Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how about another really simple slider: NUMERATE / INNUMERATE

Select NUMERATE and you'll get useful data. Select INNUMERATE and you'll get the same sort of "simple" information they're displaying now.

Ok, they could pick something a little less insulting than INNUMERATE. :) I agree, though, it is frustrating to know that there is a lot of information about the car being recorded which you, as the owner, cannot access.

Or, rather, cannot access from the car. Some of it is available via the API, so people have set things up to be able to see measurements throughout a charging session, for example, and create nice graphs. Why can't we see those numbers and graphs in the car?

So how about another really simple slider: NUMERATE / INNUMERATE

Select NUMERATE and you'll get useful data. Select INNUMERATE and you'll get the same sort of "simple" information they're displaying now.

Ok, they could pick something a little less insulting than INNUMERATE. :) I agree, though, it is frustrating to know that there is a lot of information about the car being recorded which you, as the owner, cannot access.
In the software world, it is called the debug mode :).

Here is the log of my 0-100% from the Montreal SuperCharger :
http://matesla.ca/mocteslatracker/charging.html?charging_session_id=293

Took 125minutes for a full charge from "Charge Now" Message :)

The battery was warm since I had it running in my garage for a few hours (in neutral with park), and I drove to Cornwall, did a SC enough to get back to MTL to Test the SuperCharger empty !!! Talk about dedication right ? :)

Hold on one cotton-pickin' second. Where did you get that data from and that app to track it? I love it and want it for myself!!!

The ridiculous amount of averaging they do for range and power displays is simply stupid. An instantaneous number would be far more useful, and less confusing. I always end up doing mental math to figure out my actual charge rate, so I know how long before I can return to the car. Otherwise I'd have to sit in the car for half an hour to let the rate stabilize.

There is some value that is good that it averaged. For the example, the usage graph are averaged over the last few KM.

I made a Wh/KM graph from car logs and showing actual instant usage make graph that are not really useful. When doing an average of the last few KM, you get a much nicer graph like I've done here : http://matesla.ca/mocteslatracker/trip.html?trip_id=1111

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on one cotton-pickin' second. Where did you get that data from and that app to track it? I love it and want it for myself!!!
From the car API (Same API that your phone app query). I basically query the API every minute (I could do it more often, but 1 minute range is enough data point.
The app I've made myself. I track 24/7 car data including precise trip information and charge information. It not ready to be shared yet. I want to offer it in a way that I can host it for people since it require a server to run it from, but sadly the only way to get the car information is with the tesla login/password. I have a few idea to bypass this problem but I'm busy working on other things.

There is some value that is good that it averaged. For the example, the usage graph are averaged over the last few KM.

Of course, for usage it makes complete sense to average the data, as people drive up and down hills etc. In fact for the last two years I've been complaining that the Energy App defaults back to Instantaneous every time you start the car - which is totally useless. Only with the 6.0 update did they finally fix that - it now defaults to average and remembers your last setting.

For charging this makes much almost no sense whatsoever. The car ramps up the power from zero to 80A over a minute or so, but takes many many minutes to show a realistic kilometers per hour number. The charging rate does not vary quickly.

On the Quebec site, roulezelectrique.com, the Quebec City taxi driver reports that he couldn't Supercharge at the Montreal Store because the cable was too stiff. He writes that it might have been possible if he parked perpendicular to the stalls, but he didn't want to risk damage by forcing things

It was -16°C/3°F. Clearly, temperatures this low have been seen in South Dakota, Cornwall, etc, and I don't remember mention of this problem. Has the cable been changed? Or do they have different cables for different environments and installed the wrong one in Montreal?

http://roulezelectrique.com/supercharger-tesla-a-montreal-cest-fonctionnel/#comment-1039955

On the Quebec site, roulezelectrique.com, the Quebec City taxi driver reports that he couldn't Supercharge at the Montreal Store because the cable was too stiff. He writes that it might have been possible if he parked perpendicular to the stalls, but he didn't want to risk damage by forcing things

It was -16°C/3°F. Clearly, temperatures this low have been seen in South Dakota, Cornwall, etc, and I don't remember mention of this problem. Has the cable been changed? Or do they have different cables for different environments and installed the wrong one in Montreal?

http://roulezelectrique.com/supercharger-tesla-a-montreal-cest-fonctionnel/#comment-1039955

I've charged in Highland Park (near Chicago), Mishiwaka, Maumee and Macedonia at much lower temperatures than those. Perhaps a different cable, but I suspect user error...

I also found the cord to be pretty stiff, but it still usable with force. But not everyone will have the force to do it. It weird Tesla haven't selected a better cable since their early SC days.

There is still probably room for improvement, but you probably have not used the first-generation, tilt-over cable. They had almost no margin for error. Compare the more modern one connected to the white MS, with the "tilt-over" connected to my Sig Red.

Folsum.jpg

I think the Burlington one is still a little "up in the air"...there will be one installed, but probably in conjunction with where ever they move the Mississauga Service Center to...Hamilton / Burlington / Oakville...hopefully we will know soon.

Are we certain they're actually going to move it? I certainly hope not. It seems they could keep Tranmere as a small satellite center.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, no pics but I went past the Barrie site Saturday afternoon for a quick peek. All of the stalls look complete and the utility transformer is installed. The entire Supercharger compound (the area usually enclosed in a wooden structure) is completely covered by a large tent. I can only assume that is to keep the weather out while they finish up the wiring inside. The parking area that the Superchargers reside in is still blocked off at the entrances, but it looks pretty close to being ready.

I made a Wh/KM graph from car logs and showing actual instant usage make graph that are not really useful. When doing an average of the last few KM, you get a much nicer graph like I've done here : http://matesla.ca/mocteslatracker/trip.html?trip_id=1111

- - - Updated - - -

From the car API (Same API that your phone app query). I basically query the API every minute (I could do it more often, but 1 minute range is enough data point.
The app I've made myself. I track 24/7 car data including precise trip information and charge information. It not ready to be shared yet. I want to offer it in a way that I can host it for people since it require a server to run it from, but sadly the only way to get the car information is with the tesla login/password. I have a few idea to bypass this problem but I'm busy working on other things.

Well however you did it, I'm blown away. Keep me posted as to how you want us simple folk to subscribe to your system. It's genius! I'd be more than happy to join up to help you beta test.

I also found the cord to be pretty stiff, but it still usable with force. But not everyone will have the force to do it. It weird Tesla haven't selected a better cable since their early SC days.

Yep, when I used a SuperCharger for the first time (Cornwall) I had the red light when I put the cable... first I thought that there was a problem with the SuC (it was Day 1 of operation) but I decided to really force the cable to really go in and then it worked... I had to apply the same force when I did my 2 SuperCharge in Montreal... probably it's the same that happened to the taxi driver...

I supercharged at Cornwall today and saw what I'd call a "reverse taper" - power gradually increasing for the first half of the charge before it started to taper off. At first I thought the low charge rate of under 30 kW at 30% SOC might be a bad supercharger and nobody else was there, so I switched from stall 1B to 2A and then to 3A, and then when I was almost done charging, back to 1A, but changing stalls made no difference. Here's a graph from VisibleTesla data:

Supercharge.jpg

You can see two of the 3 times I stopped briefly to switch stalls; I guess the first switch happened in between VT polls. The Power line shows it clearly ramping up and then starting to ramp back down. Is this because of temperature? It was -13C but I had just been driving for about 1/2 hour and there were no regen limits, so the battery should have been mostly warm.

Clearly the charge rate is affected by something other than just the state of charge, even if nobody else is using the supercharger.

I supercharged at Cornwall today and saw what I'd call a "reverse taper" - power gradually increasing for the first half of the charge before it started to taper off. At first I thought the low charge rate of under 30 kW at 30% SOC might be a bad supercharger and nobody else was there, so I switched from stall 1B to 2A and then to 3A, and then when I was almost done charging, back to 1A, but changing stalls made no difference. Here's a graph from VisibleTesla data:

View attachment 70402

You can see two of the 3 times I stopped briefly to switch stalls; I guess the first switch happened in between VT polls. The Power line shows it clearly ramping up and then starting to ramp back down. Is this because of temperature? It was -13C but I had just been driving for about 1/2 hour and there were no regen limits, so the battery should have been mostly warm.

Clearly the charge rate is affected by something other than just the state of charge, even if nobody else is using the supercharger.
It's probably because your battery was cold and couldn't handle the high rate of charge. As it warmed up it could accept a faster charging rate.

In cold temperatures the battery never reaches normal operating temperatures. Yes highway speeds represent higher power draw, but you also have a lot of cold air rushing over the exposed bottom of the battery pack.

So what you were seeing was the battery warming up and the power increasing, until you hit the taper.