Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ecall and radar bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been speaking with Tesla about a couple of issues I've started to have recently. The first was that I have been getting repeated ecall failure messages, several over the last couple of months, they sometimes go away other times need a soft reboot and always reappear temporarily after a soft reboot.
The second is that I get an emergency braking failure message and loose autopilot/TACC and all visualisations bar lane markings. This one does not go away after a soft reboot and requires the car to hard reset.
Being a 2019 car I was concerned that I was about to have some sort of system failure as it had been fine up until a couple of months back. However it turns out Tesla have introduced two separate bugs that they are now working on.
The Ecall issue is related to the modem not booting and connecting in time before the system initialises and should reboot itself, but that doesn't appear to always work. He said there was a high probability that it would still work in the event of an emergency, but if it was erroring 100% of the time and never clearing then that would be a different issue (mine goes away, so is likely this bug)
The loss of all the automatic breaking and autopilot is related to a radar bug that's screwing the canbus and blocking communication to multiple systems. It's only effecting a small number of vehicles (yey me) but they are aware of it and gathering data to try and fix the issue. Unfortunately the only current solution is to pull over, turn off sentry mode and walk away hoping that the car will go to sleep after 15-20 minutes and reboot. (brake peddle and both buttons no longer works after people did it too much and things started braking)
Quick edit: It's a 2019 M3 SR+

Reactions: Lephturn
interesting, I've seen an increase in the amount of e-call failure messages on my Sept 2020LR over the last couple of months. Along with the e-call failure message popping up, visualisations stop working, the Satnav doesn't move, and none of the cameras work. I've given up reporting to Tesla as by the time my SC appt comes around the issue has disappeared (as the OP states it seems to go away after a long sleep).

Not had the loss of automatic breaking/autopilot issue appear yet, I will look forward to that one!:rolleyes:

interesting, I've seen an increase in the amount of e-call failure messages on my Sept 2020LR over the last couple of months. Along with the e-call failure message popping up, visualisations stop working, the Satnav doesn't move, and none of the cameras work. I've given up reporting to Tesla as by the time my SC appt comes around the issue has disappeared (as the OP states it seems to go away after a long sleep).

Not had the loss of automatic breaking/autopilot issue appear yet, I will look forward to that one!:rolleyes:

The e-call issue is related to the car waking up and phone signal I believe, usually resolves itself but is of course very annoying and often hard to tell if there are other errors