Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Delivery? Should I be concerned at end of Q1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, My Tesla site has said April-Early May delivery and I learned today (from my ridiculously responsive DS Cameron in Tampa) that my vehicle will be ready between 3/28 and 3/31.

Should I be concerned that they tried to cram it through production and eek it out here in the 11th hour for a Q1 delivery? Thoughts?

Concerned? Yes and no. Yes, they will definitely try to deliver it to book the sale in Q1. Be prepared and have the funds ready. If you don't want it until May, or don't have the funds ready, just let them know right now. They pushed to deliver mine before Q2 end (and also the end of WA State tax exemption). They pushed so hard it was two weeks early (mid-month) just so it wouldn't impact the other deliveries at the Seattle store.

Believe this is normal operating proceedure for Tesla.

Have not heard quality complaints from customers when they have done this in previous quarters.

Think it is more of an all hands on deck, and total focus on getting cars delivered in time for quarterly reports.

I have a friend that works there and a year or so ago mentioned that end of quarters are crunch time. Not a good time to schedule a vacation, call in sick (when not really sick) goof off, take long lunches or dawdel around.

The focus is getting the cars delivered, clearing out storage, moving CPO and demo vehicles, and generally wanting to put a good face on the company.

Service centers will be working long hours, financing will being pushed through, delivery schedules tightened up, and customers asked to accept deliveries before the end of the quarter.

They also know that March 31st things will be getting hectic with the launch of the Model 3. Sales, marketing, and internal management will be super busy handling the critical launch of the new car. Everything they can get off the desks at the end of the quarter will free up time and talent for this new, and higher production model.

We do this also where I work. Big push to get money collected, deliveries made, inventories down, and production is optimized. Not all that unusual in the corporate world.

Well, I'm going to ask the CFO when she gets home if we can accept delivery 2 weeks prior to our expected EARLY date. My Volt was recently hit in a parking lot and it goes into the body shop that last week of March for 2 weeks of repairs. Snowbird season in FL even affects the body shop schedules - can't get in earlier.

To compound issues, I was waiting on some outstanding invoices to get paid to my company for the deposit. Just not the best timing . . . although I'm excited to get my dreamcar . . .

I just got another Email from my DS tonight telling me that my car has rolled off the assembly line and they are trying to get it to Florida in the next 2 weeks! This is like a month ahead of my delivery! While I'm excited, I'm now frantically going through my checklist to see if I have my house in order!

HPWC: Check
Volt Charger Moved for the kiddo: NOT Check
Finances Ready: Check

WHAT ELSE?!

Well, I was extremely surprised yesterday when the online info switched from April1-15, to March 18-25th for delivery to the Charlotte SC. The end of quarter stuff, from what I've read, is indeed something that is a factor, especially with transportation. I'm guessing that my date moved into mid-late March because of some sort of transportation change. Guessing.

Well, I was extremely surprised yesterday when the online info switched from April1-15, to March 18-25th for delivery to the Charlotte SC. The end of quarter stuff, from what I've read, is indeed something that is a factor, especially with transportation. I'm guessing that my date moved into mid-late March because of some sort of transportation change. Guessing.

Yes sir. I've heard the really try to push cars out at the end of March. Not sure I'll have my deposit ready - well, the way I cash way I wanted to handle it - but I guess I'll have to figure that out sooner than later!

If they have a shot at end of quarter delivery, they probably go with faster delivery service. Therefore, if they manage to pull in production by a few days and pay a premium for faster shipping it could save weeks over some bulk shipping option.