Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't think the SC network east of Montreal is a priority right now.
What they need is Burlington Vt. or Plattsburgh up and running as well as a SC around Cobourg and one on Hwy 7 somewhere between Toronto and Ottawa such as the Tweed area.
Ottawa would be more of a priority one would think than Riviere du Loup!
Ottawa is reachable via Cornwall and Montreal and you can charge enough to do two way and back on a single charge. Ottawa would be nice but not a necessity that will save 3 hours of time in people travel. Riviere-du-Loup is a different story... It will help people save a +3 hours off their trip. East province also need to come to Montreal for service, so SC on that route is a must for giving current owner a little help on their travel.

The US side is a different story and on a different deployment plans anyway. I hope Plattsburgs (or a little father) get one before the next winter...

And btw I am travelling to Ottawa in June for a conference and do not feel in the least a need for a Hwy 7 SC.

But you are missing the point. Hwy 7 is a picturesque and fun route to take more so than the 401.
I timed it once several years ago and it only takes 15 minutes longer to take the hwy 7 to Ottawa from Toronto.
The 401 is just too boring and if there is a traffic jam due to an accident, you could be sitting for hours.[/QUOTE]

I have made the trip from the west of the GTA to Ottawa and back a number of times without charging en route. Now that there are charging option in Peterborough, what more is needed?

As you know, no Canadian Supercharging yet East of Drummondville. At least some CHAdeMO stations are coming online which will help in the interim.

Construction started today on one at the offices of ADDÉnergie in Québec City. It is a model that has worked well several times with my Model S + Adapter. 123A, up to 45 kW observed, depending on the voltage. It will be on the Circuit Electric network. $10/hr, billed by the minute. If you don't have a membership, you can call to use a credit card, but a $2 surcharge will apply. For anyone traveling on A20/Trans-Canada Hwy it is an 11 km detour each way. Beware of rush hour traffic on the bridges if you do come from A20.

Work has also commenced on a CHAdeMO station 2 km off the highway in La Pocatiere. Details are sketchy pending an official announcement, but it may be a unit with a max of 30 kW. La Pocatiere is 261 km East of Drummondville on the Trans-Canada (61 km West of the planned Supercharger site in Rivière-du-Loup).

From there it gets quite lonely. Almost 800 km to the next CHAdeMO in Truro, NS (a station capped at 28 kW due to the site's electrical capacity). Thank goodness for the Sun Country locations to fill in the gaps,

Construction started today on one at the offices of ADDÉnergie in Québec City. It is a model that has worked well several times with my Model S + Adapter. 123A, up to 45 kW observed, depending on the voltage. It will be on the Circuit Electric network. $10/hr, billed by the minute. If you don't have a membership, you can call to use a credit card, but a $2 surcharge will apply. For anyone traveling on A20/Trans-Canada Hwy it is an 11 km detour each way. Beware of rush hour traffic on the bridges if you do come from A20.

Work has also commenced on a CHAdeMO station 2 km off the highway in La Pocatiere. Details are sketchy pending an official announcement, but it may be a unit with a max of 30 kW. La Pocatiere is 261 km East of Drummondville on the Trans-Canada (61 km West of the planned Supercharger site in Rivière-du-Loup).

From there it gets quite lonely. Almost 800 km to the next CHAdeMO in Truro, NS (a station capped at 28 kW due to the site's electrical capacity). Thank goodness for the Sun Country locations to fill in the gaps,

Thank you. That is good news. I did buy a ChaDeMo adaptor, thinking I would only get to use it in Truro, N.S. for our trip down East this summer, but if the La Pocatiere site is ready by the end of June it will come in very handy if the Riviere du Loup SC is not up and running. I already have my Circuit Electrique card. Bought it the week after we got our Model S, for insurance. Took only a week or so to come in the mail from Quebec. I thought the card would be charged $10.00 per charge no matter how long.... Did not realize it was charged by the minute.

Thank you. That is good news. I did buy a ChaDeMo adaptor, thinking I would only get to use it in Truro, N.S. for our trip down East this summer, but if the La Pocatiere site is ready by the end of June it will come in very handy if the Riviere du Loup SC is not up and running. I already have my Circuit Electrique card. Bought it the week after we got our Model S, for insurance. Took only a week or so to come in the mail from Quebec. I thought the card would be charged $10.00 per charge no matter how long.... Did not realize it was charged by the minute.

The Circuit Electrique bills differently for level 2 and level 3 chargers: $2.50 flat rate for the former and $10.00 per hour charged by the minute (as long as your car is plugged in) for the latter.

The underline is to clarify that you will continue to be billed $ even if your car has stopped charging, if you do not unplug it.

Last edited:
I see that Circuit Electrique also has a phone app. Has anyone tried that out instead of the RFID card? I'm wondering if it's reliable enough that I can forego ordering the card.

When you order the card for $10, you also receive a $10 credit on your account, so you don't gain much by going app only. Otherwise, the app works well, but is not accepted by the older 30% of the network's L2 units. Also, in the rare occasion there's a communication issue between the station and the home servers the card will still work, but not the app.

There will probably not be a Supercharger near there until at least 2017, so it's nice to see 46 kW CHAdeMO become available in Halifax. This photo comes from an article by the Quebec association of EVs. The VERnetwork's site doesn't yet list pricing. As per the article, the installation is thanks to a partnership between the N.S. Power, Loblaws, and AddEnergie. The location is the Loblaws Superstore on Barrington Street.

Halifax.jpg

Awesome! I live in halifax and will be looking to get a EV in the near future so this is great news. Just hope NS power builds the other 3 around the city like they say they will. Now thats there is one in halifax and truro I just need one in moncton so I will be able to make my trips there all on DC charging :biggrin:

And the price is on PlugShare now, $2.50 per 15mins.

Any news on the Riviere du Loup SC? Been almost a month getting the permit.

Nothing started at the site as of yesterday, May 17th. The city has approved the site, but there may be different levels of permits still required. Does Hydro-Quebec still need to review the plans?

As for CHAdeMO, they obviously stopped for the holiday weekend, but construction has been moving along well at the 2327 Boulevard du Versant North site in Quebec City. (Circuit Electric network). It should be open in a week or two. No update on the independent project in La Pocatière, which will probably be coin-operated.

Last edited:
I am excited about the La Pocatiere site since it makes a nice spot to more rapidly charge beyond Quebec City. And it seems like instillation has at least been started. I really doubt that the Riviere du Loup SC will be done by the summer driving season, since it has not been started yet and I assume it to be such a much more involved process than installing a ChaDeMo.

I am excited about the La Pocatiere site since it makes a nice spot to more rapidly charge beyond Quebec City. And it seems like instillation has at least been started. I really doubt that the Riviere du Loup SC will be done by the summer driving season, since it has not been started yet and I assume it to be such a much more involved process than installing a ChaDeMo.
It take 3 week to install a SuperCharger in general. It would have been great if it were ready for June first... But at this point, unless we are blessed with a temporary SuperCharger, that not going to happen :(