Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek reporting Tesla opening up orders to all US and Canada reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just get triggered when people think Tesla owes them a rebate. Tesla has huge demand right now, they should be gunning for margins and profits!

I don’t disagree. Their mission is to spread EV use though. The rich people can afford the cars without the rebate more easily than those who can only afford the cheaper model. At least make a SR with PUP required available soon or something.

To expand on that, the purpose of the rebate is to help automakers bootstrap an electric car program by stimulating demand. The Rich definitely don't need the rebate, but neither do the poor really when there are so many cheap used cars available. Tesla however is burning cash like crazy, and being able to sell a ton of high margin vehicles in this time of cash crunch is key to survival. They can definitely use the help of the rebate to bring those high margin cars into the reach of more consumers.

I'm just an armchair argumentative forum poster though so talk my analysis with a handful of salt :)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Does anyone know if...

1) you're required to put a $2500 deposit right now
2) can you change your configuration after deposit, but before your car goes into production? I believe people who already ordered prior to this had the ability to modify their order before the car is built. Wondering if the same applies now .

Does anyone know if...

Yes. Hard requirement, "non-refundable".

2) can you change your configuration after deposit, but before your car goes into production? I believe people who already ordered prior to this had the ability to modify their order before the car is built. Wondering if the same applies now .

This is what it says on the "take delivery" page, where you put in your DL#, address, location you want to pick-up at, etc., after your order is placed and your deposit paid.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.32.11 PM.png

What exactly that means in practice? *shrug* In the past though people have been able to modify until some point at which it's assumed to have gone to production. Others can provide details on how that was happening.

Does anyone know if...

1) $2500 is required to complete your order. So due now.
2) There is an”edit” button available after order is placed, but I don’t know the answer to the rest of your question.

On the topic of this thread,

Anyone know if the order of delivery is changing as a result of everyone being able to configure? I wonder if they are moving to a line based on date of order rather than date of reservation.

I would assume it is based on order date but that might make a few people angry (though those who were early reservations likely will find out the flood gates are open within a day or two)