Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early reservations are worth more than $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a whole other thought process when it came to reserve the M3. I was thinking people were going to reserve the 2 limit just to get the points/mileage on the credit card then cancel once they get the points. You see this all the time when people buy money from the Treasury with a credit card then go to the bank and deposit it. I told my friend about this, but he said they would cancel the points/mileage after you cancel the order. Not sure if that's true or not, but that was my thinking on the deposit.

I'm not replying to this thread any longer as we're just pushing it to the top of the forum day after day. probably smarter to not give ideas to others who have reservations here.

hopefully we all get our car in a timely manner. i'll leave it at that.

Bump :p

But seriously, those who planned on scalping their M3's likely already decided to do so when they fought to try to be first in line to reserve one.

I had a whole other thought process when it came to reserve the M3. I was thinking people were going to reserve the 2 limit just to get the points/mileage on the credit card then cancel once they get the points. You see this all the time when people buy money from the Treasury with a credit card then go to the bank and deposit it. I told my friend about this, but he said they would cancel the points/mileage after you cancel the order. Not sure if that's true or not, but that was my thinking on the deposit.

I don't know about other programs, but the way my American Express works that they only give you points on net purchases. Any returns or credits that go onto your card go against that. I use my AMEX for just about everything possible not for the points, but because it is far more secure than using checks or even cash to pay for things. Right now I am up to $300 in reward points and hope to have at least $1000 saved up by the time it is my turn to customize my M3. Of course this only works if you live within your means and only charge what you know you can pay off at the end of the month. As for people who buy money from the Treasury, my understanding was that using a credit card imposes a percent transaction fee.

But seriously, those who planned on scalping their M3's likely already decided to do so when they fought to try to be first in line to reserve one.

I don't know about other programs, but the way my American Express works that they only give you points on net purchases. Any returns or credits that go onto your card go against that. I use my AMEX for just about everything possible not for the points, but because it is far more secure than using checks or even cash to pay for things. Right now I am up to $300 in reward points and hope to have at least $1000 saved up by the time it is my turn to customize my M3. Of course this only works if you live within your means and only charge what you know you can pay off at the end of the month. As for people who buy money from the Treasury, my understanding was that using a credit card imposes a percent transaction fee.

...didnt have to fight..showed up at 530 and was 21st in line..didnt decide or know two was able to be reserved until the doors opened..the sourness of the people here is astounding..i wonder if those who are bitching and moaning are reading threads by actual owners and getting mad..

As for people who buy money from the Treasury, my understanding was that using a credit card imposes a percent transaction fee.

Back when you could buy dollar coins from the treasury, you paid face value with either little or no shipping charges (don't remember). I bought many 10s of thousands of dollars of coins. It was great while it lasted. Some people did upwards of a million dollars in coins. It's called manufactured spending, and is quite popular on travel blogs.

Back when you could buy dollar coins from the treasury, you paid face value with either little or no shipping charges (don't remember). I bought many 10s of thousands of dollars of coins. It was great while it lasted. Some people did upwards of a million dollars in coins. It's called manufactured spending, and is quite popular on travel blogs.

Ah, I remember that. The good 'oll days of Manufactured Spend.. As I recall banks were not at all thrilled to see boxes of coins brought in to be deposited every week.

...didnt have to fight..showed up at 530 and was 21st in line..didnt decide or know two was able to be reserved until the doors opened..the sourness of the people here is astounding..i wonder if those who are bitching and moaning are reading threads by actual owners and getting mad..
I reserved and will be buying my car. I really don't care what you do with your reservation. But, it seems you need to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to make a buck and not be audited for it. Between price of car, taxes paid , registering it in your own name (Tesla will insist) and taking those tax credits , unless you get a decent profit it sounds like too much work/risk for me. Maybe you have a better way but I just don't see it.

Reactions: HanSolo
I reserved and will be buying my car. I really don't care what you do with your reservation. But, it seems you need to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to make a buck and not be audited for it. Between price of car, taxes paid , registering it in your own name (Tesla will insist) and taking those tax credits , unless you get a decent profit it sounds like too much work/risk for me. Maybe you have a better way but I just don't see it.
Elon appears to be really serious about ramping up production quicker than even himself expected to do so. If he can pull through with that, don't worry as it could make it very unprofitable for scalping.

...youre working off assumptions..

...i would think using the points that was from a canceled/return items would have the company put you in reserve points..but then again i heard people have elected a high FSA contribution, use it all up, and then leave the company..

Here in Ontario, when I bought my Volt I had to keep it for 12 months minimum or they would send me a bill to pay my incentive back. Now since the new incentives came out, they upped the minimum to 36 months. I asked when I called in one day how they keep track and she said a flag gets put onto the VIN of the car if it sells they will see money is owing on the car paid to the government/ministry.

How typical for California to make you wait for 36 months to get your credit. I'll bet they're hoping you forget about it and never claim it. Well, my reservation deposit wasn't based on getting anything from anyone. I'm fully expecting to pay around $60K for my configured vehicle before taxes. Anything I get from the feds and the state will be extra but I'm not counting on it. Nothing in this world is guaranteed except death and taxes.

I recently leased a Ford Fusion PHEV, and received a check for $2500.00 in the mail, from The State of California, within several weeks. The lease was transacted in August of 2015.

Scannerman