Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy Entry caused rear seat passenger to scream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now know to be ready to stop it with the seat control when I have a passenger in the rear, and no one got hurt.

But it would have been really annoying having to clean up all that blood if her leg had been squashed.

Tesla needs to tap into the rear seat sensor and stop the seat from going back when someone's sitting there. Or am I missing something?

Aside: I posted about this on a Facebook Tesla group, and you wouldn't believe the army of Elon zombies. It was my fault, read the manual, go f myself, etc. etc. etc. One of them took time out of his busy life to PM me that I seem like the kind of person who's always complaining. These morons remind me of 1/6 insurrectionists.

I don't know whether I made the right decision to leave the group. On one hand, no thanks, and besides I got no useful responses; on the other, they want to chase out people who don't worship that putz at the helm of the company - the one who makes me feel bad that I bought one of his company's cars, great as it is.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
Send Elon a tweet, or send the anecdote to one of those Tesla websites that Elon acolytes read so that this obviously easy-to-fix issue can reach higher levels.

Has anyone tested whether the seat will stop like windows stop if it senses resistance?

You can hack this yourself. Make a profile for front only people and one for someone behind you. Turn off easy entry on the behind you profile or at least a shorter distance.

That being said, it would be better if you didn't describe this as "screaming in terror" or "cleaning up blood". You'll always get more even handed responses if you don't start with massive over-dramatization out of the gate. Getting your legs squished a bit by a seat isn't that big a deal.

Before you go calling anyone with a different opinion a moron, it isn't universal that you don't want easy entry with someone in the rear seat. Those people in the rear seat could be small kids that don't care, or it could just be a box sitting in the rear seat, Lots of people would go "how come my easy entry isn't working" if they disable it when any weight is seen in the rear seat. Simple logic always has edge cases that don't work for everyone, and it's not clear here which one would lead to the minimum number of complaints. Given tons of cars over the years have had easy entry and don't use rear seat logic, I can see why Tesla has gone with the more common industry behavior.

The real answer is for Tesla to use cameras and AI to measure the height and girth of everyone getting in the car, and then set the correct length for easy entry every time someone gets in behind the driver, right? Easy! At that point, why even allow the driver to adjust the seat, it could just set it for you as you walk up every time. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Send Elon a tweet, or send the anecdote to one of those Tesla websites that Elon acolytes read so that this obviously easy-to-fix issue can reach higher levels.

Has anyone tested whether the seat will stop like windows stop if it senses resistance?

I didn't want to test that. In this case it wasn't an old woman, but she's probably 70 - in other words, old enough for her legs to bruise easily even if it does stop! As I wrote, now I know about this I'll just be prepared with my hand on the switch to stop the seat sliding. We don't have rear seat passengers very often anyway.

Ken, do you have any suggestions for a good site to do that? I joined this one when we first got our Model 3 nine months ago, and the Facebook groups are a total clustershag full of those acolytes.

The people in the Tesla shop here suggested I just report it as a service issue. I'm reluctant to do that and have to schedule an appointment for them to tell me there's nothing wrong.

I only call morons morons and I only block morons - as I just did.
Ahh, the good old "block anyone that doesn't fully agree with me" method. Sorry you can't see that universally blocking easy access whenever the weight sensor on the rear seat detects something may not be the right behavior and that features like this are more complex than they seem at first glance. I guess only morons would think about a problem with nuance.

As I wrote, now I know about this I'll just be prepared with my hand on the switch to stop the seat sliding.
Too bad you were so busy blocking people that you didn't see that I posted a better way than this (which is also the way Tesla's manual tells you to handle this case)

Ken, do you have any suggestions for a good site to do that? I joined this one when we first got our Model 3 nine months ago, and the Facebook groups are a total clustershag full of those acolytes.
You're not going to have a good chance on the internet of finding a place where people only agree with you. Like Ken said, Tweet Elon. You have a 1% chance of him saying "done." If he says that, you have another 1% chance of it being true (and 90% of the ones that come true are because Tesla was already working on it.)

The people in the Tesla shop here suggested I just report it as a service issue. I'm reluctant to do that and have to schedule an appointment for them to tell me there's nothing wrong.
You 100% know this wouldn't work because there is nothing wrong with the car. It's working as designed. You just want the design to be more complex. The Model 3 manual even already warns about this case, and puts the work on the driver. I mean, I want my car to have a quicker 0-60 time, which Tesla can totally do in software, should I report it as a service issue too and call anyone that pushes back a moron?

1655239647501.png

1655239678355.png

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt