Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficient Tire/Wheel Comobo for road trips

Should I do it?

• You're nucking futs

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It's a great idea

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No Idea, but tell me how it goes

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about an ultra light weight/narrow combo for road trips.

T-Sportsline 19x8.5" wheels (25 lbs)
XTREME CONTACT 245/50 R19 105Y XL (27 lbs)

That puts the wheel & tire weight at 52 lbs, or 53 lbs if I stick 255 tires on the rear.

OEM tire/wheel weight combo:
62.6 lbs (20" slip stream)
73.5 lbs (22" + Goodyear)
75.5 lbs (22" + Pirelli)

According to Teslike, there's a 17% difference in range between the 22" and 20" wheels. They tested the 22" performance, which uses the Goodyear tires.

Teslike.com

22" GY tires are 1.8% wider than the 20" tires
22" GY wheel/tire combo is 17.4% heavier than the 20" combo
22" GY tires have a 16.1% wider tread than the 20" tires (GY vs Continental + Summer vs AS, may measure differently)

20" tires are 10.2% wider tire than the 19" tires
20" wheel/tire combo is 20.4% heavier than the 19" combo
20" tires have a 7.4% wider tread than the 19" (both Continental AS)

Obviously I can't account for aerodynamics, but the T-Sportsline turbine style wheels still seem like an aerodynamic choice.

What kind of range increase should I expect, if any? I believe the most important factors are tread width, tire width, wheel width and aerodynamics. Weight is important, but I believe rolling resistance and aerodynamics are more important.

Also, am I crazy for wanting 245mm tires?

Last edited:
Personally I roll on 22’s and do a lot of long distance driving ...with density of supercharging network I don’t ever seem to have problem with range ..by switching to 20s myself I don’t think I can necessarily skip pass a supercharger which would be the reason why I would do if that was possible ..I like the looks of my 22s range not so much :eek:

Reactions: Nautikelz
My LR+ with 22" can go about 236 miles at 80mph, and that's if I want to go from 100-0%

With OEM 20" wheels/tires I could get 277 miles (a 17.67% improvement)

5% improvement over 20" = 291 miles at 80mph
10% improvement over 20" = 305 miles at 80mph
15% improvement over 20" = 319 miles at 80mph

If it were to create a 15% improvement, I would be able to go 223 miles by charging to 80% and run down to 10%. Again, by comparison, my 22" need to use 100% of the charge to do 226 at 80mph.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
Thanks for info ..I have never been able to get more than 200miles on 22s I have never charged to 100% but based on my charging to 90% if I did do 100% not sure I would end up at 200miles with a charge nearby ;)..given weight of X I’m not sure personally if I would want to drop wheel size lower than the 20s .only game changer for me if I was able to skip a charger on a long distance drive ..:eek:

I took a trip recently (600 miles total) and noticed that my efficiency with the 22's wasn't as horrendous as I previously endured. When I set the height to low, acceleration to chill and switch to range mode, I was actually surprised at the efficiency. In most areas, I was doing 75mph and I still averaged nearly 375 Wh/mi. In other areas, I hovered around 407 Wh/mi, which was much better than my 450 Wh/mi consumption on a previous trip.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I got the wheels today and I decided to go with Goodyears Eagle Exhilarate 255/50/19, but they wont be in until Monday. The Continentals diameter was a little too far away from the OEM's for my liking. The Goodyears add two pounds per wheel, but they have the same tread-width and provide a higher load capacity.

-54 lbs with the wheels, a 13.7% decrease from the 20" OEM's
-8.1" tread-width, a 7.42% decrease from the 20" OEM's

• Helpful
I do swap back and forth between the 19 and 22s. With the 22s on my P90D, I can't even get 160 miles. With the 19s, i get about 210 miles. Driving both around 70 mph on a highway.

My local Mavis Tires swap them for free if you ask them for a tire rotation service. I usually tip them $25.

I bought the 19 rims from tiretrack.

That puts the wheel & tire weight at 52 lbs, or 53 lbs if I stick 255 tires on the rear.

75.5 lbs (22" + Pirelli)

According to Teslike, there's a 17% difference in range between the 22" and 20" wheels. They tested the 22" performance, which uses the Goodyear tires.

Teslike.com

22" GY tires have a 16.1% wider tread than the 20" tires (GY vs Continental + Summer vs AS, may measure differently)

Obviously I can't account for aerodynamics, but the T-Sportsline turbine style wheels still seem like an aerodynamic choice.

What kind of range increase should I expect, if any? I believe the most important factors are tread width, tire width, wheel width and aerodynamics. Weight is important, but I believe rolling resistance and aerodynamics are more important.

Note the 22" GY tires are summer tires, so rolling resistance is likely very high. I put Continental DWS tires on my aftermarket 22" wheels and range reduction has not been terrible. Definitely less efficient, but not +15%.

Did you look at the Tesla MX 19" Cyclone wheel option?

I would expect very good range, but I wonder if braking, accelerating, and handling will be reduced.

The obvious issue is aesthetics. The Model X looks awkward with anything less than 22" wheels. 19s will look odd.

Thanks for info ..I have never been able to get more than 200miles on 22s I have never charged to 100% but based on my charging to 90% if I did do 100% not sure I would end up at 200miles with a charge nearby ;)..given weight of X I’m not sure personally if I would want to drop wheel size lower than the 20s .only game changer for me if I was able to skip a charger on a long distance drive ..:eek:

You have never charged to 100%? Why?

Do it. And record the results with as much detail as possible (weather conditions, average and max speeds, elevation change) over a bunch of miles so we can all learn from your experience. :)

The tire design and rubber compounds make significant differences in rolling resistance in addition to the geometry and weight aspects you’re analyzing, and the OEM 20s are an efficient all season tire, whereas the OEM 22s are sticky high performance tires.

I bought a set of Blizzak snow tires in 19” for my X last winter, and they added 10-15% to my consumption as best I can tell (weather changes make overall comparisons hard, but the trips right around the changeover gave me a decent impression.)

• Informative
never find need too..when I do long distance driving 100% doesn’t allow me to skip over SCs so I would rather get to SC at lower SoC to speed up charging

I always AC charge at home to 100% before I set out on a road trip. Why wouldn't you do that?

I understand not charging to 100% while you are on a road trip or during normal day-day driving.

I always AC charge at home to 100% before I set out on a road trip. Why wouldn't you do that?

I understand not charging to 100% while you are on a road trip or during normal day-day driving.
I charge to 100% sometimes, but I can give an example of why it doesn’t always make sense.

On a trip I make often, it takes about 60% of my battery to get to the first SC. I typically charge to 80% at home before I leave, arriving at 20%. If I started at 100% (which annoyingly takes away all regen at the beginning of my trip), I arrive at the SC at 40%. I need 70% as I leave that SC to get to the next SC. The time to get from 20% to 70% charge is only negligibly more than the time it takes from 40% to 70%. Actually, I just looked at my last trip data and it was 7 minutes to get from 20% to 40%. If I’m in a situation that that 7 min was important to me, if I have some uncertainty in the agenda or route and want more margin, I charge higher at home at the beginning of the trip. But otherwise I treat that first segment like all my trip segments: charge what I need to get to the next charger. Riding the bottom half of the battery increases the charging rate substantially.

75.5 lbs (22" + Pirelli)

Teslike.com

I charge to 100% sometimes, but I can give an example of why it doesn’t always make sense.

On a trip I make often, it takes about 60% of my battery to get to the first SC. I typically charge to 80% at home before I leave, arriving at 20%. If I started at 100% (which annoyingly takes away all regen at the beginning of my trip), I arrive at the SC at 40%. I need 70% as I leave that SC to get to the next SC. The time to get from 20% to 70% charge is only negligibly more than the time it takes from 40% to 70%. Actually, I just looked at my last trip data and it was 7 minutes to get from 20% to 40%. If I’m in a situation that that 7 min was important to me, if I have some uncertainty in the agenda or route and want more margin, I charge higher at home at the beginning of the trip. But otherwise I treat that first segment like all my trip segments: charge what I need to get to the next charger. Riding the bottom half of the battery increases the charging rate substantially.

I don't understand - why you would want to charge less before starting off on a trip? Why would you want to spend the extra 7 minutes charging?

I don't understand - why you would want to charge less before starting off on a trip? Why would you want to spend the extra 7 minutes charging?
Because I live at the top of a very big hill, and I don’t particularly like riding my brakes all the way down it when I don’t have regen if I’m fully charged. And I don’t think 7 minutes is much time. It’s actually probably less time than that because I didn’t account for the ramp up if starting at 40%.

But by all means, if that almost 7 min is valuable to you, start fully charged from home. Put it to good use somewhere else.

Last edited: