Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electronics shut down at 15% bat & 15F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home in 15F temps, the car electronics shut down at about 15%/50 miles on the battery. Still had the snowflake next to the battery display. The car was driving normal, but the screen was constantly rebooting and the garage door opener button didn't work. I wonder if the battery voltage gets too low.

Got this response from Tesla:
In these extreme temperatures the batteries will get cold and they will pull the energy away from the non essentials of the vehicle. You will still be able to drive and do the basic functions, but when you get that low the vehicle will push what it can to the batteries to keep them in good order.
Now, that being said, if you find yourself dealing with this issues and the batteries are NOT cold or you are NOT low on battery life, then we will want to get you to call in for troubleshooting.​

Driving home in 15F temps, the car electronics shut down at about 15%/50 miles on the battery. Still had the snowflake next to the battery display. The car was driving normal, but the screen was constantly rebooting and the garage door opener button didn't work. I wonder if the battery voltage gets too low.

What was the state of charge before you started driving and how long were you driving?

What was the state of charge before you started driving and how long were you driving?
I started driving with 70 miles left on the battery and the temperature around 5 degrees. Traffic was slow and the outside temps were about 15 degrees, so the battery probably didn't heat up much over the 90 minutes (over 40 miles) before the constant reboot. This was downhill and in the past the 40 miles would use up only ~20 miles of battery.

This is a difficult, unusual situation for an EV battery. I did partially to push the limits.