Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only been on this forum for 6-months, but I'd like to know where this 3-week installation timeline came from. It seems like 3-months may be more accurate. :p

Quite frequently it takes 3 weeks for an installation, not including the utility transformer. It's the utility hookup that is usually the issue.

If you have hours to spare (waste?), check out Superchargers and click on the "Discuss" links. There are plenty of examples of installations that went quickly. It's the few that drag on interminably that everyone remembers!

Quite frequently it takes 3 weeks for an installation, not including the utility transformer. It's the utility hookup that is usually the issue.

The utility will typically energize within a few days of all safety inspections passing. Utilities hook services like this up all the time, every day. It's just that most are actual buildings and such. There is nothing special about these connections from the utility's point of view.

I think the biggest delay is in finding a site, negotiating with the property owner and dealing with any municipal by-laws that might need to be amended to accommodate the Superchargers. The actual construction should be "cookie cutter" by now for the contractor building the site.

I guess we can be thankful we are not dealing with some U.S. Sites where if you click on the SC icon it might show permitting taking 91 days or even 150 days. It does strike me as ironic the the land that purports to be the bastion of free enterprise and the country that actually builds this great automobile has so many states/ areas that do nothing but throw up obstructions to the sale of Teslas. I suspect that some of the huge delays on SC construction there are motivated by the same warped anti-Tesla politicking. And reading the forums on the two delayed New York SCs sounds like most of the delay is just waiting for the state utilities to get around to hooking them up to the grid.

Hello, not sure where else to post this finding. I dropped by the Comber, ON supercharger sight this past Thursday afternoon to show a friend what they look like. There were no tesla's charging, but I noticed the doors (yes both of them) on the enclosure that house the electrical equipment seemed to be out of alignment. On further investigation it appears they have been tampered with, some one has been pulling/pushing on them and these wooden doors are starting to buckle. As you can see from the photo's there is a large gap between the door jam and door. Who or how can I alert Tesla of this potential future problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 570
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 510
I visited the Barrie SC on Saturday for a top-up. I was the only car there at the time, as usual at SCs. It is kind of a strange place for now being in a half-built strip mall that is only partially leased up. I guess it will be a better location in a year or two when the mall is occupied.

I visited the Barrie SC on Saturday for a top-up. I was the only car there at the time, as usual at SCs. It is kind of a strange place for now being in a half-built strip mall that is only partially leased up. I guess it will be a better location in a year or two when the mall is occupied.

I was there last weekend and there were 4 cars on Sunday on my way to Muskoka, but I came back Tuesday morning and was the only car there at that time. I'll bet it was busy Monday evening with those coming south after the long weekend.

I like the idea that they're remote (little chance of ICEing) but it is a bit of a hike to the restaurants. Nothing nearby but that big old empty Target store.

I've been there 8 times. Except once, there was always at least one other car there. I quite like the location. Yes it's a couple of hundred meters, but there are several restaurants. And it's really really easy to kill 40 minutes between Bestbuy and Cabelas! Although it certainly tends to eliminate the value any gas savings. And of course, the location will improve over time as the area gets more built up.

As of last weekend, no work has started at the Riviere-du-Loup site. The friendly staff members at l'Hotel Universel are aware that Superchargers are coming, but don't know the time-table. (Or are just being discrete at the request of Tesla Motors).

No recent progress at the CHAdeMO location in La Pocatiere. A platform was built with conduits running to an underground electrical source two weeks ago, but no work since then.

The CHAdeMO in Quebec City should be ready very soon. I just hope the opening isn't delayed for the perceived need to wait for dignitaries to be available for an opening ceremony.

Went by the Lawrence store today... the parking lot is packed with new cars for delivery. I was lucky to get the last SC spot. Still charged at 352v and it went up to 375v once another car left. Will post a picture later

Hi mibaro2. The voltage is determined entirely by the state of charge of the battery. The charger just has to provide the appropriate voltage to force current into the battery. This voltage goes up to close to 400V as the battery becomes close to full. I suspect that the voltage was completely independent of whether there is a car sharing the paired stall or not.

What will vary dramatically is the current. Power = voltage * current.

This is not true... You will see 'high' changes in the voltage when the current change (Like if you sharing power with another stall). Charging at low amperage vs supercharging will give you different voltage curve.

No doubt you're correct. I was just thinking of the voltage applied during a normal charging session, which varies with battery SOC in the sense that for a given SOC you'll see a given voltage and current from the Supercharger. I think I'm right on that... What I think I was trying to point out was that higher voltage does not necessarily mean higher power, in fact it's usually the opposite. The voltage goes up as the battery is charged, but the current goes down much more proportionally. (And thus the power tapers down.)