Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Power Lift Boot Retrofit At Tesla SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the Hansshow dual motor tail lift kit fitted to my car by the ever helpful @Mr H unfortunately my car was the only one of dozens he'd fitted that put up a fight when it had been fitted - it worked but threw up a battery fault and the car wouldn't go to sleep. A low voltage battery fault wouldn't reset so I had to book it into Crawley SC to fix. They insisted that the tail lift kit had to be removed or they wouldn't touch it. @Mr H came back to disconnect the kit and Crawley SC kept the car for a week while they checked things out (I got a big old Model S with a low front tyre pressure as a loaner). Crawley said it was a 'no warranty repair' and charged me £170!
Finally after receiving the 'fixed' car @Mr H came a third time, in terrible weather just before Xmas 2020, and refitted the lift kit. It's worked perfectly ever since no problems at all.

(We think there was another system reset procedure that could have solved the problem I had on the first fitting that he only learned about by the third fitting. Many thanks to @Mr H :) )

Reactions: Mr H
I'd wait to see its reliability first and let a few design updates feed through. Looks to still be a single powered strut.

My powered boot strut has already been changed and also had the soft recall done. Some people have found theirs locked open and had to disconnect the strut to close the boot. There are a few design faults which need addressing. They will, but Tesla do like to use its customers as product testers.

However... As a feature, it is nice to have. Just a shame it can't really be intelligent and use the rear camera to spot when someone wants the boot open. Why else would you be standing there holding a large box while facing the boot.

is this a retrofit to the old manual boots to make them like current ones, or is it ‘intelligent’ to add foot activation? They were doing somethign under the car which you woudln’t expect if it was just replacing the lock and struts?

What I really want is a model 3 Gran Coupe with a full rear hatch like the i4..