Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical\Mechanical Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent enough time on this forum to know the answer but I guess I don't. What are the mechanical and electrical differences between the P85D and the 85D or the P90D and 90D? What are the items that provide the performance increase between these two?

Is my understanding correct that the upgrade to insane or ludicrous is only a different fuse allowing greater amperage to the motors?

Mechanically the only difference is a larger rear motor in the P car.

Electrically between a non P and P excluding ludi, nothing, they are the same.

A ludi has a different fuse enabling higher current delivery. Some believe this is in all 90 battery packs, personally I don't.

The rest is software.

Lots of talk on why the performance difference, my view is the larger rear motor enables more % of power to be delivered at the rear on launch aiding initial acceleration (none of the cars can max out both motors at the same time). Above 30 there is little difference as it becomes battery limited. Ludi raises the battery limit enabling a bit more if everything. It's pretty simple really

Reactions: WarpedOne
Mechanically the only difference is a larger rear motor in the P car.

Electrically between a non P and P excluding ludi, nothing, they are the same.

A ludi has a different fuse enabling higher current delivery. Some believe this is in all 90 battery packs, personally I don't.

The rest is software.

Lots of talk on why the performance difference, my view is the larger rear motor enables more % of power to be delivered at the rear on launch aiding initial acceleration (none of the cars can max out both motors at the same time). Above 30 there is little difference as it becomes battery limited. Ludi raises the battery limit enabling a bit more if everything. It's pretty simple really

Pretty much as I thought. This certainly is a high margin area which is good for Tesla for two reasons. For a negligible amount of money these upgrades provide significant profit supporting growth, and should competition come in, there is plenty of room to lower pricing while maintaining profitability. Of course the downside for the buyer now is the huge premium for performance.