Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Kingston Update...

Don't hold me to this, as I just had a quick glimpse from HWY 401, but I'm pretty sure Ktown SC now has juice! I could see all stalls with red TESLA back light from the highway...coming soon covers were removed. Will swing by tomorrow morning to confirm.

Glad to see Kingston up and running.
We need them now in Burlington, Vt and Plattsburg, NY, for those of us leaving from Montreal heading south.
A SC in Napanee would be ideal for those of us going from Ottawa to Toronto via the picturesque Hwy 7.

The talk about sparse usage of SCs doesn't have much point to me. Tesla is building them to anticipate and indeed stimulate car purchase and use. In common parlance, that's being "proactive," unlike most governments, which tend to be re-active or no-active. That includes in Ontario, as far as I can tell.

The message from the MTO about extending the green vehicle HOV privilege hasn't been reported with a date or quotation. The MTO has intended for many months to keep the privilege going, although "intend to" falls a little short of "are going to." There have been conflicting reports about this question, which involves more than green vehicles. There was also a call for public comment, now expired, that almost no one here even knew about.

Delighted to hear that Comber is almost done. I'll be firing up my non-engine for a westward trip out that way.

Any know...or want to speculate...on where the Tesla Ontario Supercharger Contractor/Build team is right now? I assume it is the same group moving from site to site, and I'd love to know where there are now. Anybody here want to stick a GPS tracker on their trucks?

juRcK.jpg

The talk about sparse usage of SCs doesn't have much point to me. Tesla is building them to anticipate and indeed stimulate car purchase and use.
It is kind of a chicken and egg situation. I was worried that if the Canadian SCs are seeing much lower usage than SCs in other areas then we might be bumped down the priority list for expansion of the SC network. Let's face it, even with the projected 2016 build out we aren't expected to be overrunning with SCs and there will still be pretty long gaps, at least in the winter. The Comber-Woodstock distance is about 190 km. That is stretching it in bad winter weather, like we had on Tuesday, where you have to run the defrosters most of the time to be able to see where you are going. That is about the range that I got on Tuesday coming home to Scarborough from Woodstock and I charged up to about 85% at Woodstock while I had a Timmie break.

By my calculations, 190 km should be easily doable in the winter. I never have to have the fan on higher than 1 for more than a minute, and 19°C are warm enough. I also don't drive faster than 110. Admittedly, outside temperature, wind, and elevation change are factors.

To use up all 420 km of rated range to go only 190, you'd have to be going 410 Wh/km. That's awfully hard to do…even starting at 85%, you'd need to be doing 366 Wh/km to run out of electricity on getting to your 190-km destination.

Last edited: