Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early production 2022 MY LR without Ryzen / Li-Ion - deal breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new member looking to pick up a used 2022 MY this week. Turns out it's a 11/2021 production date out of Fremont without the Ryzen/Li-ion upgrade. Would this be a deal breaker for any of you, and if so, why? The variable here is that the pricing it pretty good vs other 2022s out there. What's the "value" in the upgrade in your opinions? Thanks!

Those are a couple difference you might not notice in the life of the car. The faster GPU handles maps functions faster, like zooming and slewing. And it improves browser and video performance. If you don't do those things much or at all, you probably wouldn't notice. And the battery is likely a nothing burger - Li-ion is better, but there are few 12V AGM battery failures in the wild.

It is just a price and budget equation... Is that one an otherwise good car, and what would it cost to find an equivalent newer one? If a few hundred dollars, then I would wait and search, but if a few thousand dollars, then I would probably jump on the bird in the hand and save some cash.

Reactions: aliti19
Personally the Li-Ion batter isn't a big deal, but the AMD Ryzen is a meaningful upgrade so it would be a deal breaker for me. Each person's budget is different but since the infotainment screen is the heart of the car I would value the difference be worth about $5k.

Other things to keep an eye on in the "2022" model year has the wrap around dash, although it seems like it could be retrofitted easily

If money is not an option, then, yes, that’s always the case. However, that variable is what makes me ask the question to the group.
How long do you plan to keep the car? Is saving a little bit now worth that in the long run? You are asking about two pretty important features of the car: The CPU and 16v battery. These cars are rolling computers so you are asking is buying an old, outdated, slower computer with a worse battery that will need to be replaced more often is worth it over a faster computer that supports more forward looking features with a battery designed to last the life of the car? It's a silly question really unless money is really that tight....

My MYLR has the older CPU. I have also rented a newer Model 3. I know a lot of people say the difference is dramatic, but, tbh, for my usage I didn't think the difference was that important. If I could save money by getting the older one, I'd take it.

It is probably different if you use the browser more, though.

Reactions: jbarnum and aliti19
if you plan to keep the car for a long time i'd look for a car with Ryzen CPU (MCU3), it is both faster and will continue to get updates much further into the future than the Intel Atom MCU2.

already random features like zoom etc aren't available on MCU2 and it'll just keep happening.

I have to agree with everybody else… I had a model three with an Intel Atom processor, and it was unbelievably slow in so far as the UI was concerned.

The Internet browser was effectively not usable because it was that slow.

I ordered a MYP and the first when they try to give me had the same configuration that you were discussing and I turn it down, then ordered another one.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Definitely have a lot to think about. Are there any differences in the Atom processors over the years, or is it the exact same one from the original rollout?
It is the same from the original rollout. Having owned two '22 M3LRs, one with Intel and one with AMD, the AMD computer was definitely faster in loading music and calculating routes, for one, and restarting, for two. Browsing was far more useful. Only advantage I saw with the Intel car was a faster wake from sleep if you wanted to get status from the app - approaching the car and opening it there was no difference.

I have a 2020 Y. I like it.

Hello, new member looking to pick up a used 2022 MY this week. Turns out it's a 11/2021 production date out of Fremont without the Ryzen/Li-ion upgrade. Would this be a deal breaker for any of you, and if so, why? The variable here is that the pricing it pretty good vs other 2022s out there. What's the "value" in the upgrade in your opinions? Thanks!

Reactions: jsight
The OP is shopping for a 1 YO MY, so it seems like it is implicitly considered. No?
Model Y 2022 does not have $7500 federal tax credit and state tax credit (varying by state).
If after tax credit, the difference is between $5,000-$10,000 then the OP may want to consider MY 2023 with HW4 and comfort suspension and 2 more years warranty

Last edited:
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
If you do not plan to use the infotainment for watching YouTube, Netflix, etc. then it won't be a big deal. But the ryzen is dramatically quicker. The cameras on my ryzen Model Y appear quicker than my non-ryzen Model 3, and applications load 100x faster.

The newer interiors are easier to maintain (not gloss), and it feels more premium. If the price difference isn't too much, buy the ryzen!

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec