Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bicycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a Pedego City Commuter, 48v. Really practical and efficient mode of transport. A comfortable cruizer for the road or groomed trail.

My wife and I own a Pedego Interceptor... it's a very comfortable full-sized bike, pulls our bike trailer very well. It's built very well and has several different assist modes. I met Don DiCostanzo (CEO and founder) at Teslive last year and took a few test rides there.

I wandered across this web site and remembered this thread:
Personal Electric Vehicles Electric Scooters for Adults 3 Wheel Triad 750 | Electric Vehicles

Is that the type of vehicle you're looking for?

Thanks Woof! I just emailed them to find out the details, these look cool. If it works out, I want a red one, with a little kiddie sized vanity plate holder that says "When I grow I wanna be a Tesla"

What I actually put on vanity plate depends on what I name her.

:)

And Pedego was the one I was trying to remember from TESLIVE. They don't seem to sell on their website anymore, but they have a link to order from Hammacher Schlemmer Thanks FlasherZ

Last edited:
And Pedego was the one I was trying to remember from TESLIVE. They don't seem to sell on their website anymore, but they have a link to order from Hammacher Schlemmer Thanks FlasherZ

They still sell through their site:
Step-Thru Interceptor Black with Black Rims - Pedego Electric Bikes

(At least I can add it to the cart. Didn't try checking out. I wouldn't pay retail anyway, instead I would reach out to Don, especially if you were at Teslive last year.)

I wandered across this web site and remembered this thread: Personal Electric Vehicles Electric Scooters for Adults 3 Wheel Triad 750 | Electric Vehicles Is that the type of vehicle you're looking for?
I was looking for the price, but could only find that it "cost 1/3 of a Segway". So that means around 2,500 USD for one of these?See pictures of it, if you lower the saddle and really sit down, it looks like an immobility aid, while if you have a high seat position, it looks more like a Segway kind of vehicle.

This one even folds, and looks more sporty: Rugged 3 Wheel Electric Scooter | The Lyric Motion RNG3R - 2400 USD, they are not ashamed to show the retail price.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendation, Woof

I was looking for the price, but could only find that it "cost 1/3 of a Segway". So that means around 2,500 USD for one of these?See pictures of it, if you lower the saddle and really sit down, it looks like an immobility aid, while if you have a high seat position, it looks more like a Segway kind of vehicle.

This one even folds, and looks more sporty: Rugged 3 Wheel Electric Scooter | The Lyric Motion RNG3R - 2400 USD, they are not ashamed to show the retail price.

As custom manufacturers of the wholesale Triad Electric Vehicles, we do not post our prices online so that we do not compete with our dealers that are listed on our site. Depending on the number of units that you purchase, your price will fluctuate along with the different custom options you may choose such as seat type and standard or gas front shock forks. We are not ashamed of posting our prices. As a policy we do not sell retail direct to customers because we do not compete in the market place with our dealers. If you do not have a dealer in your area you may contact us for a price depending on where you are in the continental USA, Canada or Europe. Prices will vary due to shipping.

We do not service Asia.

As custom manufacturers of the wholesale Triad Electric Vehicles, we do not post our prices online so that we do not compete with our dealers that are listed on our site. Depending on the number of units that you purchase, your price will fluctuate along with the different custom options you may choose such as seat type and standard or gas front shock forks. We are not ashamed of posting our prices. As a policy we do not sell retail direct to customers because we do not compete in the market place with our dealers. If you do not have a dealer in your area you may contact us for a price depending on where you are in the continental USA, Canada or Europe. Prices will vary due to shipping. We do not service Asia.

Welcome to the forums, triadmotion. Too bad you are not in Asia, the Triads here would be thrilled with a name like that :)

As I wrote in the email, I would come along and buy it somewhere while in the US, then take it with me. While I don't know if the price is 500 or 3000 USD, and you didn't tell me in the email, I will guess the price is roughly 2500 USD if I buy a single bike, since I found it is "1/3 of a Segway". Some of the dealers I looked up don't list the bike on the web sites, so I guess I will just have to walk in, in one of those dealer shops, while stateside.

Or buy a similar bike from China, which would cost 500 to 1000 USD for a decent model (that would save a lot of shipping CO2, twice across the Pacific as well)

jjkroll, since it was about electric bikes, and the discussion was going on about electric trikes in particular, I wanted to ask, as I need some kind of transport to get across where I live. It's very hot and humid during the summer here, getting to the bus (in a few months, to the parking garage with my soon-to-arrive Model S), can be a sweaty and sticky ordeal. Having an electric assist bike, or anything else which will pull me and a suitcase (trailer?), would enable me to get to the parking without much effort - no sweat!

Electric bikes are not allowed in Hong Kong on public roads, which is fine (well, it's not!), as I need to use it in a private area anyway. Having an electric bike, to get from your home to the parking of your electric car, makes a lot of sense to me, anyway, as I don't live in a house with a garage or driveway. The bike would also serve as "shopping cart" to and from the supermarket, which is included in the "private area" where I live. I am not lazy, it's just so tiring when it's 100+F and 95+% RH to be outside for too long.

The way people generally drive in Hong Kong, riding a bike on a public road is asking for trouble, anyway, especially now that Tesla model S is coming to HK! I know several people here who biked on public roads in HK, with bad accidents. One lost his medical entirely, bang, hit by a large truck that just didn't give a d..., lost job and everything. Safety margin isn't applied in the same way in traffic in Hong Kong, with regards to braking distance, yielding, changing lanes and so on, while speeding and riding electric bikes is enforced with military precision and brutality. Even while not speeding here, there are a lot of accidents, but as long as tickets and points are issued, and people even go to jail, the system is "happy" that it is doing it's best. Yes, lets imprison some of these nasty electric bike drivers :)

Anyway, I'll get myself an electric tricycle somewhere else, probably China. Next up is an electric aircraft and boat, then I'm all set!

Last edited:
jjkroll, since it was about electric bikes, and the discussion was going on about electric trikes in particular, I wanted to ask, as I need some kind of transport to get across where I live. It's very hot and humid during the summer here, getting to the bus (in a few months, to the parking garage with my soon-to-arrive Model S), can be a sweaty and sticky ordeal. Having an electric assist bike, or anything else which will pull me and a suitcase (trailer?), would enable me to get to the parking without much effort - no sweat!

Sorry DITB, I was referring to triadmotion's comment about not competing on price with dealerships. That is a big issue Tesla is contending with in the USA.

I just bought a 2014 Specialized Turbo S. HERE is a video review.

Turbo S.jpg

If you look online, you will find a number of downsides mentioned. To wit:

- it is very expensive ($5,900). Before this, the most expensive bike I ever bought was $299
- it is too heavy (50lbs)
- 250W is not enough power, especially at that price
- the range isn't good enough for that price
- the ride is very stiff

Here is why I bought one anyway:

- my local Specialized shop had a 40% off sale. It still wasn't cheap, but it got it down to $3540 which I was happy with given how it rides compared to other e-bikes I have tried. (After I bought it, the dealer claimed I got it for $500 under his cost). Note that next year they will have decontented versions starting at $3,800.
- it is pretty heavy. I don't like that, but I needed an e-bike or my doctor says I can't ride; and for this kind of performance it actually isn't bad. You can take out the 8+lb battery when putting it on a bike rack
- it doesn't feel ANYTHING like a 250W motor. I think that's an extremely conservative "nominal" sustained rating - peak is a claimed 700W. All-out it appears to drain the 500Wh battery in an hour...so maybe 500W? There is more power than I need
- most people complaining about range were talking about the 2013s with a 342Wh battery. It now has a 504Wh battery; in fact it sounds like they upgraded the original customers for free. I just took a 31-mile trip at 30% boost and only used 42% of my battery
- yes, the ride is indeed pretty rough. It looks like many owners are getting "thudbuster" seat posts; I will look in to that.

Here are the things I really like about it:

- It looks like a regular bike. Specialized did a great job with the design.
- It sounds like a regular bike. Really, you don't hear the motor.
- It rides like a regular bike. I haven't ridden a ton of e-bikes, but most I know of either have a throttle or a cadence sensor. The cadence sensor is always about half a turn behind you (because it has to measure how fast you are pumping), so it's a little jerky and it means that how much power it adds depends as much on what gear you are in as how much effort you are putting in. The Turbo S uses a torque sensor, which is instant and means what it adds is in direct proportion to your effort. You can set its share from 10% to 100% of what you are putting in. There's still a tiny delay, but it very nearly feels like you are riding normally...just a lot faster. The fact that it's a gearless direct rear motor probably helps here too.
- the assist on most e-bikes stops at 20mph. This one continues up to 28mph. And yeah, even with no knees I can do that speed on the flats. This really has more power than it needs.

We have some very serious hills around here, and I can now get up them and still be able to walk the next day (I used to love doing hills on a bike, but had to give it up as my knee cartilage disintegrated). My wife has a high-end road bike and does a lot of riding; now I can follow with my Turbo-S set at 30% assist. (If it's reasonably flat, I can do that for about 40 miles). Or turn it up to 100% assist and leave her in the dust like I used to. (Kidding, I try not to do that as I don't want her to feel compelled to get one!)

More details:

- yes, it has regen. There is both a mode you can set for long hills, and it engages when you squeeze the rear brake. It doesn't seem very aggressive, though.
- the lights are hooked in to the battery, with a single on-off switch. The computer backlight comes on when the headlight is on. The last few percent of the battery is saved for the lights, and there's a capacitor so the taillight will work for a short while even when the battery is dead or the bike is turned off.
- there is room for a regular water bottle cage on the battery case
- the battery locks on to the bike; you can charge it in the bike or pull it out and charge it separately. You can swap in a fresh battery
- while charging, the charge port cover sticks to the battery cover magnetically. A small thing, but one of many small touches that make the whole package really work
- the wheels are set up to be pulled off "almost" as easily as on a normal bike for when you have to fix a flat. (I would have liked a belt drive, but I think this is why they went with a chain)
- the weight is fairly low and well-balanced front to rear
- there is still a throttle you can use without pedaling; it pulls (at near full power?) up to 12.5mph. Then it kind of jerks on and off to stay about that speed
- the computer seems to be exactly what I want - large MPH display, a small mode indicator, and a small battery percentage. A single toggle button lets you go up and down through the modes, or sideways to see trip meter and odometer. Very easy to use.
- Specialized built their own battery, charger, computer, frame, wheels and tires for this bike, and had another company specially build the motor (and regen system, I think). This is no doubt why it's so expensive, but it really is put together nicely as a package. The wheels and tires seem well up to the challenge of the bike's weight

It's not perfect. Some of the downsides I've noticed so far:

- it's not suitable for off-road. A packed-down bark or crushed-gravel walking trail, sure, but that's as bad as you're going to want to take it on
- it doesn't free-wheel well. Add that to the weight, and if you run out of juice, you will not enjoy the ride home
- the computer and shifter are on the same mounting. Getting one situated just right always seems to result in the other being a little off
- the taillight is built in to the seat. You could accidentally cover it with a coat. And you lose it if you replace the seat. (Most owners seem to keep the seat; they just buy a new shock-absorbing post and drill a hole for the wire)

I'm a little worried that they aren't going to sell many; on paper it sure doesn't sound like a good deal (250W for how much?!? I instantly dismissed it when my wife sent me a link a year ago; I just happened to be offered a test ride a week ago when we were in a store buying her a new tube). But I really like it; it feels much nicer than other e-bikes I have tried (though I have not tried many). Like EVs, it seems to be one of those things you have to test-drive to find out how much you like it.

I think I am going to be putting fewer miles on my Roadster now.

------------

It looks like the Stromer ST-1 Platinum is a pretty similar competitor. 500W direct-drive hub motor, torque sensor, 522Wh battery integrated in to downtube, 28mph top speed. It's cheaper - about $4k (well, I paid less than that, but comparing apples to apples) - but 12lbs heavier and the components aren't quite as good. Sounds like head-on competition for next year's cheaper Turbo, especially given that the Stromer and cheaper Turbo are both available with semi-offroad tires and a front shock.

Last edited:
I am thinking of opening an all electric bicycle store. Do you think it would work in an area that has four seasons? I flew to California and met Don Costanza of Pedego, the president of Curry electric bikes and one other company. It was very interesting. What about in the winter time???

I am thinking of opening an all electric bicycle store. Do you think it would work in an area that has four seasons? I flew to California and met Don Costanza of Pedego, the president of Curry electric bikes and one other company. It was very interesting. What about in the winter time???

That's really cool that you got to meet such high up people from such ubiquitous electric bike companies! Regarding if e-bike stores can function in a four-season place, there are a few of them up here in the north east, so in theory, yes (here's the one I bought from: E-bikes of NE - Electric Bikes E-Bike Conversion Kits). That being said, it's probably going to depend on supply / demand.

What's the supply like in your location? Are there other e-bike stores around that you'll be competing with? If so, what makes your store better / different?

What's the demand like for e-bikes in your location? This is going to depend on more than just seasons, but also income levels and whether or not you're in / near an urban environment. Demand can be hard to predict.

Regarding winter time, regular bike stores in the north east have the same problem. They usually become ski / snowboard stores in the winter, and then go back to being bike stores in the spring, summer and fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to throw it out there, I found this website very helpful when deciding which e-bike to purchase:

Site: Electric Bike Review
Forum: EBR Community

Here's the review of the Specialized Turbo S, and the associated section on the forum:
Review: Specialized Turbo S Review
Forum: Specialized | EBR Community

Same story here (Pacific NW) in the winter - most bicycle shops become ski/board shops. That's why the shop I bought from was selling bikes below cost - to get them out of the way for winter, when nobody buys them anyway...and if they keep them until next year, they will be last year's model and have to sell them at a discount anyway.

Like electric cars, I think test rides are critical for electric bikes. So you'll want to choose a location that gets lots of passers-by (not just people driving out to see your business) and has a good route nearby for rides.

Appreciate the comments JROD and Chad. The way I see it, I cannot understand why anyone (unless you are Lance Armstrong - and even he had help we find out) would buy a regular bike when with electric, you can still do all the work if you chose but it also gives you options of having help pedaling or the option of not pedaling at all. There are no electric bike stores by me. There is a Trek store and I believe they have one model but thats about it. Its like having a Tesla. My wife needs a new car and I find it almost impossible to buy an ICE. Once you know or experience it, it is very hard to go back. This correlates with what Chad said - the terminology is "butts on bikes" thats what sells them. I agree other bike stores make it thru the winter so you push Christmas sales and maybe add a different line of items in the winter. Markup is good at the beginning of the trend and will weaken with saturation of the product. Would be many good years until saturation occurred.

After loving my Model S for nearly 2 years, I finally got serious about looking for an electric bicycle. A long search led me to a small company in Colorado called Optibike (High-Performance Electric Bikes | Motorized Bikes | E-Bike Optibike). These guys sell high end electric bicycles, but their "entry" level model the "Pioneer Allroad" was exactly what I was looking for. The bike sells for less than $3K. It looks great. A 500 watt motor is mounted on the crank (where it should be), so you can easily change a flat tire if need be. The battery is a cylinder that deceptively looks like a water bottle. I guess these bikes are popular because it took 3 months for my bike to arrive. I'd have to say it was worth the wait. The pedal assist mode is great with speeds up to about 22 mph. It's effortless to cruise in pedal assist mode at 18 mph on level pavement. Battery can be easily removed with a key. The LCD computer is great, although it's missing a mode for "time". I took a 12 mile ride today, only using 1/4 of the battery in pedal assist mode. Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't have an electric bike but I just ordered an electric scooter (stand-up type) after reading this thread over at Tesla Motors:

Anyone else have an electric scooter for their MS? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I liked how it fit nicely in the space under the trunk, and now I can drop my wife off with the luggage at the hotel and scoot back after dropping the vehicle off at a charging station which are not always that close to the hotel. I'm not lazy -- in fact I am typing this from my treadmill desk -- but when out and about I like to save time on walking and this also looks fun -- although I am certain I will look and feel silly riding it but I can take it -- my wife's already laughed at me when I told her I ordered it.

I ordered it yesterday and it arrives tomorrow according to the tracking -- so they sure ship fast (to my box in Blaine WA). If anyone is interested, I will post a review after I get it.