Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easier to avoid speeding tickets in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying easier to avoid speeding tickets in Tesla like getting away with it and speed.

But I mean like for those who had a lead foot, is a Tesla easier to keep at legal speed limit than a gas sports car? When I had the BMW M3, it was very tempting to speed in that thing when roads were clear. Just because that kind of car only seems to perform well when going at higher speed, and any lower speed it feels sluggish. And when you feel sluggish, you want to speed.

But for the Tesla Model 3, it seems I can still enjoy the acceleration but keep it at a legal speed limit once it reaches it. So I can still have my fun without speeding. It seems with gas cars, you can't simply accelerate and feel good, you like have to go to like 80-90 mph to feel satisfied if you have a super empty freeway.

I actually got pulled over when I picked up my Tesla Model 3. Mainly for accelerating too fast. But thankfully the cop didn't write me a ticket, he just gave me a warning, and let me off for something I thought I was gonna get a ticket for. I think it was because I slowed down once I reached the legal speed limit, I was simply testing out the acceleration. But still, I was ready to accept another speeding ticket because I knew I was playing around with the car.

But now, it's much easier to keep myself under control but still have fun with the car. I can choose autopilot when the roads are empty so I can set the speed limit rather than mindlessly go 85-95 mph without knowing. Which helped alot for toll roads because toll roads in So Cal are the most tempting places to speed and get a ticket, and cops know that, so they take advantage of that. So when I go on toll roads, I usually put autopilot on so I don't speed. And I passed cop cars trying to catch speeders, knowing that because I had autopilot on I may have prevented a speeding ticket.

Now I feel more confident that Tesla will be less tempting to wanna speed. At the same time, Tesla are still very fast and constantly accelerating here and there may be considered wreckless driving depending on the cop. And Tesla can still go fast, but I think because electric cars excel at acceleration, but not at top speed, it makes it easier to not go over the speed limit, because gas cars seem to do better when at their top speed, not lower speeds.

One thing I noticed on my test drive was that at the really high speeds, 90mph+, the Tesla did not pull quite as hard as my BMW 340i. Not that I really need to be going those speeds in the first place. But that should help avoid those times when I'm trying to pull away from a pack and look down to see I'm going 120mph.

One thing you will notice, if you didn't have it before, is that the automatic cruise control makes you less likely to speed. Because it automatically slows down to match the cars around you I regularly find myself going way slower than I intended without even noticing right away. That alone has probably saved me from a few tickets.

Another thing I can imagine with the Tesla is that the lack of noise will give it a slower perceived speed. I got pulled over twice in my BMW 135i because the cop said they heard me before they actually clocked me. With a car that makes no noise you'll be able to take off like a demon without drawing as much attention.

I have my model 3for 3 months and I find the same reaction to speed. I had a BMW 30i and you are right, it didn't feel right unless I was going75 or better. With my model 3, It feels so good at any speed that there is less reason to take a run at the faster speeds. I never thought that was possible but it is with the Tesla Model 3. I finally have gotten over my battery anxiety 2 weeks ago, and now I am really enjoying driving the model 3. I didn't order the performance model, but I am still having more fun than I expected.

I just have to add to my last post, that I am a 77-year-old gear head that has worked on ice cars since I was 12 years old, and my father owned his own repair garage as a part-time business. So the transition from ice to ev, was a great leap of faith to which I have no regrets. The different issues that are posted here have been a great help for me getting adjusted to the ev world. So I thank everybody who posts here for helping me giving me the information I need, to enjoy the pleasures of driving my Model 3.

And you can set the car to warn you if you’re going a certain speed over the limit. I have mine set at nine miles per hour over the limit. The quietness totally helps too. Loud gassers always give themselves away. Even if they’re not going that fast they sound like they are while they are accelerating.
would be better if it had speed limiter option like some bmw, for when driver wants to do manual acceleration, but with a sensible lid on the top speed

I'm not saying easier to avoid speeding tickets in Tesla like getting away with it and speed.

But I mean like for those who had a lead foot, is a Tesla easier to keep at legal speed limit than a gas sports car? When I had the BMW M3, it was very tempting to speed in that thing when roads were clear. Just because that kind of car only seems to perform well when going at higher speed, and any lower speed it feels sluggish. And when you feel sluggish, you want to speed.

But for the Tesla Model 3, it seems I can still enjoy the acceleration but keep it at a legal speed limit once it reaches it. So I can still have my fun without speeding. It seems with gas cars, you can't simply accelerate and feel good, you like have to go to like 80-90 mph to feel satisfied if you have a super empty freeway.

I actually got pulled over when I picked up my Tesla Model 3. Mainly for accelerating too fast. But thankfully the cop didn't write me a ticket, he just gave me a warning, and let me off for something I thought I was gonna get a ticket for. I think it was because I slowed down once I reached the legal speed limit, I was simply testing out the acceleration. But still, I was ready to accept another speeding ticket because I knew I was playing around with the car.

But now, it's much easier to keep myself under control but still have fun with the car. I can choose autopilot when the roads are empty so I can set the speed limit rather than mindlessly go 85-95 mph without knowing. Which helped alot for toll roads because toll roads in So Cal are the most tempting places to speed and get a ticket, and cops know that, so they take advantage of that. So when I go on toll roads, I usually put autopilot on so I don't speed. And I passed cop cars trying to catch speeders, knowing that because I had autopilot on I may have prevented a speeding ticket.

Now I feel more confident that Tesla will be less tempting to wanna speed. At the same time, Tesla are still very fast and constantly accelerating here and there may be considered wreckless driving depending on the cop. And Tesla can still go fast, but I think because electric cars excel at acceleration, but not at top speed, it makes it easier to not go over the speed limit, because gas cars seem to do better when at their top speed, not lower speeds.
He gave you a warning because you didn’t do anything to get a ticket for. Without squealing tires and erratic motions, there is no crime, and police have no way to measure acceleration. In court, the officer would have to explain what exactly you did wrong. Telling the judge you accelerated too fast without providing any evidence would likely result in a good outcome for you.

Sad to say I got a ticket just the other day. I was passing someone who was going ten under on the freeway and low and behold there was a cop on the side of the road with a LiDAR gun. Needless to say, the P3D can go from ten under to let's just say tens of mph over the speed limit in short order. Luckily he gave me a break and only wrote it for twenty something over.

• Funny
Reactions: firebat
I think the silence helps you avoid some tickets. The other day there was a cop opposite me at an intersection and when the light turned red I gunned it anyway since it didn't seem he was looking at me. Guy didn't even notice, I was going about 65 by the time I was through the intersection. My buddy in his GT would have been going less than 60 and would have drawn way more attention.

I think the silence helps you avoid some tickets. The other day there was a cop opposite me at an intersection and when the light turned red I gunned it anyway since it didn't seem he was looking at me. Guy didn't even notice, I was going about 65 by the time I was through the intersection. My buddy in his GT would have been going less than 60 and would have drawn way more attention.
I agree with this 100% I've often thought the exact same thing

This ^^^...it's impossible for cops to look at every car in front of them. But when they hear some loud engine roar, it'll definitely catch their attention.