Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Plugshare, two Hotels there advertise measly 120V outlets. But There is a private 14-50 available nearby.

Yeah, I have had success at any hotel I have stayed at getting a 120V trickle, but that barely covers any daytime running around, you get 50 km overnight, then you zip over to Thornbury (Bruce Wine Bar always great to visit) and have burned up your overnight charge.

I personally think that it is primarily intended for cottage country people. Barrie allows them to service destinAtions on both 11 and 400. There are too few of us up here in Sudbury and North Bay, I think, for us to be the target group.

When visiting the Toronto Lawrence Tesla store (last summer), one of the employees there mentioned the Barrie charger as an example of how the corporate listens to the local centres for the location of the chargers. He said they gave (the corporate) the cottage country traffic as a reason for it.

It is very close to Toronto, but I think it's more meant to be able to get to the cottage and back, assuming you're not going to have the kind of service that's going to help with the destination charging...

When visiting the Toronto Lawrence Tesla store (last summer), one of the employees there mentioned the Barrie charger as an example of how the corporate listens to the local centres for the location of the chargers. He said they gave (the corporate) the cottage country traffic as a reason for it.

It is very close to Toronto, but I think it's more meant to be able to get to the cottage and back, assuming you're not going to have the kind of service that's going to help with the destination charging...

That makes sense to me. The folks who own cottages are the same demographic that they're targeting with the Model S at current prices. if you've spent that kind of money on a car like this, you don't want to have to tell people that you can't bring it up to the cottage. They've also conveniently located it next to a Cabelas, so that you can pick up some minnows and extra tackle on the way up. :)

My Family and I frequently day trip to Blue Mountain / Collingwood / Wasaga Beach and the Barrie Supercharger is critical for a no stress round trip. Additionally in the grand scheme, for adaptation of Tesla as a road trip car we need Superchargers across Canada and the Northern route through Sudbury and onwards to Manitoba needs coverage as does the Eastern route to the East Coast.

My Family and I frequently day trip to Blue Mountain / Collingwood / Wasaga Beach and the Barrie Supercharger is critical for a no stress round trip. Additionally in the grand scheme, for adaptation of Tesla as a road trip car we need Superchargers across Canada and the Northern route through Sudbury and onwards to Manitoba needs coverage as does the Eastern route to the East Coast.

To me, the next step is to work on the 417 out of Ottawa - ultimately to the Soo. Unfortunately, it will likely be a tough slog to initially install stations on the north side of Superior through Thunder Bay, and so they should first install stations on the south side of Superior making it possible to get from the Soo to Duluth. That will fairly quickly connect most points in eastern Canada to most points in of Western Canada without having to do a really long southern detour.

Wishful thinking for sure. I'm headed to NAIAS next Friday, unless Comber is online I'll be taking our van.

I can't understand why you would take your VAN to get to NAIAS! I got there last week with -20°C temperature ... FROM Trois-Rivieres, Quebec ... and I had to «slow» charge in Kingston!

You have Woodstock Supercharger at mid-point! In Detroit, you have to charge, but it can be at 30 Amps, since you will be there for a few hours, right? I suggest the Millenium garage which is an underground and secure parking (10$ a day) with 2 free Chargepoint station (you need a Chargepoint RFID card). See Plugshare. It's only 200 meters from Cobo Center!

Charge up to 90% SOC and you won't have any problem to reach Woodstock Supercharger ... even at -20°C !!

But is it really feasible to do the TransCanada through Northern Ontario. I used to work on installing the Fibre Optic transmission line and you can drive for two hours between towns/gas stations especially on the Hwy 11 route. I would prefer to see more SCs in more populated locations myself rather than along the T-Can. It would be nice to have one in London. I am going to be going to London from my Scarborough home and back on the same day in early March. If the weather is cold then I will be cutting it close to hit the Woodstock SC on the way home as that will be about 260km. So I might have to stop for a few minutes on the way there for a quick top-up and then again on the way home. If there was a SC in London then I could just do it with one SC stop in London.

But is it really feasible to do the TransCanada through Northern Ontario.... I used to work on installing the Fibre Optic transmission line and you can drive for two hours between towns/gas stations especially on the Hwy 11 route. I would prefer to see more SCs in more populated locations myself rather than along the T-Can. It would be nice to have one in London. I am going to be going to London from my Scarborough home and back on the same day in early March. If the weather is cold then I will be cutting it close to hit the Woodstock SC on the way home as that will be about 260km. So I might have to stop for a few minutes on the way there for a quick top-up and then again on the way home. If there was a SC in London then I could just do it with one SC stop in London.

I'm all in favour of SCs in population centers as well. And I think London is a logical location. But, the ability for an EV to travel from the east to west coast of the country has to be one of the top goals. And in Canada, that means the TC. The 417/17 run from Ottawa to the Soo border crossing is "Northern Ontario" - but only barely. There are a lot of potential charger locations. That run, and then the cut below Superior before heading back north is one of the main runs for traffic across the country. I've done it a number of times.

Oakville is one of the largest and fastest growing areas for EV ownership...lots of folks in Oakville have cottages north of Barrie...

Not necessarily the target group, but it makes more sense then having it in barrie NOW and maybe a supercharger much more north later on. People going to the cottage can get a quick juice up to full battery and if your cottage is more than 300km north, then thats your own issue. People headed south from north bay for example, can get to barrie, juice up, and continue to toronto.

I honestly think barrie makes the most sense right now.

I can't understand why you would take your VAN to get to NAIAS! I got there last week with -20°C temperature ... FROM Trois-Rivieres, Quebec ... and I had to «slow» charge in Kingston!

You have Woodstock Supercharger at mid-point! In Detroit, you have to charge, but it can be at 30 Amps, since you will be there for a few hours, right? I suggest the Millenium garage which is an underground and secure parking (10$ a day) with 2 free Chargepoint station (you need a Chargepoint RFID card). See Plugshare. It's only 200 meters from Cobo Center!

Charge up to 90% SOC and you won't have any problem to reach Woodstock Supercharger ... even at -20°C !!

I tried this last year but the Millenium garage chargers were both occupied by Volts. I'm considering going this year but charging for 2-3 hours in Chatham on the way back is probably the only option with temps as low as they are right now.

I would like to see TESLA concentrate on tbe southern ONTARIO and QUEBEC markets. We really need the SC network going here much faster than it is going now. Perhaps they should ease off of some of the AMERICAN locations and concentrate more up here?

The KINGSTON debacle is a prime example.

I personally really like the 2015 planned map. I guess the only site missing is Ottawa which I think should be added in 2015. Now after that, 2016 is really disappointing :)

I agree about Kingston not being active still to be an issue, and I really hope that problem will be resolved and the Kingston, Montreal and Drummondville will be up in running in the next few weeks !