Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not counting differences in price and performance, I see it like this:

- With a 6-speed transmission, you may be more likely to 'convert' existing motorcycle enthusiasts to EV bikes.

- Without any transmission or shifting, you may be more likely to get non-motorcycle-riders to buy their first bike as an EV.

- With a 6-speed transmission, you may be more likely to 'convert' existing motorcycle enthusiasts to EV bikes.

- Without any transmission or shifting, you may be more likely to get non-motorcycle-riders to buy their first bike as an EV.

I would say if the bike is done right you would convert. Just like the Roadster.

I disagree. I have driven manual sports cars for years. I don't miss shifting one bit in my Roadster. The lack of a transmission is a HUGE benefit of an EV. More and more bikes are coming with automatic transmissions. To imply that riders "like" shifting is just plain wrong. I can't wait to get an electric sportbike so I can do track days without shifting.

Just like w/ a Tesla, you have to get someone to drive/ride one and they'll abandon that clutch pedal/lever as fast as they can.

The transmission on the Brammo has got to be covering up for limitations in their motor, controller, batteries, etc. Lightning did 216mph with no transmission. Are their tradeoffs? Of course, but a happy medium can be found (ie the Roadster) to use the unique capabilities of an electric system such that you don't need the crutch of a transmission.

Lightning will build you a bike just like the ones they race. Michael Barnes was bringing up the front wheel going down the straight at Infineon last weekend. Their fastest lap time there was about 1:51
I believe the price is $40,000. I heard a lower figure more recently but I haven't verified it.
Yeah, Richard told me $38k when I met him at an Earth Day event. The DNFs they had at Infineon worry me and I'm waiting for a bit more refinement (nicer bodywork, cleaner rear set design, etc). I also want to make sure the company survives to service it - I'm glad I waited to buy my Roadster for both of those reasons. Richard showed me an artist's rendition of the street bodywork and it looks great. They also had one of their road bikes on display and IIRC was ~$8k. I also want to ride one (Richard said he'd holler at me next time they're out doing testing) first. But the wife already green-lighted the purchase so it's just a matter of deciding if and when it's the right bike for me.

You might also consider a bike from Münch. They are releasing a street version next year, I believe.

We'll hopefully see how well the race bike measures up this year at Daytona. They were a little slower than Mission and Lightning last year at Laguna Seca, but they've improved the software since then. Also, their rider is a big guy.

Also, CRP Racing should have the Energica ready sometime soon.

What kind of road bike was Lightning talking about for 8k?

A transmission is an architectural flaw, covering up other deficiencies.

I'm with Eric and Strider - a manual transition, as slick and easy as it could be, will still have moments when it's not in the right gear. A single reduction gearbox suffers no such flaws, and that provides efficiency and latency benefits.

I've never owned an automatic, and never will. But, at this point, I don't think I'll go back to ever owning anything with a transmission at all. I do occasionally miss it, in a nostalgic 'that was once fun but sucks in comparison' sort of way.

The TT Zero, a one-lap electric motorcycle race of the 37.73-mile Snaefell Mountain course on the Isle of Man happens next Wednesday. Eighteen bikes are entered. Here's a look at who/what's coming.

History will be made at the 2012 TT Zero. A preview.

mugen-shinden-wheelie-628.jpg

Undertail radiator a la the Benelli Tornado. But yeah, I have to believe that if the extra aero bits mattered that the ICE boys would be using them too. They have way more money for wind tunnel time than Czysz) Higher efficiency = more top speed. Ducati has played around w/ aero bits here and there on their GP and WSB bikes but nothing like this.

The biggest confusion for me thusfar w/ the electric race series is that there is often huge disparities in rider ability amongst the different brands. For instance, at Laguna last year. Mission may not have had the best bike as Steve Rapp has been riding a very long time and knows the track very well. Not taking away from the other riders but the skill levels seem pretty wide between groups. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the series progresses and attracts more riders.