Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you tell me where you charged up in Cobourg? If it's a convenient location, I am thinking of not going to the Tesla Lawrence Supercharger during rush hour on our way back to Ottawa.

During cold spells in Ottawa ( -25 C ), my energy consumption is way up especially after parking outdoors for a couple of hours. The range is 350 to 500 Wh/km. During mild weather, it is more in the 180 to 210 Wh/km range.

For my trip to Toronto on Friday, I preheated before leaving and I averaged 290 Wh/km in -22 C weather from Ottawa to Kingston

I agree, go to the Supercharger, I think it warms up the batteries more too. My friend drove from SC to Cobourg going 120 and then I drove from Cobourg at 110 and his consumption was less than mine. We charged at Best Western in Cobourg, decent restaurant there, also Pizza hut and Boston Pizza within walking distance.

Given its isolated position at the back of the property, I wouldn't be surprised if the plow gave it a knock on the way by. I know I wouldn't be expecting anything delicate to be back there if I was a plow driver. I trust you informed Tesla of your findings?

Wow, you used that much energy just getting to Kingston? Even though you drove slowly (for the 401) and with the HVAC off? I trust you didn't leave Toronto with a full charge? And you know you save more energy with range mode ON, right?

Great news! I don't see the point in installing Tesla-branded EVSEs if you're not going to put full power to them (which only Model S can utilize). At 40A, you might as well just install J1772 stations that any EV can use.

Sorry, I had range mode on and I fully charged when leaving TORONTO.

I agree tbat unless tbe hotel hpwc is set for 80 amps, you might as well go to a BW and charge there and save a ton of money on the hotel bill as the BROOKSTREET in KANATA is expensive.

Heading to Kingston now from OTTAWA.

Did they take your advise?
[regarding bollards around the temp Kingston Supercharger]

I don't know, I haven't visited the site or seen any newer pics (except of the damaged pedestal). To be honest, I am more concerned about the cables. Like with many temporary Supercharger installations, the cables are not below ground. I thought the pedestals were too large to not be seen.

A large snowplow can't go where the cables are, but if they clean up around the area with sidewalk-wide plow, there could be a problem.

I agree, go to the Supercharger, I think it warms up the batteries more too. My friend drove from SC to Cobourg going 120 and then I drove from Cobourg at 110 and his consumption was less than mine. We charged at Best Western in Cobourg, decent restaurant there, also Pizza hut and Boston Pizza within walking distance.

Doug and Hingisfan:

Thanks for your comments. It's good to know that you were able to charge at BW in Cobourg. I had seen comments earlier about the BW Cobourg being EV unfriendly, so I was wondering if there were a new 40 A facility.

I agree with your comments about the benefits of a SC vs a regular charging station. My trade off is that we'll be north of Toronto when we head to Ottawa so my choice is to travel south on on the 404 and DVP during heavy rush hour traffic to get to the SC or to head east before going south to the 401. The former will likely add an hour and a half travel time but ensure that I'll have enough energy to get to Kingston even in cold weather, whereas the latter route will take longer to charge up in Cobourg.

Either way, it's nice to know that the BW Cobourg is there as a back up in the future.

[regarding bollards around the temp Kingston Supercharger]

I don't know, I haven't visited the site or seen any newer pics (except of the damaged pedestal).

IMG_20150216_140306.jpg

Here is a picture from last Monday (on my way back to Brampton from Mont Tremblant). Not sure how much you can see from the snow, though.

Here are the Kingston SC's waiting to be powered.
Be sure to bring your Billy Boots when the time comes to use them.

I hope one doesn't get electrocuted when stepping into the water!
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are two photos taken each at the Kingston SC and Toronto Lawrence when at maximum charge.
No one else was at either location when I charged yesterday and yet Kingston clearly had an advantage.
I wonder if the Toronto SC has been dialled down?
I parked in the first slot in Toronto.
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Kingston has the higher charge rate on the left.

Comber. Photos from today. So close, yet so far away.

I doubt this will be open for my return trip in 5 days.

That gives me time to perfect my -20C driving-without-heat outfit for maximum effect.

Thanks very much for the update.

Were you heading for Maumee from Woodstock? If so were you able to make it? What power consumption were you seeing, and where did you charge in the Windsor / Detroit area?

Thanks for pioneering this route in the current deep freeze!

Were you heading for Maumee from Woodstock? If so were you able to make it? What power consumption were you seeing, and where did you charge in the Windsor / Detroit area?

Leaving Woodstock, the outside temp was -24C. I set the 'heat' to 17.5 and followed trucks. I managed 207 for quite a while and then it went up to 220-ish. I completely shut down the HVAC after Comber.

I was not going to make Maumee. I was too early for the Windsor Crossing Outlet Mall charger to turn on (plugshare says they turn it on at 9am). I went to the Comfort Inn and they let me plug in. Sat there for 90mins limited to 40A due to my single charger. Reached Maumee with 4 miles left. Drafted trucks and went about 65 mph. Very monotonous but, it's the only way.

Actually, one supercharger at Maumee was broken. Button didn't open the charge port and no power. I called Tesla to report it.

I am currently in the Chicago showroom waiting for a charge. I can see why autopilot is a necessity. Driving behind trucks at 65mph gets very dull.

Leaving Woodstock, the outside temp was -24C. I set the 'heat' to 17.5 and followed trucks. I managed 207 for quite a while and then it went up to 220-ish. I completely shut down the HVAC after Comber.

I was not going to make Maumee. I was too early for the Windsor Crossing Outlet Mall charger to turn on (plugshare says they turn it on at 9am). I went to the Comfort Inn and they let me plug in. Sat there for 90mins limited to 40A due to my single charger. Reached Maumee with 4 miles left. Drafted trucks and went about 65 mph. Very monotonous but, it's the only way.

Actually, one supercharger at Maumee was broken. Button didn't open the charge port and no power. I called Tesla to report it.

I am currently in the Chicago showroom waiting for a charge. I can see why autopilot is a necessity. Driving behind trucks at 65mph gets very dull.

How far behind a truck can u drive and still get the draft advantage? 6-8 car lengths?

Thanks for the report from the trenches. Arriving at Maumee with only 4 miles to spare in minus 20 C seems a bit nervewracking! I hope they get Comber working for your trip home. I will be making the same trip in the near future and will report back on the status of Comber.

BTW, what was the temperature when you were crossing the border? I am wondering whether a later start and warmer temperatures might have materially extended your range? I have noticed that the power consumption seems to skyrocket in a non-linear manner as the temperature goes below minus 15 C?

How far behind a truck can u drive and still get the draft advantage? 6-8 car lengths?

Truth be told, I am a serial tailgater. But... a good natured one. You can tell when another car is good to start a 'train' of vehicles. I guess the logic being police will likely only be able to ticket one of you.

I also drove to Utah in 2006 in a dinky Suzuki Vitara base model with no AC, a roof carrier, kayak and mountain bike. Alone, that four cylinder motor guzzled fuel to move through the air. I learned to follow trucks then. At only one point did one trucker make his displeasure known by flashing his lights and changing lanes.

Now, I am comfortably back two to three car lengths. Some will find that horrendous and it is NOT for everyone. You can tell when a trucker doesn't mind after illustrating you aren't an idiot. I mean, trucks follow other trucks for this purpose and much closer than can possibly be deemed appropriate. Basically, let him see you back there, tuck in and, watch to see if he gives you room after passing other vehicles. It also helps to change hosts every 30 minutes. Stay as long as it works for both of you but, move on if they aren't accommodating you.

Watching the graph, there is a spot where the line will drop by a third. That is sort of the zone where getting closer isn't worth it.

Thanks for the report from the trenches. Arriving at Maumee with only 4 miles to spare in minus 20 C seems a bit nervewracking!

Arriving in Maumee was VERY stressful.

So... I left there with ample charge to leapfrog Angola. Well, I thought I did. I based my guess on my conservative driving and the estimated range plunged at the 70mph speed limit with the heat on. However, I decided to go for it when I saw how far south Angola was and resorted back to 60mph behind the trucks.

I full charged after Mishawaka and thought "finally, some speed and heat to Rockport". Nope! Chicago traffic consumed my battery and I detoured to Highland Park. That was the best decision actually. For the shorter distance, I had lots of power and it made driving fun again. I have learned how far I 'can' drive versus how far I should drive.

The new 'estimated power at destination' feature has saved my butt too. I now keep 10% in reserve for the first hour or so. When I am within 60 miles of the destination, I start to whittle that down until I arrive with 1%.

So, moral of the story... except for Highland Park, all 5 of my leapfrogged supercharger stops have meant a 10 mile-or-less arrival reserve.

Arriving in Maumee was VERY stressful.

So... I left there with ample charge to leapfrog Angola. Well, I thought I did. I based my guess on my conservative driving and the estimated range plunged at the 70mph speed limit with the heat on. However, I decided to go for it when I saw how far south Angola was and resorted back to 60mph behind the trucks.

I full charged after Mishawaka and thought "finally, some speed and heat to Rockport". Nope! Chicago traffic consumed my battery and I detoured to Highland Park. That was the best decision actually. For the shorter distance, I had lots of power and it made driving fun again. I have learned how far I 'can' drive versus how far I should drive.

The new 'estimated power at destination' feature has saved my butt too. I now keep 10% in reserve for the first hour or so. When I am within 60 miles of the destination, I start to whittle that down until I arrive with 1%.

So, moral of the story... except for Highland Park, all 5 of my leapfrogged supercharger stops have meant a 10 mile-or-less arrival reserve.

My takeaway from your experience is that we shouldn't plan to skip the Superchargers in this weather, even though the numbers say that we could.

Thanks again for your updates.

Note to Tesla - There are a number of owners desparately waiting to see Comber online!