TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Efficiency of 3D/3P when using "performance mode" to simulate RWD?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by mblakele, Aug 19, 2018.

1. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

There is/was a "performance mode" with which a higher-trim S/X could simulate any lower trim. So a P100D could simulate the performance of a 100D or a 75D, etc.

Can the Model 3 do this? And if you ask a 3P or 3D to simulate a plain 3LR RWD, what happens to the Wh/mi efficiency?

I realize the second motor adds weight, which affects efficiency. Software can't change that. But I gather that the efficiency drop from the dual motor is greater than you'd expect from weight alone. Speculating, software might be able to narrow that gap.

Any 3D/3P owners care to do some testing and share data or observations?

Testing chill mode might be worthwhile too. I use chill mode with my TMS 90D to smooth out AP, and I don't see a significant efficiency improvement from that. But the behavior of the 3 dual motor might be different.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

The menu in question doesn't currently exist on the Model 3 (as of 3 days ago when I test drove a P3D+ anyway)

• Informative x 1
  3. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

It also adds friction. Apparently the front axles are just as thick as the rear axles (seems like major overkill for the AWD!). What doesn't make sense to me is why there is the same degradation at highway speeds where most of the loss should be aerodynamic.

• Informative x 1
  4. forkee

forkee Member

chill mode will get you to 60 in 7.6 seconds. much slower than the slowest of 3's.

After driving around once with chill mode on, I switched it back to sport and never looked back, lol.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It also doesn't work on the current firmware on my S P100D.