Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ecotricity Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's being suggested that some of the reliability problems are the result of the pilot signal generator in the Charging Station being subjected to 100V because "it is the non std Tesla leads (made up and used on a Tesla) that have caused the issues" and these "poor quality leads come from Holland & are available off the web (I have been told they are sold in kit form)" and that "The fault can appear up to 4 charge sessions later".

I personally don't give any credence to this at all but it would help me push back if I had some idea how many Type 2 ("mennekes") leads are in use in the UK and Germany (where they claim the issue also exists) and what problems (if any) people have experienced.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
It's being suggested that some of the reliability problems are the result of the pilot signal generator in the Charging Station being subjected to 100V because "it is the non std Tesla leads (made up and used on a Tesla) that have caused the issues" and these "poor quality leads come from Holland & are available off the web (I have been told they are sold in kit form)" and that "The fault can appear up to 4 charge sessions later".

I personally don't give any credence to this at all but it would help me push back if I had some idea how many Type 2 ("mennekes") leads are in use in the UK and Germany (where they claim the issue also exists) and what problems (if any) people have experienced.

Many thanks!

Never heard of this problems, most Tesla drivers I know got their lead from Tesla, I got one cable ( Mennekes connector on one side, open end on the other side) from a Holland source, which was originally produced by Mennekes) and one cable from Menneles directly.. But my cables are connected to a CEE red socket, I switch the resistor (s) manually..So only my resistors + diode could be blown up.

And as Kevin I love the dumb sockets, but they have a big disadvantage : They are so dumb that they only do what they should do, charging.

No adventures, no box which refuses to give you your lead back, no touch panel which does not work at -10C°, no...., they are really, really boring:biggrin::biggrin:

Green Park and Membury Services (M4 West) did not work today...

IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG

Ecotricty Michaelwood Services Southbound, 5 June 2012. The 13A socket was not working (no LED's and no response to card). Type 2 socket opened when card swiped but was not tested further. Fault reported to Welcome Break site manager when he appeared to photograph the Tesla. Also tweeted @ecotricity and #ukcharge a link to following video;

Last edited by a moderator:
Ecotricty Michaelwood Services Southbound, 5 June 2012. The 13A socket was not working (no LED's and no response to card). Type 2 socket opened when card swiped but was not tested further. Fault reported to Welcome Break site manager when he appeared to photograph the Tesla. Also tweeted @ecotricity and #ukcharge a link to following video;

my suggestion : "buendig absaegen und fachgerecht entsorgen" I try to translate, I hope some native speaker will help/correct me :

saw it off shortly and dispose of professionally

Another failed attempt to charge at the Ecotricity point at Michael Woods, Southbound m5.

Every time I tried to enable charging the light would flash yellow twice and then nothing. The Roadster never seems to see a signal. Now I'm starting to wonder if its me, though same equipment has worked many times before... :confused:

Another failed attempt to charge at the Ecotricity point at Michael Woods, Southbound m5.
I had problems with the 13A at this location on the 19th June but didn't try Type 2.

It would be great if you could video the problem and upload to http://www.youtube.com/user/evchargewatch (I can give you the account details) and then tweet using the hashtag #ukcharge so that all drivers are aware :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Every time I tried to enable charging the light would flash yellow twice and then nothing. The Roadster never seems to see a signal. Now I'm starting to wonder if its me, though same equipment has worked many times before... :confused:

Hi Fraccy,

Sorry to hear you've had a problem charging, we're very keen to get these issues sorted. I've mentioned it to Kevin previously, but I don't think it has been shared on here;

We have a dedicated support email address for our Electric Highway: [email protected] monitored by a dedicated team of people who respond to telephone and email enquiries.

Unfortunately it's not currently possible for them to check our @ecotricity twitter feed or monitor EV forums or Youtube for fault reports or suggestions. They also need to know RFID card number in order to follow up the issue/suggestion and to try to spot patterns, match up with log files etc...

If you haven't already - could I ask if you could please drop them a line with your full name, RFID number and/or Reg details & they'll be able to help you out. It is possible that you're doing something that is causing the fault (a Leaf driver recently reported that once they tried plugging the car in first that the charging started to work!).

Thanks
Paul

Only you Kevin ;)

I've mentioned to you that dropping our team an email on [email protected] is the best way for people to get faults resolved, but still you seem to prefer tweeting and youtube... strange that...
Nothing strange at all... the EV community wish to notify one another about the status of EV Charging Stations using twitter and youtube. I did not start these efforts, I simply support them. Personally, I wish you'd just deliver a reliable network so that we can charge our cars and not spend time talking about why we can't :confused:

For the record, when historically I reported faults to you by email I only ever received one response and that was actually for a different recipient regarding a different Charging Station!

Final point... it's no good just dipping into EV forums and then disappearing for weeks. Can you please post some responses to the faults posted on LeafTalk because the last Ecotricity post was on the 21st May.

Last edited:
Kevin - your input is the main reason for my 'dipping in and out' - I've been told to ignore you. I've also been ill lots in the past couple of months - another good reason not to rely on social media and forums as a way to 'help us deliver a reliable network'.

This is the first and last time I address you on this forum, and just to reiterate the reasons for everyone else's benefit:

As I posted on Leaftalk - you've previously stated that you:

1. Don't need or want to use our network (you believe yours is far superior)
2. Are not interested in helping us 'debug compatibility problems' with your car or cables.
3. Have a personal issue with Ecotricity founder Dale Vince

In which case, please refrain from trying to provoke a reaction from me, and for the sake of our customers (whom you claim to represent the interests of), please refrain from participating in any threads or discussions that you would like us to respond to.

You aren't helping - you are making things worse. I also have better things to do with my time & energy than to be trolled by you on multiple platforms.

Cheers
Paul

1. Don't need or want to use our network (you believe yours is far superior)
You have conveniently taken this out of context.... what I was saying is that I don't *need* to use your network because I have the range to continue when your Charging Stations are not working. That does not mean that I would not like to use it from time to time.

Clearly Zero:Net is superior in terms of reliability if we have 120 locations today and 200 working Charging Stations (100% working).

2. Are not interested in helping us 'debug compatibility problems' with your car or cables
Again, conveniently out of context.... I was talking about your supplier who I was unwilling to help further because I had already spent a great deal of time disproving the claim that it was Tesla drivers using unapproved cables in Europe that damaged your Charging Stations.

3. Have a personal issue with Ecotricity founder Dale Vince
I have said to Dale a number of times that I think he is wrong to dismiss the work of David Peilow, Andrew Bissell, Tesla, and others when they founded the first national charging station network.

In which case, please refrain from trying to provoke a reaction from me, and for the sake of our customers (whom you claim to represent the interests of), please refrain from participating in any threads or discussions that you would like us to respond to.
When your customers (my friends) get dumped on the side of the road because of the failure of your Charging Station then I take an interest in their welfare. I actually campaign at all levels for improved public charging. If you participate in public forums then the moderators will ensure that you get treated fairly. I suggest that it's in Ecotricity's best interests to respond to the concerns that customers raise whether through twitter, forums, or email.

You aren't helping - you are making things worse. I also have better things to do with my time & energy than to be trolled by you on multiple platforms.
What I suggest is that you deliver a reliable network.... I also have better things to do with my time.

I'm not sure anyone comes out of this cross-forum spat looking good, guys. Sure, the original point (namely there are some ecotricity sites not working) needed to be raised, but there isn't a need for name calling and you both represent professional organisations.

We have to remember that these are not closed fora, that the public do read them and that infighting between prominant EV proponents may have a (totally unfounded) negative influence on their purchasing decisions...