Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we can see of the Drummondville SC so far (No transformer installed yet):
IMG_20150308_084739.jpg

I have never had a problem with slow Montreal supercharges. I have seen as high as 118kW.

Update on Montréal SC slow charging:

Did the Montréal - Cornwall trip today to supercharge there, result: I peaked at 116-117 kw so my car is not the problem...

Came back right back in Montréal for a SuperCharge and the peak was again 58-59 kw (really felt that it was capped...) even if the SoC was at 10%... fifth time that I get that rate of charge at Montréal SC...

Drove for 200 km, battery was definitely warm, the temperature outside was 7 celsius at both Montréal and Cornwall...

Maybe Tesla - Montréal SuperCharger is doing throttling?

Was there another vehicle already charging in the other stall when you plugged in? If so, you have to share the power. As I understand it, whoever plugs in first gets the max power they can accept, and then as they ramp down, the second car ramps up.

If there wasn't another vehicle, then the only thing I can think of is that they're doing load management against some other power draw. That would be unusual though.

Was there another vehicle already charging in the other stall when you plugged in? If so, you have to share the power. As I understand it, whoever plugs in first gets the max power they can accept, and then as they ramp down, the second car ramps up.

If there wasn't another vehicle, then the only thing I can think of is that they're doing load management against some other power draw. That would be unusual though.

What about the Supercharger inside the service bay? Is it independent? Are people seeing limited power during the day, or are any of these occurring at night?

No other vehicle other than mine... was the only one for all the time it took to charge...

What we can see of the Drummondville SC so far (No transformer installed yet):
View attachment 74447

Drummondville is becoming a farce! Can I say the same about Comber? Yes I can!
SC's are opening up almost every day in the States and yet in Canada, when they do open, its a BIG announcement with pomp and ceremony!
I am somewhat disappointed in the SC network rollout here. Not what I was told when I bought the car.

- - - Updated - - -

No other vehicle other than mine... was the only one for all the time it took to charge...

The understanding I have is that the power grid allocated to Ferrier St. is lower than desired for Tesla so they have to make do with lower capacity.
They are working on it with the city to rectify it but that could take years!
My question remains, why did Tesla choose that area if they already knew power was going to be an issue?

This might be related so I will ask: did they fix the 1A stall at the Montreal SC? When I was there, it wasn't working and I reported that to the technical support.

Hi Khalid, hope you are doing well! Yep, they fixed it I think 2 days later... they were pretty quick

- - - Updated - - -

Curious. The Supercharger is a stack of chargers just like the one(s) in your car. If some of them weren't working then you would get less power.

Maybe a guess here but if the SuperCharger are barely use in a day (or not used at all let's say for 3 hours before I arrive for a SuperCharging) does it affect the outflow from the SuperChargers/transformers? Does SuperChargers/transformers require a little time to warm up before giving the full 115-120 kw?

Hi Khalid, hope you are doing well! Yep, they fixed it I think 2 days later... they were pretty quick

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a guess here but if the SuperCharger are barely use in a day (or not used at all let's say for 3 hours before I arrive for a SuperCharging) does it affect the outflow from the SuperChargers/transformers? Does SuperChargers/transformers require a little time to warm up before giving the full 115-120 kw?
Thanks! I hope you are doing great as well!
Actually you have an interesting point about the supercharger need to warm up. I think it would've been known by now if that's the case since Cornwall is not heavily used when you reached it (assuming you were the only one, and it got more stalls anyway). I'm sure there are a lot of similar examples in Norway since it's extremely cold like Canada.

The understanding I have is that the power grid allocated to Ferrier St. is lower than desired for Tesla so they have to make do with lower capacity.
They are working on it with the city to rectify it but that could take years!
My question remains, why did Tesla choose that area if they already knew power was going to be an issue?

For the records, I SuperCharged couple of time (maybe 2-3 times) at full rate... the problem though is only recent (maybe for the last 2-3 weeks)

Drummondville is becoming a farce! Can I say the same about Comber? Yes I can!
SC's are opening up almost every day in the States and yet in Canada, when they do open, its a BIG announcement with pomp and ceremony!
I am somewhat disappointed in the SC network rollout here. Not what I was told when I bought the car.

There are plenty of installations in the United States that took months and months. It isn't anything specific to Canada.

Does SuperChargers/transformers require a little time to warm up before giving the full 115-120 kw?

If you are referring to the Supercharger equipment and not the car, then no. There is no "warm up" period for transformers and I can't imagine there would be any such thing with the chargers other than the ramping up/down that they do in communication with the car.

If you are referring to the Supercharger equipment and not the car, then no. There is no "warm up" period for transformers and I can't imagine there would be any such thing with the chargers other than the ramping up/down that they do in communication with the car.

Agreed - I just supercharged 27 times over the past 2 weeks (trip to Florida) and never saw any warm-up period for the supercharger, even if there were no other cars there. The charging rate seems to normally be determined by just 3 things: your state of charge (i.e. tapering as the battery is charged), whether someone else is charging at the paired stall and the temperature of the battery (a very cold battery can start out slow). I could imagine other factors having an influence in some cases, like the grid voltage and the total load on the transformers feeding the SC station.

It very possible Hydro Québec got Tesla to put kW limit based on their peak usage in exchange for better rates.

As much as I don't like H-Q... I would be very surprised because it's all in contract (that's why we see the famous «Permit» status...) it's to solve all the issues before putting it all on... and as I said before, I SuperCharged couple of times at full rate...

Though, it seems that we aren't the only ones to have that problem recently as other US SuperChargers seem to have the same problem... (maybe you'll have to log in):

Slooooooowwwwww supercharging | Forums | Tesla Motors