Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elevating Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any Tesla owners, preferably those dealing with the Fremont Service Center, have any recommendations on who to contact if you can't get your question answered by your service rep. or anyone at the local service center? My representative is unable to tell me why my supposedly new P85 battery max charges at 250 mi and is unable to put me in contact with a tech or anyone who can answer my question. I appreciate any feedback anyone has on this subject.

How is it a "new" 85 kWh battery? Was it a warranty replacement? Then it's likely a refurbished (used) battery pack.

250 miles is actually pretty good for a 85 kWh battery. I was getting only 246 on my P85D a few months ago, but this weekend did a 100% charge to only 241. I'd be ecstatic to get 250 miles. Even still, 241 is more than enough for any road trip I've done, it doesn't concern me too much. I suspect if I try and rebalance the battery pack a few times I could get it back up to 245 or so.

How is it a "new" 85 kWh battery? Was it a warranty replacement? Then it's likely a refurbished (used) battery pack.

250 miles is actually pretty good for a 85 kWh battery. I was getting only 246 on my P85D a few months ago, but this weekend did a 100% charge to only 241. I'd be ecstatic to get 250 miles. Even still, 241 is more than enough for any road trip I've done, it doesn't concern me too much. I suspect if I try and rebalance the battery pack a few times I could get it back up to 245 or so.

Thanks for the response. According to the invoice, they replaced it with a "new" battery. It was a warranty replacement after my original battery was flooded last year.

I'm more concerned about why I can't get a straight answer from Tesla about whether it was a new or refurbished battery than the loss of 15 miles. Before the original battery was flooded, I was full charging at 259. I was surprised that it was so close to the original 265.

Reactions: bonaire
I think to get a proper and good range "estimate" from the battery, you should drive it down to low-state of charge, such as 10 miles remaining and HPWC it back up to 95% or so (don't do a range charge unless you intend to drive immediately after). By doing a full depletion and re-charge, at least once a month or two, you let the computation learn.

I think to get a proper and good range "estimate" from the battery, you should drive it down to low-state of charge, such as 10 miles remaining and HPWC it back up to 95% or so (don't do a range charge unless you intend to drive immediately after). By doing a full depletion and re-charge, at least once a month or two, you let the computation learn.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have driven it down to about 20-25 miles before but never to 10. Can the range estimate on a new battery change within a few months ? I was under the impression that all new 85 kwh batteries had a 265 mile range for at least a few years when it starts to degrade.

...It was a warranty replacement after my original battery was flooded last year...

If you don't mind asking: How did you persuade Tesla to cover flood?

upload_2018-10-18_19-53-32.png

Thank you for the suggestion. I have driven it down to about 20-25 miles before but never to 10. Can the range estimate on a new battery change within a few months ? I was under the impression that all new 85 kwh batteries had a 265 mile range for at least a few years when it starts to degrade.

I would doubt it is "new", but they have the right to install a refurbished battery for a warranty replacement. Also, range is not warranted, just usability. There isn't wording in the warranty about battery range depletion and replacement if it goes below n %.

I would doubt it is "new", but they have the right to install a refurbished battery for a warranty replacement. Also, range is not warranted, just usability. There isn't wording in the warranty about battery range depletion and replacement if it goes below n %.

I know they have a right to, but according to my service rep. it is new. If this is the case it should not have lost 6% of the stated 265 kWh range they claim their new batteries get after 6 months. That is a ridiculous amount of degradation.

View attachment 345092

View attachment 345092

I just told them what happened and they took it in for repairs. Perhaps it was something else, or maybe they just decided to cover it anyway. I guess I should be thankful they covered it and not stress too much about the slight degradation from 265 to 250 miles.

What happens with a battery management system is that it will not allow overcharging or under-voltage of a series of cells. If one or more cells fails in a series-set, it will register too-high a voltage when charging or too low when it is driven down to a low SOC. Good BMS will not allow these points to be hit and rather will perform cell charge balancing during charging to keep a series set from over-voltage and also monitor for low voltage and stop the HV from allowing a set to too go low. Perhaps you have a cell or two failed in the newer-installed battery.

Reactions: BrandonG