Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model 3 LR today, delivery is in 2 days. Should we be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I am not sure if we should be concerned, but we ordered a car today and are picking it up Friday. I assume they must have ramped up production for end of quarter.

Does anyone thing we should be concerned about getting this car versus one made in response to our order?

My guess is that they have excess inventory that matches what you've ordered.

If I ordered a sandwich from a restaurant, I probably wouldn't want one that they made 2 hours ago for a customer that sent it back... but I would consider myself lucky to get the car in only 2 days.

If it has a bunch of miles on the odometer or any issues upon visual inspection, then I'd reject it. Just my two cents.

No reason to be concerned. Tesla has a history of trying to sell as many cars as possible at the end of every calendar quarter. Your location is listed as Northern CA, a location close to the Fremont production plant. Tesla likely had a car matching your order being completed and is diverting it to your location, increasing their quarterly delivered and sold target.

Tesla has a massive number of cars just sitting waiting to be purchased right now. There are probably at least 100 new/unsold Teslas sitting in a shopping center parking lot near my local delivery center right now. And I don’t live anywhere near either of the US Tesla factories

Strange. There is no Model 3 inventory of any kind in my area (<200 mi) less than a week after taking delivery of my M3SR. Last week there were over a dozen to chose from. Either they sold out fast, or Tesla put the brakes on for some reason.
Pretty common. Tesla can transport the cars quicker to locations close to factory, and they want to close the sale in the quarter. At the end of the quarter the focus is on delivering cars at locations near the factory or at the factory which have minimal possibility of getting hung up in transit.

I am not sure if we should be concerned, but we ordered a car today and are picking it up Friday. I assume they must have ramped up production for end of quarter.

Does anyone thing we should be concerned about getting this car versus one made in response to our order?
I wouldn't be concerned, but be sure you do your research and know how to do a VERY thorough pre-purchase inspection. I would highly suspect the car is a prior reject from a customer. Amazing how times have changed. It took me 4 months to get my car! 6 miles on the odometer at purchase.