Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of Acceleration Boost on insurance rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the things you list engine chip is nearest... Not sure if it's the same for the Y as the 3, but on the 3 boost took HP from 447 to 497 which would be just UNDER 10% (whereas Ghost takes it to 580 which would bump it to the 26%+ item in your list instead)

Thread revival - so if I need to inform insurance of the Boost modification, what will it come under.
The following options are under engine/tuning which I get to choose?

Blueprinting

Engine - non standard

Engine - other alterations

Engine chip 00-10% inc BHP

Engine chip 11-25% inc BHP

Engine chip 26%+ inc BHP

Supercharging

Turbocharging

With it being a software mod, it's not an engine chip or is it, would it come under blueprinting????
I was thinking engine - other alterations, but then it's not an engine mod, it's a software mod.

Anyone done this before, any help appreciated?
Cheers.
Clearly you have to call them and talk to a real person to find out.

Sorry if this was asked before but how does your insurance company even know? One of my other cars is a procharged Vette and in no way has my insurance gone up. Are people openly telling their insurance companies they have performance mods?
If you wanted coverage for an add on, you would have to tell your insurance company. Then once you tell them, they can increase your premium.

Thanks for the info Resist. I’ve had over 30 cars in my lifetime and have modded almost all of them. I have never thought of doing this nor known anyone that got insurance on a mod. This must be a Tesla thing. To each their own

it's not a "tesla thing" it's a "don't want to not have insurance pay out because you failed to disclose relevant info" thing.

Car and Driver said:
If you have any modified parts, you need modified car insurance. A modified car insurance policy can offer the following benefits:

It covers modified parts: Traditional policies don't usually cover modified parts, leading to expensive out-of-pocket costs if you are in an accident or your vehicle gets stolen.
It protects your policy: Not listing modified parts in your policy could cause it to be voided. By buying a modified policy, you also protect your coverage.

That second point being the more important one IMHO.

I wouldnt consider it a "modified car". Its an OEM option.

Getting the 500 hp supercharged engine in a mustang instead of the 4 cylinder version is also an OEM option.

But I assure you your insurance company cares which one you might one day file a claim on (and which one others involved in any accident with that car might file a claim on)

Thanks for the info Resist. I’ve had over 30 cars in my lifetime and have modded almost all of them. I have never thought of doing this nor known anyone that got insurance on a mod. This must be a Tesla thing. To each their own
Not necessarily a Tesla thing, just depends on the insurance company. But with a Tesla it's the software add ons that many want covered because they will be expensive to buy later if their car is totaled and they have to get a new car. For instance, when I bough my Model 3 in 2018 I got Enhanced AutoPilot For $5k and passed on getting FSD for another $3k. Then the following year Tesla offered FSD to me for $2k, so I bought it. If I had to buy FSD again it would cost me $15k. Luckily, FSD is included with Tesla insurance.