Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy DIY aero mod reduces wind noise and *probably* increases range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I simply put a run of black electrical tape along the window seams on top of the car. If you do it well, it could almost pass as a factory seal. I definitely notice a decrease in wind noise when driving and I suspect that it may add a mile or two of highway range (maybe???).

The front is harder to make look good since it is curved. The rear seam is straight and dead easy to make it look okay.

As for residue, just use goo-gone and it comes right off. Clean that up with some dish soap.

The tape does contract length if you have it slightly stretched when you apply it. Aim to not have much tension on it when you apply it.

8IikRuJ.jpg

pHn8mvh.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I simply put a run of black electrical tape along the window seams on top of the car. If you do it well, it could almost pass as a factory seal. I definitely notice a decrease in wind noise when driving and I suspect that it may add a mile or two of highway range (maybe???).

The front is harder to make look good since it is curved. The rear seam is straight and dead easy to make it look okay.

As for residue, just use goo-gone and it comes right off. Clean that up with some dish soap.

The tape does contract length if you have it slightly stretched when you apply it. Aim to not have much tension on it when you apply it.

8IikRuJ.jpg

pHn8mvh.jpg
Good DIY, but this is more elegant :)
Good DIY, but this is more elegant :)

Nice find, Trevor B. I saved the link.

Is the noise reduction kit still needed on newer model 3s that supposedly addressed the wind noise issue

And any downside in installing the kit? Is it easy to remove and reinstall for whatever reason.