Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Model S Road-Trip: Eight States and Two Six-Strings, a Father and his Son

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jim,

Please complete the scene here on the island. I'm assuming you actually slept in the back of the Tesla or did you tent it? I'd love to see a photo of you and Peter sleeping in the back. Again, new to club and yet to own. Is there that much space for good sleeping? Remember, I'm 6'1" and tower over you :tongue:.

Also, please share some photos of the aforementioned famous wild horses. No need to share video of your Mick imitation though (been there, done that!)

Also, please share the desire for the boots. Is this a fallout from the "cowboy up" Red Sox tradition in Boston?

Cheers, mate. Thoughts and prayers to your Boston compadres! Attacking Patriots day will only make us more patriotic!

Dave

Updates from the road.... Jim, Peter & "Elroy"

IMG_6420.jpg

horsing with a Model S

IMG_5298.jpg

Beaching with Mr Ed.

IMG_2769.jpg

Tesla put to good use on the dunes of Assteague.

IMG_0329.jpg

Boots:$15. Tesla: pricey. Time away with Son: Priceless.

All - From Jim:

Great day. Simple. Breakfast, beach walk, Horses, highway. Arrived here at Camden yards an hour ago. Just got tix.

IMG_7403.jpg

High-Class time with Dad in Baltimore.

IMG_3928.jpg

Making the most of a Model S: Music and Lyrics on the touchscreen.

IMG_4398.jpg

A New Hood and a New Lid. Heading into see the Orioles at Camden Yards.

More updates from the road!!! Jim & Peter!

IMG_6365.jpg

Two Cannons, 150 years apart. Gettysburg.

IMG_7435.jpg

Camden Yards. Father & Son.

IMG_8393.jpg

Tour guide at Gettysburg, getting the ultimate test drive.

IMG_8647.jpg

Uncle Gil and a Model S return to NYC.

Home.
Super trip.
We left with no reservations, we came home with no regrets.
Met most of the goals stated on page one. Met other goals we didn't know we had.
Met many good people along the way.

Total Distance: 1,401 (1401.1) miles.
Energy use average: 327 wh/mile.
Supercharge Miles: About 1,000, at least 900.
Eight Staes (MA RI CT NY NJ DE MD PA).

Route:
Day 1: From Boston area to NYC (2 nights) - Supercharged in Milford CT and in a garage in NYC via Plugshare/Chargepoint (was EASY).
Day 3: New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland to Assateague Island, camping (2 nights) - Supercharged at Newark DE and next day at a Model S owner's house which was great (fyi could have charged at plugshare site or other campground).
Day 5: Baltimore (Camden yards) to Gettysburg Campground - chose to go northern route through Newark DE Supercharger, then charged overnight at Gettysburg Campground.
Day 6: Back to NYC and Times Square (the car loves that place) - Supercharged at Newark DE charged in Garage overnight.
Day 7: back home - supercharged in Milford, CT.

Issues:
Broken Charge-points in Greenwich Village and Baltimore MD. Neither was important for me but could have been a hassle for others.
Poor quality quesadilla at Newark DE Supercharger - recommend the chicken parm at la Familigia instead.

Highlights: $15 Cowboy boots in Berlin, Md.
Low lights: Window left open beachside overnight.
Most amazing person: Jessie Turner at The Shoebox in Berlin, MD.
Most offensive comment: any line from Book of Mormon, which was otherwise thoroughly enjoyable.
Most amazing coincidence: Meeting a Model S in a town of 3,000, 625 miles from home.
Best Meal: Oddly, The Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square. i know, neither did I.
Best Ambiance: T-Bone Steaks over a campfire on Assateague Island.
Worst meal: Soft shell crab sandwich at Camden Yards. And I love soft shell crab. But the ambience was awesome.

Will post a few more pics - thanks to the good folk of Berlin MD for your support, thanks to Aaron for your IT support and encouragement.

You can take a Model S almost anywhere. It has more room than an SUV, is wicked safe, fuel-efficient, and fast - and rides like no other car. Hard to beat that.
Should have grabbed John Broder for a beer in NYC.

Was not free - learned later it was $295/hour of charging - oops! Was the only charging I paid for in 1,400 miles on that trip. Sorry about the error. You can start stop charging with your mobile app, or set a charging limit (Software V 2.5) to limit the cost. Good luck! Beam Charge at e90th!