anyone who has this issue tried removing the subwoofer to see if that helps? I'm wondering if the subwoofer could be picking up "sympathetic" vibrations from road roughness, and amplifying the vibration.
I know, tell me I'm crazy, but?

I have been trying to fix a noise that sounds like it's coming from the hatch for a while now. I'm not sure if this is the same noise everyone here is talking about as I'm not sure what booming or buffeting sounds like. I had someone drive and I laid in the trunk and when I'm back there, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the hatch. Actually I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from as it seemed more quiet where I was in the back. I started hearing other rattles from the rear seat area like loose clips or whatnot. However when I seat in the front or rear seat, then it sounds like the hatch making the noise. I'm so confused. I brought it in for service multiple times and they were never able to fix it.

It doesn't cause me any ear pain but it's just annoying. I watched some PoV driving videos and I noticed some of the MYs have the same sound when going over bumps.

For example,

At the 5:28 and 14:59 you can that noise multiple times. Just curious if that's normal (possibility from the suspension) or if it's something else that causes it.

Also, it seems like the noise is more quiet when it's raining or right after it rains for a bit. Wondering if that has something to do with the weather seals.

Is this something the vinyl tube trick can fix?

However when I seat in the front or rear seat, then it sounds like the hatch making the noise. I'm so confused. I brought it in for service multiple times and they were never able to fix it.
Drive with your hatch wide open for a minute. I still heard the deep bass resonance when I did. It could be coming from anywhere but the back makes the most sense as it's shaped to echo. Lower frequencies are very hard to pinpoint as the waves go everywhere, which is why you can place a subwoofer anywhere.

Drive with your hatch wide open for a minute. I still heard the deep bass resonance when I did. It could be coming from anywhere but the back makes the most sense as it's shaped to echo. Lower frequencies are very hard to pinpoint as the waves go everywhere, which is why you can place a subwoofer anywhere.
I did try once driving with the hatch open but I didn't go that fast as I was worry it may damage the trunk in someway if I hit a series of rough bumps. I'm going to try that again and see if I hear the noise.

But is the noise I mentioned in the video same noise everyone is hearing or is that a different issue?

I also removed the lift gate trim piece that contains the 2 speakers. When I shook the trim, I can hear noise coming from both speaker pieces. I mentioned it to SC before but they didn't say much about it.

This is the noise coming from the 2 speakers

I did try once driving with the hatch open but I didn't go that fast as I was worry it may damage the trunk in someway if I hit a series of rough bumps. I'm going to try that again and see if I hear the noise.

But is the noise I mentioned in the video same noise everyone is hearing or is that a different issue?
You don't have to go fast. I heard it the second I pulled off and I was in a bumpy parking lot. It sound more like the suspension sounds are being transmitted up into the trunk and resonating in the open space.