TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ecovelocity - Low-Carbon Motor Festival in London

Discussion in 'News' started by Nik, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

September 2011: http://www.ecovelocity.co.uk/whats-on/

Tesla not mentioned as participating, but low-carbon cars will be available for testing around Battersea power station, apprently.

2. Nik

Tickets now on sale, although this apparently wasn't enough of an event to trigger an e-mail to those who'd signed up for further information...

3. Nik

At the risk of this becoming a one-man thread, is anyone thinking of going along to this show? Tesla will be present, according to the website.

Mere hours after I'd bought non-refundable tickets for the show, my wife tells me that we're booked in to an unavoidable and immovable family event on the same day.

Any offers for a family ticket to Ecovelocity for Saturday 10th September? PM me if you're interested.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'm going - but planning on the Friday as I also have a family event on the Saturday. :frown:

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

There is a 50% discount promo code for this - VM16

I can confirm that it works.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Kevin, Nikki and others visited today. Seems like they had a good day (they are on the way home now).

Nik and I will be there tomorrow (also Leaf driver "EV Tornado"). Anyone else? Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#7 dpeilow, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Good to meet you on Friday Nik. I had a great time - bumped into many other regulars from the EV scene. I hardly had any time to myself!

Here's a recording of the debate that Robert Llewellyn hosted on Saturday.

Props to the guy from Nissan for the succinct answer to the hydrogen question.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Roadster there:
    [​IMG]

9. Nik

The ironic thing is that the building in the background is a former power station. It's the largest brick building in Europe.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Coal fired, no less.

I asked the organisers if hosting it in a defunct one was symbolic.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That brickwork is stunning.

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, does it really look like that or is that some sort of moire pattern?

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Could be. Though the bottom portion should do it too.

(waiting patiently for TEG to post 3 links on Moire pattern definitions) :)

Or a picture of a family of Japanese tourist standing in front of it. :) :)

14. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The whole building is stunning. It is right on the river (Thames), in an open space, with the bridge and railways passing close by at optimum viewing distance. It was the landmark I used to find the right bridge, when I grew up there (thankfully after it had finished production and spewing pollution out of its stacks).

15. zack

zack Member

Sian made an excellent point that I've never heard of before (although I'm sure it's been discussed here somewhere and I've missed it.) Batteries in cars should be two-way, so you can charge them up during the day off solar or wind and use the power for your house at night if the car is idle (which would be great all winter, really, since the car is in the house all the time if it's too snowy outside). Her specific point was slightly different from mine. It seems she suggested that electric cars could be charged up at night and used as reserve power during the day if left plugged into the grid, presumably to offset cloudy or windless days in areas where the power was primarily alternative. That would actually take load off the grid. Yes, it would decrease battery life, but it would certainly be interesting if I had my own solar panels, the grid went down in a CME nightmare situation, and I could charge all day and power my building by night using the car, with enough left over for travel.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#16 vfx, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    Looks like it's getting a facelift? Keeping the font wall and making a new building behind it maybe?

That was done with an LA landmark or two. Goodyear and Helms buildings

edit:

from your link:
    2nd edit
    Also famous because of it's visit by a pig.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#17 TEG, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Why would I go and do something silly like that?!

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You inspired me to watch the Mr. creosote scene again.

19. Nik

Likewise. I got to drive a Leaf, an Ampera, the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 (Diesel-Electric) and ride in a Citroen C0. I passed on the Renault Fluence due to having to leave early, and the battery position makes it unsuitable even for doing the weekly shopping. No boot space is all well and good in a Roadster or a Karma, but this is a regular-looking four-door saloon.

I agree with you regarding the Ampera, and I have good experience with Vauxhall vehicles, but the 4-seat configuration makes it a non-starter for me. I liked the Leaf a lot, but I would need to really consider how I could plan around the range issue. The Hybrid4 power train was very nice, the ICE bit was as smooth as all PSA diesels and the transition from battery to ICE was seamless. For the the family car, I think either this or the forthcoming 508RXH may be the way forward.