Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the time since I've had my car (March 2013), I have lost count of the Quebec / Canada supercharger rumors I heard from various sources.

Time will tell of course, but one thing has so far remained true - whatever "it" is, it will not happen quickly (being winter & being Quebec).

they won't do that. there seems to be a power issue at Ferrier so that is why they are considering more around the area including the Orange Julius next door I'm told by their service department.
That would make no sense since they are on the same grid and Tesla did install a new circuit and their own transformer when they renovated, so if power is available at Orange Julep, then it available at the Tesla Store.

There is Public SC probably only as a temporary measure. They wanted one installed inside so they had to upgrade the facility power, so they decided to add a SuperCharger outside since they already had the power available. It wouldn't look good to have 2 additional SC cabinet in front neither.

Now maybe Tesla is throttling the available power at the SC because you have to pay more when going over 50kW, so they probably have set something that limit the total facility power usage (But I'm just guessing like lot of other people seem to be doing over here ;)

Before the new transformer went online in January 2015 at the Montreal center, not only were the Superchargers not operational, but all of the facility's HPWCs were only running at 40A.

Even now, some of the HPWC in the service area are only 40A. The transformer is only 500 kVA (some members photographed it during the open house/opening ceremony in December 2014). I suspect it's maxed out, so additional investment would be required, even if HQ were prepared to provide more power.

It would be much better if new stalls went elsewhere, anyway. I have to admit that it must be hard to find space in Montreal. Place Vertu's lot can get very crowded. The last time I was there, I found beige paint on my bumper. Luckily, it came off and only revealed a slight scratch.

i still can not get an official confirmation from Tesla... Anybody has?
You won't get any until it operational.

The wait is frustrating, and confirmation would great... But in Québec with the CHAdeMO deployment, it really reduce the urgency for the SuperCharger.

But I rather charge at 117kW than 42kW :) So looking forward to see what happening this summer !

Updated 2016 Superchargers map, at least the following planned SC were removed:
  • Platsburg, NY
  • Rivière-du-Loup, QC
  • Second Quebec City (there were two planned on the previous map)
At least Montreal kept its second supercharger...

Untitled.png

I see Huntsville, which would be nice to have for the start of cottage season this year, and there is North Bay, which I've heard mentioned before, but HELLO, there's a supercharger for Sudbury?

Zing! And civilization ends at cottage country? :)

There are quite a few Telsas up here In our little mining camp of 180,000 among the rocks, moose and beavers. :). Plus Sudbury and North Bay are the logical first steps in supercharging the TC highway across Ontario. Next would be Pembroke.

Although, really, I would prefer one in Parry Sound. Right now it's too far from Sudbury to the Barrie SC in the winter.

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
Zing! And civilization ends at cottage country? :)

Although, really, I would prefer one in Parry Sound. Right now it's too far from Sudbury to the Barrie SC in the winter.

Well no, civilization ends at Cochrane, where I'm forced to turn west to Kap, but that's wandering off topic. ;-)

If I want to get to the Sault on electrons, I will need an SC in Sudbury and, guessing, Blind River. That was simply the first time I had seen an SC marker for Sudbury, which surprised me.

Well no, civilization ends at Cochrane, where I'm forced to turn west to Kap, but that's wandering off topic. ;-)

If I want to get to the Sault on electrons, I will need an SC in Sudbury and, guessing, Blind River. That was simply the first time I had seen an SC marker for Sudbury, which surprised me.

I think that it would make sense to move the proposed Sudbury supercharger to Espanola. That would provide better spacing, as it would be 200km from North Bay, 240 km from Sault Ste. Marie, and would connect with Manitoulin Island and the ferry to Tobermory. An Espanola supercharger would also reinforce the case for a supercharger in Parry Sound (225km distance) and a supercharger in Sault Ste. Marie that would allow Tesla to connect into the Michigan supercharger network.

I think that the priority in northern Ontario should be to facilitate travel along the TransCanada Hwy, connect folks into the Michigan supercharger network, and gradually extend the supercharger network around Lake Superior to the supercharger in Duluth. Getting a Tesla to Timmins and Kapuskasing over the next five years will have to rely on the initiative of the provincial government and their proposed build out of a CHAdeMO network.

I think that it would make sense to move the proposed Sudbury supercharger to Espanola. That would provide better spacing, as it would be 200km from North Bay, 240 km from Sault Ste. Marie, and would connect with Manitoulin Island and the ferry to Tobermory. An Espanola supercharger would also reinforce the case for a supercharger in Parry Sound (225km distance) and a supercharger in Sault Ste. Marie that would allow Tesla to connect into the Michigan supercharger network.

I think that the priority in northern Ontario should be to facilitate travel along the TransCanada Hwy, connect folks into the Michigan supercharger network, and gradually extend the supercharger network around Lake Superior to the supercharger in Duluth. Getting a Tesla to Timmins and Kapuskasing over the next five years will have to rely on the initiative of the provincial government and their proposed build out of a CHAdeMO network.

I agree with all points above. An Espanola charger would also allow for people vacationing on Manitoulin Island. The only downside is that without one in Sudbury proper, people would be hard pressed to make it into town for day trips, and then to get back to Parry Sound. But of course the same could be said for Kitchener.