Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Education lesson for the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The irony to this whole conversation is that Tesla was an AC guy. In fact, THE AC guy. And Li-ion batteries that power the car named after him are DC components. He's probably getting a good laugh about that somewhere.

Reactions: KOAZ
The irony to this whole conversation is that Tesla was an AC guy. In fact, THE AC guy. And Li-ion batteries that power the car named after him are DC components. He's probably getting a good laugh about that somewhere.

The Tesla name of the car company was chosen because the primary device used for the electric propulsion is the induction motor, invented by Nikola Tesla. This is unusual, as all electric cars produced up until Tesla's cars were using DC motors or AC synchronous permanent magnet motors, not induction motors. Today, Tesla is also using permanent magnet switched reluctance (PMSR) motors in certain positions in the cars due to its efficiency.

The Tesla "T" logo itself is a cross-section of one segment of an AC induction motor, showing the stator (curve at the top) and the corresponding rotor segment (below), with the triangular slot for the conductor, and the air gap for the magnetic flux between the stator and the rotor.

Tomato - tomato. Does it really even matter? None of us where around when the words were invented, so we are all probably wrong. If you don't say it in an old English accent it is 100% wrong.

True. It’s not a huge deal overall for sure.
ie. Tomato - Tomato.

However, the reason we can all communicate together, is because of a standard in words and pronunciation.
The words are standardized in their pronunciation per country, state or province.

If we stray too far, we run into dialect, and other issues.
Again, I agree with you, that it’s not worth the argument, but it is worth noting that it could progress if no one cared. :)

Reactions: adrianp89
GIF. It's pronounced 'gif', people; not 'gif'. You monsters.
Both_sides_2.0.jpg

I often hear many people mispronounce The brand name Tesla. It’s especially embarrassing when people that own the car don’t know the name. The brand is named after the man, who pronounced his last name “TEZLA.” It’s not “Tess-la.” In similar fashion it bugs me to death when people call it a poorsshhhh. It’s a poor-sha

My lesson for the day..... I appreciate the fact that some people get upset with mispronunciations, yet thinks it gets upsetting for no important reason. I don't get why some people are annoyed by the way other folks pronounce words. Up here, I notice real estate agents and some locals get their panties all in a bunch when people pronounce the state in different ways. Been all over the world and people just talk differently. Hey, I am a hillbilly. I pronounce most every word as two syllables and people still understand me :D Po-lice, Ve-hicle :eek: When people criticize the way I talk, I never talk to them again. Clearly I am not smart enough for them :(

Reactions: T-Mom
bugs me to death when people call it a poorsshhhh. It’s a poor-sha

Oh, I forgot..... I think you mean "Pour-sha" not "Poor-sha". See, you mispronounced it. Beat yourself with a stick :)
Yes, it is just my terrible attempt at humor. Not intended to give you a heart-attack. ;)
I'm wondering that if things like this bother you greatly, perhaps there is an underlying cause going on in your life that you might want to look into. I'm serious. When things aren't going well in life for whatever reason, even the smallest things can be irritating.

Last edited:
  • Funny
My lesson for the day..... I appreciate the fact that some people get upset with mispronunciations, yet thinks it gets upsetting for no important reason. I don't get why some people are annoyed by the way other folks pronounce words. Up here, I notice real estate agents and some locals get their panties all in a bunch when people pronounce the state in different ways. Been all over the world and people just talk differently. Hey, I am a hillbilly. I pronounce most every word as two syllables and people still understand me :D Po-lice, Ve-hicle :eek: When people criticize the way I talk, I never talk to them again. Clearly I am not smart enough for them :(
As someone whose name is often mispronounced, I do take name mispronunciations pretty personally. :) Although usually I gently and politely correct those who get it wrong.

First time mispronouncing my name: eh, no problem, here's how it's actually pronounced.
Continue to mispronounce my name: C'mon, man!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Hyundai is a korean company. And in korea, it's pronounced Hyun-dae. And that's the correct way. But just like Porsche and other foreign companies, they wanted to make easier to pronounce and remember for english speakers.

yes, right, "hun-day". Korean speaker here...… I'm amazed that sometimes even a Hyundai car dealer doesn't know how to pronounce it. He should if he works there. Doesn't bother me. I just grin, let them say it the way they want, and ask him if he drives a Chevro-lie. It was just a joke, but he didn't get it :D He even corrected me by asking... "Where are you from? It's pronounced Chevro-LAY". I politely reply I'm from Frisco Cal-E-Furn-Ye.

Now that I am reminded, I think in the future whenever I am at a supercharger, I'll ask the other owners there...… What model Tazzulee is that? :D I wonder how many will come unglued :eek:
I guess it is pretty easy to figure out I don't care how people pronounce words as long as I understand what they mean :)

• Funny