Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency of 3D/3P when using "performance mode" to simulate RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is/was a "performance mode" with which a higher-trim S/X could simulate any lower trim. So a P100D could simulate the performance of a 100D or a 75D, etc.

Can the Model 3 do this? And if you ask a 3P or 3D to simulate a plain 3LR RWD, what happens to the Wh/mi efficiency?

I realize the second motor adds weight, which affects efficiency. Software can't change that. But I gather that the efficiency drop from the dual motor is greater than you'd expect from weight alone. Speculating, software might be able to narrow that gap.

Any 3D/3P owners care to do some testing and share data or observations?

Testing chill mode might be worthwhile too. I use chill mode with my TMS 90D to smooth out AP, and I don't see a significant efficiency improvement from that. But the behavior of the 3 dual motor might be different.

There is/was a "performance mode" with which a higher-trim S/X could simulate any lower trim. So a P100D could simulate the performance of a 100D or a 75D, etc.

Can the Model 3 do this? And if you ask a 3P or 3D to simulate a plain 3LR RWD, what happens to the Wh/mi efficiency?

I realize the second motor adds weight, which affects efficiency. Software can't change that. But I gather that the efficiency drop from the dual motor is greater than you'd expect from weight alone. Speculating, software might be able to narrow that gap.

Any 3D/3P owners care to do some testing and share data or observations?

Testing chill mode might be worthwhile too. I use chill mode with my TMS 90D to smooth out AP, and I don't see a significant efficiency improvement from that. But the behavior of the 3 dual motor might be different.
It also adds friction. Apparently the front axles are just as thick as the rear axles (seems like major overkill for the AWD!). What doesn't make sense to me is why there is the same degradation at highway speeds where most of the loss should be aerodynamic.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele