Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ellensburg Supercharger - Reduced Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
The Ellensburg Supercharger is showing reduced service/closed right now. Has anyone been through there lately? I have several trips through the area coming up in the immediate future, and not having access to Supercharge there will be a big issue.

If it's slow that's obviously not a good thing, but if it's closed I have a much bigger problem on my hands.

I charged there on the 19th and it was slow but definitely operational. I want to say I was getting ~50kW with ~50% SOC. I tried 2 or 3 bollards with the same result.

I would definitely call Tesla and ask what the status is before leaving on a trip. If you are going to points eastward, you could try taking state route 410 to the supercharger in Kennewick. It's ~210 miles from Puyallup so should be doable in your 85D. From there you can easily get to Ritzville or anywhere east of that. But if you are headed to north central WA, you will definitely have to make other arrangements.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibdb
I just called Tesla, and they were saying operational, but at reduced capacity and/or with intermittent problems.

I'll be sure to head for 1a and 1b and see how it goes. Today's trip is to CWU and back, which is just outside my comfortable range on a single charge (even at 100%). It might be possible if I slow down enough, or if traffic is bad enough, but at normal speeds over the pass is asking a bit too much. I have another CWU trip coming up, and a third that could take me to points further east, so this will be a good test.

I just called Tesla, and they were saying operational, but at reduced capacity and/or with intermittent problems.

I'll be sure to head for 1a and 1b and see how it goes. Today's trip is to CWU and back, which is just outside my comfortable range on a single charge (even at 100%). It might be possible if I slow down enough, or if traffic is bad enough, but at normal speeds over the pass is asking a bit too much. I have another CWU trip coming up, and a third that could take me to points further east, so this will be a good test.
Just drive slow on the way there and have a L2/L3 backup plan.

Tried 1B and 2A -- both quickly dropped down to around 50kW and were continuing to slow. I was the only one there, but didn't think continuing to juggle stalls was likely worth the effort.

Tesla confirmed a PlugShare report that a service team is due there on Monday to look at the problems at the Superchargers.

Almost left at my minimum acceptable buffer level, then thought better of it and waited. Patience was rewarded when I ran into a significant backup caused by an accident. Average speeds were in the low to mid single digits for an hour. At 95+ degrees, heading into the sun, and with a hot wind blowing, that led to lots of AC and way above average energy usage. Arrived at home having used about 10% more of my total battery than normal for that trip.

Not Ellensburg, but just made a trip from Portland, OR to northern Utah yesterday and pretty much every single supercharger on the way was slow. I got lucky in Boise, but everywhere else took 3 stalls to finally get something that would stick in the 90kW range at mid-SoC, but there was one that I tried 4 stalls and couldn't get more than 60kW sustained at any SoC. Pushed my arrival time all the way to 3am.

Not Ellensburg, but just made a trip from Portland, OR to northern Utah yesterday and pretty much every single supercharger on the way was slow. I got lucky in Boise, but everywhere else took 3 stalls to finally get something that would stick in the 90kW range at mid-SoC, but there was one that I tried 4 stalls and couldn't get more than 60kW sustained at any SoC. Pushed my arrival time all the way to 3am.
I travelled all over the west recently and was maxing out at 90kW everywhere. I used to get up to 110+kW. I was thinking it was something to do with my car/chargeport, but maybe it was just the hot weather? When I came home I tried the brand new supercharger in Arlington late at night with temps in the 50s and did do a little better there but still only 95kW.

I travelled all over the west recently and was maxing out at 90kW everywhere. I used to get up to 110+kW. I was thinking it was something to do with my car/chargeport, but maybe it was just the hot weather? When I came home I tried the brand new supercharger in Arlington late at night with temps in the 50s and did do a little better there but still only 95kW.
We did a trip to Jackson and then down to Mammoth Lakes at the end of June and saw this too. It was puzzling for sure. I'd actually noticed it earlier in the spring on trips to Spokane and Walla Walla and actually asked the Service Center to check it out. All I got was that Tesla has noticed some Superchargers acting a bit "under the weather". :rolleyes:

Better today. Arrived with about 45% battery remaining. Charging started at about 100kW, and then tapered down at what seemed to be a more appropriate rate. I was the only one there, and didn't check any other stalls. Temps were in the low to mid-90s, which probably doesn't help.